Backleads

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I've just finished reading Grahams review on the Korda 2 video. I'll be watching it myself shortly, however Graham mentions a good point about backleads when he says "Backleads? Standard backleads, the ones you slide on the line from the rod tip, are as good as useless. Flying backleads are much more efficient"

I must confess I do use backleads but thats only when there are two many lines in the water. I tried the flying backleads but to no avail as I struggled to lead out there on the cast. However this is probably down to the ones I used years back and haven't tried again since.

What are your views on backleads in general and what flying backleads on the market today are the better option?

C

Cakey

I will look at Grahams piece later and get back but I have used both, Ive used both together and Ive even super glued a fly lead to my tubing so as I know its sunk and out of the way.
Ive also fish a few places where if you dont back lead you dont catch !
but I dont like using them unless I really need to because there are to many angles for bite indication.
byeeeeeeeeee

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It was shown quite clearly in the DVD that if you were fishing at 40yds or more standard backleads only pinned the line down near to the rod, even when they were slid out a good distance. Close to the rig the main line was still well off bottom, especially braid.

Flying backleads, although not perfect, at least did a much better job of pinning the line down where it mattered, closer to the rig.

It didn't say so in the DVD but a flying backlead that flies back a fair way, combined with a leader of dense fluoro or lead core line, could be the best answer where it is essential to get the line down on the bottom.

The DVD made you realise that fish are taking baits most times in spite of set-ups rather than because of them. Some of the rigs we use are just so 'obvious'.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Stuart, Korda recommended the Gardner flying backleads, but I've never used them. I use the Fox ones. I'll try the Gardner ones when I find some in the shops.

C

Cakey

And all this only works if you fish slack lines ,tight lines lifts it all up of the bottom anyway !

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Im just thinking of us lot in Valdore, we're fishing double swims with four rods a piece and the very thought of all those lines going into the water is scary. I'll be fishing 6 foot leadcore to get a better line drop and will also be fishing slacklines.

But we've got two issues here:

1) without pinning it all down, we could have major issues if a take commences and a probabled wipe-out may occurr across other lines and...

2) The actual amount of lines visible in the water at the same time - spooky.

Suggestions?

S

sash

Must admit I do like to have the last 8/10ft of line kept down on the bottom. By adapting the flying backleads by glueing tubing through them the fly-back can be reduced to this sort of distance.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I haven't read Grahams review yet, but what he says in the above posting makes sense. also what Cakey says is true, but from what I have seen anglers do, (tighten right up) not many people realise keeping a slack line is important.
I use ordinary back leads on the canal, which is a must because of the boat traffic more than anything. It doesn't seem to affect the carp either way. But I feel more confident useing them.

Blunderer

Reaction score
I use flying backleads along with normakl backleads and a slack line.
For me, if I use a rod pod and no backlead, I invariable cross lines when landing fish, particularly in the dark.
My catch rate went up as soon as I started using flying backleads on a clear, difficult, pressured water.
I don;'t find bite indication a problem as I invariably use bolt rigs.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Stuart, that scene you describe sounds like you want very slack lines, long leadcore leader, a flying backlead and a standard backlead. And the heaviest sinking mono mainline you can get hold of, within reasonable diameter.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Thats a fair observation Graham and I'll take that on boarg and think on. Just gotta see what my fishing buddy for Valdore is gonna do!

and that's Cakey.....

B

Bully

I would worry more about what he does on the bank Stu !

I use "normal" back leads, but only because the two waters I normally fish are NOT old gravel pits, and therefore have a very uniform bottom, which means sliding the weight down is fine.

To me, and considering I have only just learnt how to use lead core etc, the key question is why do you think you need to use them? If it is because you want 100% presentation at the business end (but for no other reason) surely lead core suffices? If its for Stu D's situation, then maybe you need to go the whole hog.

One question though. Surely if you cast out, and then play out line (after its sunk) the line will surely hug the contours of the lake bed? I sometimes wonder if some people get too hung up on having tight lines. I can understand it if snag fishing, but you will still get a quick registration (I think) if your line is slack, but hugging contours.

M

Malcolm Bason

I will be fishing slackish lines and wherever possible no backleads!

If there is a chance of a carp kiting across and under others' lines then by lifting one rod over the one your playing the carp on, the problem is overcome.

There is in my humble opinion, more chance of snagging up several lines when they are backleaded!

If I know there is a likelihood of my lines being over the top of weed, I know the line has no chance of hugging the bottom, therefore there is no use in backleading!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Bully, good points, but as you know I use 6 foot leadcore leaders so no issues at the business end therefore my problems lie at the rod end and bank to mid water where a running carp will pick up lines and tow across others etc. The double swim we will be in will see both Cakey and myself fishing 8 rods. Now obviously we can discount 2 automatically based on both fishing a left and a right margin a piece. Being totally honest I haven?t got a major issue with the use or not use of back leads based on I?ll be using slack lines anyway and I have confidence in ?knit one, pearl one? with my rods etc (as long as Rob Tudor ain?t about to tangle me up), its more the visibility of 6 lines in the water (and in winter where its tough anyway) and what message this send i.e. Danger!

I appreciate Grahams point about the carp didn?t necessarily take much notice of the tackle around them, but again what time of the year was the video taken? (not sure, not seen it yet).

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

"its more the visibility of 6 lines in the water (and in winter where its tough anyway) and what message this send i.e. Danger!"

Use a fluoro coated mono.

Or fish one rod each.

C

Cakey

I'll be using two flyback leads (one super glued to the tubing) and one normal back lead .
fly back leads dont work with baitboats though...............
You know what line I use..............

R

roto fryer 1

i use captive backleads when using 3 or more rods just to keep the line out of the way if i catch a fish.
i feel that backleads are really a waste of time, in relation to pinning the line flat on the lake bed, unless you have a flat lake bottom at the water you are fishing on.
the trouble with leadcore is that people use it where they should not!

B

Bill Cox

What i,d like to know stu is why do you feel the need to use four rods? If the fishery allowed unlimited rods where would you stop ? 6 , 7 , 8 rods apiece ?