croston/bretherton clay pit

Stephen Hoyle

Reaction score
I have just moved back to a nearby village if there is anyone out there that can tell me if the venue is worth some time and effort i would appreciate it.Cheers Steve.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Near Preston i think Ed.

Your old car radio snatching grounds.

E

Eric Melling

hi stephen,

Don't know if this will help as I've not been near the place for for about 6 years.
I used to live in Tarleton up to '97 and fished the Croston / Bretherton Clay pit quite a lot.

It had the normal spread of species Roach, Bream, Perch, Carp, Tench etc. and I believe Pike but even though I tried for them never did catch one.

This may have had something to do with the clubs attitude to the pike at the time!!!!!

I fished it mainly for the Carp and was at the time, one of about three anglers doing so. There may have been others but I only came across two.

Usually fished over night sessions and regularly took 5-10 fish, mainly mirrors to 8-10lbs. Best one went 16lb 8oz and a few commons at 4-8lbs

Another thing was their were a few of the other members who did'nt particularly like the Carp in their water and blamed the lack of sport for other specis on this and the Carp Anglers??????

Anyway if its not changed i.e. there was talk of netting and removing the Carp before I stopped fishing there it should be even better as the carp sould be quite a bit bigger now.

Stephen Hoyle

Reaction score
Cheers Eric,i have been told carpers are not popular and there is now a boilie ban on the place.Just to be really cheeky could you tell me if you caught fish from what is known as carp corner or from all 3 bays?Steve.

E

Eric Melling

Hi again Steve,

I fished all of the three bays but the first one nearest the car park produced the most consistent sport for me. There Wasn't a "Carp Corner" then. Never got so much as a bleep in the top bay.

The other Carp Anglers caught quite well on the road side area.

I'll send you an e-mail when I get chance with some more info on productive spots etc. Although, after 6 + years it may be different now.

Eric

I

Ian Whittaker 1

Eric, hows it going. Where you living now? Fished the clayhole for 12 years but not the last 4/5 years.
A failure by the club to police/enforce rules led to too many bans. No floaters , no boilies ,no nights etc etc. Most of the carp have grown legs,largely due to the fact no one was on there at night and few remain. Water levels were lowered / weed/reed encroachment /lily beds sprouting up everywhere etc. Its in a pretty sorry state compared to when you fished it Eric.
Stephen, email if you want any more exact particulars .

E

Eric Melling

Hi Ian,

Long time since I was at The Clay Pit, not fished it since around '96. Shame its all changed now, it was a vey pleasant water to fish, especially in May and early June when all the Hawthorn bushes were in flower. Started going downhill not long after after Keith, the Club Secretary when I joined, passed away.

I moved back to Preston in '97 and have gone back to my roots so to speak, mainly fishing the Ribble for Chub & Barbel

Sorry Steve it looks like the info I sent you isn't relevant any more.

Eric

I

Ian Whittaker 1

Eric,
I'll keep my eyes peeled for you when I'm on the river. Usually fish the lower river late on for salmon and "stray" barbel.
Tight lines ,Ian