How many different rigs do you use?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

Reading fishing magazines there enough different rigs and hook set ups to last you a years worth of angling if you tried a different one each week, but how many do you use?

For most of my feeder fishing I use a simple swivel bead and attached the feeder in on the main via the swivel than can be moved up or down the line and held in place by float stops.

When using a braided main line I use a short stiff boon (John Roberts make) to stop the hook link tangling on the braid.

For carp fishing I use the simple in lead on the main line approach with pva bags or stocking or go with the method feeder, though recently I have been using a small piece of shrink tubing on the hook to create a curve and the fish have been hooked in the bottom lip.

When float fishing it float on the main line, swivel to attach the hook link, or when I'm float fishing the margins for carp main line straight through to the hook.

The above method I'd say cover 90% of my fishing - may be that why I don't catch more fish but some of the rigs I see in the magazine seem to over complicate the matter.

What are other views on this?

Reaction score
Paul

Why do you use a swivel to attach your hook length when float fishing (rather than loop to loop or water knot)?

The swivel's position and weight are fixed and cannot be adjusted like shot.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Hi Matt

I started using the swivel when fishing 2 maggots on the hook - I'd read that it helped to counteract the bait spinning on the retrieve and therefore stopped line twist (I probably fell for some thing made up just to sell more swivels).

Then I found it a quick and easy way to attach the hook links - I made them up at home and tie on a swivel and store in a rig wallet with pins. If I need to bring the float further away from the swivel no problem, if I need to bring it nearer to the hook than the swivel will allow I just cut the hook link and cut it down to the size I want and retie it to the swivel.

I suppose it's part idleness on my part that it's easier and quicker than the loop or water knot - both of which I have used in the past but got out of the habit of using the last couple of years

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I use Micro Swivels to attach my Hook Length to when Float Fishing, it acts just like a Dropper Shot, if i want to alter the way it functions i can either shorten or lengthen my Hook Length or put some dust shot below it.
Bob Nudd uses swivels when he is Waggler Fishing, so can't be a bad thing :D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Why do you use a swivel to attach your hook length when float fishing (rather than loop to loop or water knot)?

Stevie Gardner showed me that set-up back in the mid 90's and I've used it ever since for most of my wag/mag fishing.
As Paul rightly says; it avoids those pig-tail-curly hooklengths when fishing double maggot.

Regarding the original question, I will set up whatever rig/method I think will be successful on the day, and change from time to time if bite-less. Personally I think if you get too set in your ways with one or another type of rig then you are missing out on dyas when a simple change would bring success.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Peter

I do adapt my approach the situation and try different things and I can see what you are saying about getting stuck doing the same thing but my point is how many variations on a rig do you need, I've seen a carp angler with about 3 ton of leads in a box of all different shapes, colours and sizes, I'm not convinced that such subtle changes as a type of lead make that much difference

But again I suppose that's why the blokes who do go to these lengths are in the magazines with big carp and I'm not, it can't just be to sell a few more weights can it?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that such subtle changes as a type of lead make that much difference

Paul,

To me it makes a big difference in my "approach" to a given venue inasmuch as whatever makes you think about your rigs and terminal tackle must surely give you the 'edge' over the chap who turns up and uses the same old rig over and over again, 'cos he once caught a decent Carp on that rig.

I keep a multitude of leads in different weights, shapes and colours and yes, even textures in my lead bags and I will match the lead to the known bottom of where I'm fishing. Then I will also try to match my leader as well as my hooklength material and colour.
Whether or not this puts more fish on the bank I don't know, but it does make me think about the 'business end' and the presentation.
After all, the Kurps don't care if your rods and reels cost 50 quid or a grand, do they, but they do get very 'interested' in the business end of things, I'll bet.

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Peter

I suppose that was a poor example of mine - changing the rig colour and lead colour and texture will aid you but do you think that all the different rigs are useful, a lot are very similar but just with a extra bead or knot added and bits of tubing on them

---------- Post added at 16:52 ---------- Previous post was at 16:48 ----------

Bob dips his flat cap in bleach to keep them white - that's why most of his hair has fallen out.

His dentist uses windolene when he goes for a scale and polish

cg74

Reaction score
I think "rig " is an overused term in modern angling, all I've got is the gear to float fish and a bag of feeders.

Very true, does a change of hook "rig" on a basic fixed lead bolt-rig become another "rig"?

Does the inclusion of a swivel between the hook link and mainline on fast flowing water, rather than me using loop to loop set-up on slower flows count as two "rigs", or just both adaptions of the same "rig".

Someone please define the term "rig" and its exact parameters.;):wh

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:48 ----------

An after thought came to me, Ron the hat Clay would sure be able to define what exactly constitutes the term of "a rig", or not??:D

Last edited:

Wag

Reaction score
Someone please define the term "rig" and its exact parameters

If you are carp fishing it's a "rig"
for everything else it's "terminal tackle"

Al git me coit!