Hunting with Hounds

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I was speaking to a friend of mine just a few minutes ago who is a big supporter of the CA.

Next February a certain day is to be selected when EVERY hunt in the country will be out in force - hunting foxes.

It's going to be very interesting, isn't it.

They say it will be the biggest example of civil disobedience since the Civil War. It will be most interesting to see how the police handle it.

W

Wolfman Woody

Brilliant! Couldn't have ended better.

Bearing in mind that a total ban was always on the cards, but the secret plan of teflon Tony was to bury the case until after his third election.

Now it will be at the very centre of it.

An we've still got to see it all go through Europe.

L

Les Clark

Ron,the police won`t be seen for dust,they will be nicking anybody doing over 30m.p.h.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Yes Les --that's a better source of revenue ....

R

Ron Troversial Clay

They have cameras to do that Les.

What I think the foxhunters want to see is the police attempting to arrest many hundreds, if not thousands of people on one particular day followed by the courts being swamped with cases, and repeat cases until they will have to build lots more prisons.

But I have the temerity to think that maybe, just maybe, the Tories will get in at the next General election and that they will overturn the bill.

L

Les Clark

Ron,most of the cameras don`t work,or dummy`s,the police will be told to be softly softly,turn a blind eye when possible.

P

Phil Hackett 2

The dichotomy is this, about 1 one-fifth of the population live in the countryside and four-fifths in the urban and urban fringe. If it is to be a class war as some say this issue is, Labour could turn this to their advantage by making it a key cornerstone of their election strategy and a single issue election.
E.g. We will if re-elected fully implement and police the ban on hunting with hounds.

From the conversations I?ve had with people locally, and I live in the inner-city, I?ve heard no one support the retention of hunting with hounds. The views have ranged from a mild, I think it should be banned, to, ban it because it?s done by ****ing upper class t***s.
If it does forms part of their election strategy, and I suspect it will, conceivably many normally apathetic voters may well just turn out in the urban/urban fringe to have it banned and fully implemented. Based on the pure numbers of these people, the CA/Conservative cannot win such an election.
Also by making it an election issue, and a win for the Labour party, the likelihood of a challenge through the EU courts is in my opinion, likely to fail, as they will claim a mandate through a general election as proof of its support.
The EU courts I suspect would be very, very reluctant to allow a case to go forward against such an argument and mandate.
It would in effect be challenging a sovereign states democracy and will of its people

M

MaNick

IF.... every HUNT is out one day in febuary, hunting foxes.....

I dont think the police will do anything (it wont be illegal?)...

And as Phil says, this may bring the labour voters out in force if it becomes as REAL election issue.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Phil,

Your comments are most interesting. Where I live, virtually to a man, they think that hunting should never have been tampered with as most say it will divide the people of Britain.

Perhaps this is due to the fact that the Rotherham MBC, which covers a hell of a lot of rural areas nearly as far out as Lincolnshire, has a number of hunts in the area.

I don't think there are many hunts in Greater Manchester, or are there?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Hey Monk, why did you put this thread in Carp Fishing?

Clikfire

Reaction score
Maybe the lack of diversity in opions from the people above are due to the selection of people each of you speaks with. I don't believe it is a city v country side thing.

I was born and brought up in an Oxforshire village, but I wellcome the ban on fox hunting with hounds. The people I speak with all agree, but then may be thats why we are friends. Similar likes and dislikes etc.

R

roto fryer 1

i live in the countyside and dont support hunting with dogs at all.
times move on and the attempted killing of animals with dogs is outdated and has rightly been banned.
all legal challenges will fail as the will of the elected house has to prevail.

Clikfire

Reaction score
What I couldn't get, is why the government seemed bothered by 100,000 hunt support demonstrators, but when over a million marched against going to war with Iraq they took no notice whats so ever?

R

roto fryer 1

as an afterthought i suspect sales of pepper will go through the roof in january/febuary.

Clikfire

Reaction score
Oh and I have just had an idea for what they could do with all the out of work hounds.
Put them into the lions pen in the cotswold wildlife / whipsnade / westmidlands safari park one at a time, let the foxes watch from the other side of the safety fencing.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

One thing that will come out of this ban is that in a short time there are going to be far fewer foxes around.

Land owners will get out there and either poison or shoot them.

Clikfire

Reaction score
There tons of them in the towns now they will be fine.
I feel I must add, don't have a problem with shooting them if they are a problem.