Good Old Stoney

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

I was a personal friend of Peter Stone since 1965. He was simply a marvellous person.

My endering memories of Peter are intertwined with his rolling Oxfordshire accent.

"Oi reckon Ran you mioght jus geh a noice tench fram tha there pit. Not a maanster moinde, but maybe a 7 pounder."

When I phoned him and told him I had had 3 roach all over 2 pound he said:

"Well bless me, you didn' aahlf do well - bless me"

W

Wolfman Woody

I thought I was going mad at first. Read the article "Peter Stone died last year.. " I thought no, that was 2000. I'd seen him just a few months before. then I noticed the date it was published.

Took long enough to get this thread going then.

F

Fred Bonney

I picked a copy of this book up earlier this season at Barbel Society fishin'.
It's a very good read,but,what comes over most of all, is the great affection felt from all of those who met Peter Stone.
Sorry I missed meeting him.

L

Laurie Harper

Couldn't agree more. Only met him briefly at a Barbel Soc. conference. A true gentleman (in all senses of the word) and one of those rare people who everyone loved and nobody had a bad word for. If you haven't read it, get hold of the Barbel Soc. tribute to him (Peter Stone - the Gentleman of Angling). A series of articles, written by his friends and angling companions, some of which will literally bring a tear to the eye. Delightful.

S

Steve King

I had the pleasure of meeting Peter Stone at TC Pit back in the late 80s. A lovely charming guy with an infectious smile.

T

The Monk

I was originally introduced to Peter by Eric Hodson. Peter was a lovely chap with a really nice and warm personality, one of the great anglers of our time, sadly missed!

Steve Pope 2

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have to agree, Peter was just about the nicest guy you could ever hope to meet.

Putting together the tribute was an honour and was the very least we could do.

Peter's name will always live on.

If anyone wishes to acquire a copy, we still have a few left, contact info@barbelsociety.co.uk for details.

All the best.

R

Robin Higgins

One of my top two favourite angling authors of all time. I borrowed "Fishing for Big Chub" from the library a million times when I was younger and have just got hold of "Old Father Thames" which is equally brilliant. I also loved his series in the old "David Hall's Coarse Fishing" mag.

He achieved so much and was admired by so many - what a true angling hero.

Robin
ECHO