Canadian Bass

Blaine Ferguson

Reaction score
I was just wondering did anyone else see that article about Canadian Bass (and other rare fish) in Angling Times being in England! Does anyone here know where to find these or any information at all! Could make for some good fishing for all of us!

Nick Haynes

Reaction score
yeah i did and they are easy to catch on all lures
ive had some before in the us

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Canadian Bass could well be Smallmouth Black Bass - Micropterus dolomeu.

There are some of these in a lake near Mildenall in the fens. Put there by Americans for their own enjoyment.

I don't like the idea of stocking these fish. The are an extremely aggressive predator and can decimate vast numbres of small fish. I've caught many in my life and are avod takers of flies, lures and plasic worms.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
There were large mouth bass in a Dorset lake from 1935 to 1980, since then they've died out though they bred successfully for many years. I caught 7 little ones in the seventies. They didn't especially well as our summers weren't hot enough. They were brought over from France by Leney in the 30s.

J

jason fisher

woo hoooo they died out and nothnig better could happen to em, we don't want them or any other american invaders in our waters.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

That's right Jason, we have enough with carp and zander.

The American Walleye is hardly distinguishable from the zander and the habits are similar.

Smallmouth Bass do thrive in cold water. They are found in a number of Swedish lakes.

As a sporting fish they are truly wonderful, they fight very well and also eat very well. But let them stay where they belong.

J

jason fisher

carp and zander are at least indigenous to europe so being in british waters are at least on the correct continent, where as american bass and the dreaded rainbow trout are completely in the wrong place outside of america the rainbow should be exterminated from all waters outside america they cause nothing but devestation where ever they end up.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Try telling that to the average British fly fisher Jason.

Let's here your case.

And carp were never native to Europe. Asia yes.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

One thing that is for definite. Rainbow trout have caused much less devastation than carp.

I have a great many facts about both species, but to be fair I would like to hear from Jason as to why rainbow trout are so terrible?