Line twist and backwinding

N

Neil Laing

Hello All,
I met an angler who said he always plays fish with the anti-revers off I.E playing using the reel handle and not the clutch. The reason being to avoid line twist. As an experiment I tied some twisted nylon garden line on the end of my main line and tried pulling off line with the bait runner free and winding back in. In a few minutes the line was incredibly twisted, easier to notice this with thick string. I noticed previously that my line had pig-tails and when surface fishing the carp could see the line easily.
Could do with some advice please on how to play fish not using the clutch, would a big first run from a carp smash me up.(Especially as I often only use 5-6lb line) Also the baitrunner helps prevent the rod being dragged in when ledgering. Am I more likely to lose my rod if I get a churner and don't get to the rod quickly?
Also I cant use my usual bobbin as the reel handle turn when I hang it on.
Neil.

B

Big Rik

Neil

it's better to de-twist the line perodically than to try and eliminate it totally, which is virtually impossible.

Reeling in will cause twist, as well as using the clutch and the baitrunner.

Gardner produce a lead called a Spin Doctor, which de-twists line.
Pulling 30 or 40 yds of line off, then cutting off the end tackle and then reeling back in again also helps.

N

Neil Laing

Hello Big Rik,
thanks for your help, I'll have a look at the Spin Doctor lead.
Neil.