short float rod

Steve E

Reaction score
Hi,
I`m looking for a short waggler/stick float rod.Its for river fishing in tight swims,over hanging tree`s etc.mainly for Dace/small Chub.If anyone has any recommendations I`d appreciate it.I`m a firm believer in you get what you pay for so cheapness isn`t a concern over quality.
Regards Steve.

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Is 11 ft short enough? Preston's 11fter reviewed on FM is ace, I have one, tho it's not cheap, it feels great in the hand. I use it with a 1000 size fixed spool for balance; it is of obvious quality and has a splendid rod bag to protect it.

Steve E

Reaction score
Cheers Smufter,I`m not aware of any telescopic rods suitable for this kind of work ?Just had a look at the preston rods Paul but there listed as commercial carp/match rods rated 3-6lb,way too beefy for 6oz dace.Cheers though.
Still looking :)

smufter

Reaction score
Cheers Smufter,I`m not aware of any telescopic rods suitable for this kind of work ?QUOTE]

Shimano do some nice telescopic rods that would suit the job. If I were looking for a small rod for fishing some of the small streams around here, they would be first on my list.
Loads of telescopics on ebay. Just type "telescopic fishing rod" into the search bar and you'll find hundreds. You get what you pay for so steer clear of the £6.95 ones!!
:D

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I have a Shimano Beastmaster 9-11 float/waggler rod. Good bit of kit, this is NOT the COMMERCIAL Beastmaster 9-11 rod. I also have the feeder rod. These are lighter than the commercial range. you have the choice, 9ft or 11 ft.

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Steve, I'm sure they all say that now to make some punters buy them. It's a light rod in the standard 'match' class, that's what I wanted! I'm about as likely to go near a 'commercial' as eat McDonalds....I got it specifically for canal perch, small river perch and similar applications. I think it's Jeff Woodhouse's review which is thorough and may explain it better.

Rickrod

Reaction score
tfg compact 10ft float rod i think its £59.99

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Korum do a precision 11ft float rod which is rated from 3-6lb but I think is quite soft and, indeed, they reccomend it for dace as well as roach and small carp. But they all say that dont they.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Just had a look at the preston rods Paul but there listed as commercial carp/match rods rated 3-6lb,way too beefy for 6oz dace.
Wrong! As far as I'm aware it's still the same rod thatw as sold as a Mini Float. Used it last week on the Thames and catching some tiny 1-2ozs dace and felt every one. Eventually started catching perch to 1½lbs and it was brilliant.

Old saying - never judge a book by it's cover! Go feel one of these rods, but it will still lift 1kg dead weight - take my word for it.

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Ta for picking that up Jeff; without going overboard on the rod, I picked it out and it's not cheap(!) but is really splendid. I'll be on the River Bain (see Ron's recent trotting threads) in a few weeks, it's just right for small rivers of that ilk.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I would think the cheapest way would be to buy a Garbolino Knock-Out Pellet Waggler II. The quality is superb for under £30, a tip actioned and progressive rod it will play very light hooklengths safely but still pull in a 3lb. tench without complaint. It's the rod I always lend to newcomers who don't need to cast any great distance.

Lovely bit of kit .... I can see why they were so hard to get hold of last year ...demand far out-stripped supply.

A good roach rod for close-in stuff and a nice all-round rod for youngsters to use too. Everyone should have one 'just in case', particularly at that price. before inflation got a grip they were even better at around £22...ah well, still great value.

New Garbolino Knockout 10ft 2 Piece Pellet Waggler Rod on eBay (end time 12-Aug-10 14:15:15 BST)

Or...

Garbolino knockout Carp Waggler Rod 10ft on eBay (end time 05-Aug-10 20:25:06 BST)

Paul Morley

Reaction score
After bigging up the Preston, I broke the top 6" off on Sunday..... so now it's an even shorter float rod.... BAH!!

Steve E

Reaction score
luckily Stuarts there to sort you out!! .. Anyway all this talk of commercial rods has at least given a few ideas(in places i`d never of looked),i`m going to take a look at a few when i`m travelling south in a few weeks,hopefully the ones mentioned and also a shimano forcemaster 10` float (a bargain at £29.99,although i`ll be scrubbing the name off before it see`s light of day!!))