Trent Double

J

John McLaren

Congratulations on your success Ian, I enjoyed reading about the build up to it. What we Ribble fishers wouldn't do for a "bottom was clean and free of weed and debris, and clear of any snags"!

J

john conway

"Eight barbel and a couple of chub, but more importantly a Trent double"
Excellent session Ian and hopefully the first of many Trent doubles, congratulations.

N

NottmDon

Well done Ian, Ive had a few sessions on the Trent but no joy so far, still awaiting my 1st ever Barbel. It's encouraged me to keep at it. Strange that a lot of Barbel guys have been saying between 5pm and midnight is a good time for Barbel on the Trent. Its a time I cant manage unfortunately due to other commitments, but I do get some early morning sessions under my belt, usually in the dark too so I take my hat off to you for the skill it takes to have such a fantastic catch.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
NottmDon, when the river is at it's normal level then it's usually hard going in the daylight.

I fished the Trent right through the night before last. I lost a couple, but my first of 3 Barbel came at 1.50am!

Sometimes, it's better to get 2 hours in darkness than all day in daylight.

I assume that under darkness their confidence increases and they begin to move above. The move gound they cover, the more chance they have of finding your bed of bait.

When the river is up and coloured you've got a much better chance of them feeding through daylight.

N

NottmDon

Thanks for the tip Matt, much appreciated. I'd kind of come to the conclusion (with some advice from other Boris catchers) that a night time session is the way forward and I'll be giving it a go hopefully this week.May even give it a go daylight when flooded, in fact I cant think why I haven't tried that before!

N

NottmDon

Matt
Thought you'd like to know that I managed a night session as you advised and caught my first ever Barbel weighing 8lb4oz. Thanks a million m8. Also thanks to Ian for proving that they can be got from the Trent! It's made my year!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Well done!

I don't know how long it takes you to get to the river, but I find it a good idea to get there a couple of hours before dark so I can set my stall out.

I'll get some bait out and make sure my peg is organised so I don't fall in.

Often I'd not cast in until the sun is about to disapear over the horizon.

There's no need to stay all night if you've got other things to do, but if you can get three hours of fishing in when the water is warm enough you will be in with a good chance.