'The Method'

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
As you know the laughing lads are off to Valdore in December and apparently will be faced with quite a dramatic cold front coming in. I think its fair to say I for one will be scaling right down to size 8 and 10 hooks with 10mil baits mainly, but I also believe that The method would be a method hardly seen at Valdore. The method in the summer is an awesome approach and not just for small carp, however search as I may, I haven't seen may articles utilising its effectiveness throughout winter. Now I know many can demonstrate why this approach may be deemed risky in winter based on lack of competing carp etc and the ball needing to break up quicker, but I would love to hear from anyone who feels this could be worth a go in winter?

Any thoughts and theories would be greatly appreciated and do you favour a particular way of fishing the method in the cold?

Thanks in advance.

M

Malcolm Bason

Stu, if you are thinking of using the 'method' in France, and if you going to use the cat, then why not consider using method balls, but not the method as such?

It is a tactic I have been utilising recently with a little bit of success!

That way you would'nt have to rely on the method 'ball' being broken up to expose the hookbait.

Also the mix can be made dryer as its not being cast into the swim, and so will break up on its own to a degree with the right ingredients!

B

Big Rik

as we've discussed recently, any mix would need to be light.
just before moulding around the feeer, I would add some dry crushed hemp to make the mix active.
Anything even resembling a proper method mix would lay on the bottom as stodge and one mouthful of that would fill the carp up.

B

Bully

When fishing cold(er) sessions I use mini method feeders with Riks ball of "stodge" and a very short hook link with, say a pellet or small boilie.

As such it is the "one mouthful" that Rik refers to, only that the hook and bait are very close.

I should say that my winter water is a summer "runs" lake. Also, I have never tried the big method in winter so I cannot actually say whether it makes a difference, but I was happy with my logic. Equally, I am more than open to being argued against!

By the way, I also fish a mates club quite regularly in winter. Not quite such a runs water, but similar. Last year we regularly caught when others didn't. Again used mini methods, as did others. And the key difference ?

Cockles.

One bloke blanked all day. Gave him a few cockles and he was in within 10 minutes !!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I've got a 25k tub of mainline birdseed base mix (never used sat there for 3 years) that I might just add a tad of water too and dump the lot over an area in a few trips with the baitboat which will scatter a great smell of food content without there being food. I might do this for two reasons:

1 - just to try something completely different without placing loads of food on the bottom, and giving a sever food message

and

2 - It'll really piss roto off!

B

Big Rik

'as we've discussed recently' (laughing my tits off)

what's that mean chubbo?

did you not ask my opinion on this very subject a few days ago?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
If I asked your opinion and you gave it, then what you doing replying on here?

Your opinion counts for a lot mate, but not everything love!

B

Big Rik

"Your opinion counts for a lot mate, but not everything love!"

I appreciate that you'd like to foster opinions from the mases as well.

G

Gary Knowles 2

"one mouthful of that would fill the carp up"

Yeah, right. In a water full of overgrown pasties ?

Stodge 'em up and they'll keep coming. Double 25mm on a size 2 and get the Brandy out...

B

Bully

Well - I was looking forward to reading some useful responses and tips, given that I have taken the (mad) decision to do some short winter sessions on some different waters........

Perhaps you should post under a pseudonym Stu !!

C

Cakey

Bully ....only you and Gary answered.......the rest are going and need help !

Ian Michaelwaite

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like I actually know what I'm doing. I've been using a small spring method feeder using ground up trout and csl pellets soaked in a mix of activ8 and strawberry squid with a vit C soluble (fizzy thing) ground up as well. then short hook length with a 10mm (chopped up 16mm strawberry boilie).

It is getting loads of activity around it, plenty of knocks compared to 'naked' baits; but it hasn't been proven by a biggun yet.

Of course needs to be refreshed regularly as the fizz dies, but the mush isn't a feed by then, more a cloud.

I'm going to give a soluble vit B a go this weekend with Guarana, to follow on from the stimulant thread I started.

Steve Cartwright

Reaction score
An excellent winter "Method Mix" is Sensas Black,its basically a groundbait,but if mixed to a rather dry consistancy,reacts well in winter and the fish seem to love it!
Sorry if this was a sensible post around the Method in winter,but i'm high on Crack Cocain at the moment!!