Phytoplankton in serious decline?

Bluenose

Reaction score
Has anyone read the various news articles about this subject these last few days?

I picked up a supplement in a hotel yesterday. It may have been the Independent, there was a front page lead with a large section inside.

In a nutshell the research suggests a 1% reduction each year and that we are looking at an approximate 40% reduction since the 1950's.

The data used goes back many decades including to the 18th Century, where I believe it is a little patchy, but I understood from the article that the data is very accurate for the last 50 years or so.

Phytoplankton are the very base of the marine food chain and also contribute to something like 50% of The Earth's oxygen whilst also using large amounts of CO2 in the meantime.

Massive implications for the food chain if this trend continues!

Last edited:

Bluenose

Reaction score
Paul the decrease (apparently) also corresponds with a rise in sea temperature.

However I think the article said that although there is no definitive proof that this warmer water is the actual reason for the decrease in phytoplankton.

preston96

Reaction score
i was wondering if human medical residue was to blame.....you know birth control and all the others........they have been blamed for sterile fish, why not sterile plankton?

dezza

Reaction score
Might I suggest that 99% of all male humans are emasculated at the age of 16 by the "bricking" technique.

Seriously, it's likely that the chlorine based chemicals used in water treatment might have something to do with it.

Bluenose

Reaction score
I may be wrong mate but I think as of this time the reasons are open to debate, obviously with the current 'climate' (no pun intended) the article was probably a bit skewed towards global warming being the cause however it did state that this wasn't proven as of this time.

preston96

Reaction score
Thought provoking though..........micro bacteria takes the oxygen out of our rivers in floods, or so i have read yet the loss of micro life forms can see a downward trend in life in general.

We are all doomed! but very slowly! :eek:

Ron...Ed told me your old man "bricked" himself when you were born?:wh:D

And yes, i'm pullin ya leg :p

Last edited: