advice on pole

Keith Williams 2

Reaction score
i want to use a 6m margin pole on a commercial carp water,it is rated 20 elastic,what i would like to know is 1 -what size float 2-what size hook 3 what strength main line and how long 4 what strength hook length and how long,also is the float rig attached to the end of the pole with a swivel or is the mainline just hooked over the end of the pole elastic,never used one before so any help would be appreciated

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
when pole fishing for carp,i always have my elastic and line attatched to a suitable sized connector....size and type of float--well i suppose it all depends on water depth and size of bait and are you fishing on the bottom or shallow???some folk prefer a dibber type float while others will opt for a small stemmed float with a tip....line---i always fish "straight throuh" using carptek line in 5lb and 8lb sizes,depending on the venue and size of the brutes i am targeting.i use a tensioner type bung which i can adjust to compensate the lack of give i suppose in the strength of line i use.i believe that presentation has never bee compromised in my carp/pole fishing.i`ve always had good confident bites and very few "pull outs".i take a steady/firm approach when playing carp and not a yank and bank approach.
i suppose there are no real hard and fast rules,everyone has a different approach .you might find it best to go to a local fishery and ask any pole fishermen about the methods they use--remebering to be polite and friendly then have a bash your self and decide what method suits you....
hope this is of some help???

T

Twainy

Keith,
I know very little about pole fishing. My advice would be to go to a few tackle shops.
If you find a place where someone takes the time to explain things to you,give them your business and they will always give you good advice.

T

Twainy

What I said is more eloquently put in the
Absolute beginners thread below, post number 3.

L

liamangler

have a look in 'Angling Times Advanced' this months one has advise on buting poles might suit you.

N

NottmDon

Keith I would advise talking to someone who is actually pole fishing at the lake in question. Your elastic would need to be connected to a "stonfo" connector and to be honest If you're new to this you should be a little more proficent on the use of a pole before you tackle any commercial carp waters, I am mainly thinking of the carps welfare here, hate to think of a fish swimming around with your margin pole attached to it lol. Have fun.