Winter River Carp

M

MaNick

RUMOUR has it that carp slow down a bit over the winter.... although lots of "experts" are now saying that the complete "switch off" is a bit of a farce.

Weve seen pics on here of Winter carp...

My question is.... do RIVER carp slow down in the same way... i mean... presumably they still have to remain active in the flow.... (Thames)

I'm considering tackling a swim on the Thames, i know there are carp there, but i want to formalise a baiting plan.

Is baiting up a winter river swim a bad idea?...Should i bait up less than i normally would (in a winter stillwater)

Opinions welcomed!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
This is an interesting one as I plan myself to target the river carp on the lower Ribble next year.
I would assume that if the temperature is right they will feed as with the Barbel the difference between the stillwater and river will be that the river will have a more varied temperature change than a stillwater. As you say with the fish having to swim to hold station they have to feed more regular to replenish their reserves.

If pre baiting I would only offer a few baits on a daily basis. Preferably were you can see if they are being taken.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And be ready for those single beeps Nick, most of my winter carp have come off them. With very little free offerings going in. (stillwater)