Pygmy city

C

Chris Bishop

Saturday night I caught 11 fish in two hours' lure fishing, which is quite a result for me.

However apart from one around the six pound mark, the others were all seriously tiny, ie under 2lbs.

I tried upping the lure size (ie bigger spoon/shad...) and ended up with a fish so small I swung it in, much to the amusement of the bloke in the next swim who asked if he could have it for livebait.

I had a 23 and four or five doubles from the same area last season and only caught one fish under 10lbs on that part of the river.

The next night I went back and wobbled big deads about to see if the jack feeding frenzy had attracted any better fish but couldn't get a touch.

Put a spinner on and had three small fish almost one after the other again.

Do you reckon the better fish have moved off (I didn't really cane it last season but I knoew other people did...)or is there something obvious I'm missing here..?

R

Rob Brownfield

As you may know already, if you are finding large concentrations of small fish, you can bet your bottom dollar there are no large fish present in that swim. There are exceptions of course, but 9 times out of ten where there are small fish you may as well move. It could be the fish have moved along a wee bit...just keep on the move until u start to hit the bigger fish.

I have had this happen to me loads..its just a case of hunting out the big females.

C

Chris Bishop

You're probably right, I just thought all this feeding activity has got to attract something a bit bigger along but it didn't.

R

Rob Brownfield

Sometimes it will...but more often than not, if the wee fish are feeding in the open, then there are no big fish present....i think..hehe

G

Gary Knowles

Chris,

How about fishing one of the diminutive jacks as bait for your next couple of sessions and seeing if there are any big girls attracted by the obvious feeding activity ?