Silly question

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I had an email off Anglers say today asking me to respond to the question "Is consistent success in Stillwater angling the true test of ability in today's fishing scene. River angling is at best quaint and at worst irrelevant?".

Have you ever heard such a ridiculous question in your life? If anybody is quaint and irrelevant it must be them I think.

What do you think

J

jason fisher

proves it's written by a bunch of ignorant numpties really.

the ability to catch a pastie carp from a water which is so stuffed full of them that they grab any morsel of food presented to them has very little to do with angling skill.

i do agree that river angling is irrelivant to the people who practice this form of fishing, because it requires an ability that these people simply do not have, that ability being watercraft.

Darkstar

Reaction score
Jason, sorry mate but i have to disagree with you on this, carp angling is as much reliant on watercraft as any other form of fishing. Right location, right bait and right techniques, one of the reasons i am drifting away from carping is the amount of elitism that exists in that particular fraternity. Is it just as bad amongst river anglers?, it would seem so judging by Chris's reply also.

Darkstar

Reaction score
What no comebacks?, i thought somebody might have an opinion.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Graham,

I agree with you, it is a rather ridiculous question (multi part) to which there is no one appropriate answer.
I find this quite typical of Anglers Say inasmuch as they do seem to pose ambiguous questions, but then as I said on a previous thread this is sometimes a deliberate ploy in order to "inturpret" responses in a pre-determined manner.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Have you voted on the Anglers Say site before Graham? If not, then I'd ask them where they got it from. Certainly not from us. FM doesn't give email addresses to anyone without first asking permission.

J

John Hepworth

"irrelevant?" I would say that applies to Anglers Say. NFA rejects.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
No Graham not you, I hope you didn't think I implied that, anyway its not shown on this site is it?

I have a sneaky feeling that we were asked to vote on something on Anglers Say a while ago and when I tried it wouldn't let me register so I left it. Maybe some bit of info like my email address registered and they kept it, perhaps I should have challenged them about it before I deleted it eh!

How come no one else had that email though, very strange.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Elitism in angling is the one thing that will destroy us.

Anyone who says that competancy on a river is "quaint" is not a real angler. This poses the question: What is a real angler?

The subject of my next article.