KEEPING FAITH...

Jeff

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been fishing for many years but for the last year concentrated only on Carp...

I admit that I very much enjoyed my fishing taking 3 personal bests in a row up to my best of 16lb...

Coming to the end of the year I find it hard to find the same enthusiasm to get out next year as I had back in March... The thing is that Carp fishing is just fishing for Carp (I know, spare me the funnies!) and I admit that after my first season I find myself thinking of other species once again. I wonder how you seasoned Carp boys keep going after just the one species as you do?

I would like to obviously catch bigger Carp but find myself needing a refreshing change and really am not that inspired to go after Carp again for quite some time...

What's your thought?

Jeff

S

sash

Exactly the same as you Jeff. I find it difficult to maintain an interest in one species for a whole season, once a target has been achieved or interest begins to lessen I switch species. Hence having fished for specimen carp, bream, tench, eels, rudd, perch, barbel, zander, catfish and pike already this season. No doubt, chub will get a look in over the winter too!

I find targetting a new venue can be just as important as changing species with regard maintaining an interest e.g. river carp instead of gravel pit

M

MaNick

I would say.....

Why stick to one species?...

I fish for carp more than anything else, but often i will think... " ok, i'll go for tench on the float today..."... and thats what i do!...

Variety is the spice of life after all!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No matter what species you may want to target, try and have three different venue's to go to.
when I was roach fishing some years back, I would try new places, or places where, I thought the bigger fish would be.
But I allways had a water I could drop back on to give myself a confidence boost if I had been struggling. After a session or two on an easy water, I would then try other places.

M

Malcolm Bason

First off, I don't really set myself targets - a carp is a carp to me, big or small!

Agree with sash, the venue itself should be looked upon as a challenge, and I don't really fish easy waters, therefore don't catch as often as some others!

I think its because of this, the challenge always remains!

Jeff, the waters at which you have done your carp fishing - how big do they go?

For me, there is always a kind of mystique about a water that holds carp to 40lb+ - not setting targets, but just wondering if that next few beeps could mean a biggie! That in itself keeps me going back for more!

B

Bill Cox

I agree with maNick , don't tie yourself down. Target one fish more then most if you like but a change now and again helps to spice up interest levels. I fish predominantly for carp but that won't stop me putting out carp rods and then float fishing maggots while waiting on my buzzers going off.

B

Bully

As per maNick et al.

Also, look at some pici's of a 20lb + then imagine catching that !

I have packed all my carp gear away now and will be attacking the rivers for 4 moths. In 4 months I'll be thinking I have had enough of rivers and looking forward to the spring tench and carp !

But more importantly, if I get to the stage when I only enjoy it if I catch, or catch big, then its time to hang up the rods.

S

sash

Malcolm,
Didn't really mean target as in a set weight all the time either (even though I do set myself weight targets for venues each season). Sometimes it's been daft things such as stalking a tench in the margins (instead of sitting behind buzers and bolt rigs) or catching a zander on fly (instead of lures) or catching Trent barbel on the float (instead of hauling on lead). Just a whole load of ways to bring a different thrill into catching.

Above it all, I just love to be out, whatever the weather and it sure does beat work!

M

Malcolm Bason

"Above it all, I just love to be out, whatever the weather and it sure does beat work!"

Bloomin right there mate. ;O)

Jeff

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies chaps,

I know that my next target is a 20lb-er and would love to hit that target! But, as some of you have said, I will be getting after other species as well to keep my options open...

Cheers and good fishing!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I spent many years match fishing, then realised the competition elements was just an extension of my job when I started work, so changed the whole thing about and slowly moved into more focussed fishing targeting big tench and bream.

I then moved from there to carp about 5 years ago and haven?t looked back. For me arp fishing isn?t all about being on the bank, for me its also about playing with rigs and experimenting with all sorts of tactics and in a weird way I can do most of this whilst at home. I am 100% dedicated to carp fishing with the limited time I have, but if time was unlimited, I would spend more time fishing for species such as chub and tench.

But hey, there you go!

B

Barry Edney

It seems to me Jeff that a change is just about due. You could set your sights on different species, or you could change the way you fish for carp. I don't know how you go about your carp fishing, but if you use boilies and buzzers try using more 'traditional' baits. Perhaps freelining a lobworm in the margins, or floatfished flake over the dying lillies.

Or.......... you could go down the different species line........ Maybe a winter campaign after pike or chub. If you do choose a different species, stay away from lakes for a while, and then come march you will be itching to have a crack at the carps again.

Jeff

Reaction score
Cheers Barry,

Yes I did vary my tactics considerably. I'm not the biggest fan of sitting behind static rods for hours on end if there are fish up in the water or moving around over feed from anglers the day before then I will try different things... I had success with free-lined luncheon meat, float fished corn at just a foots depth while steadily feeding some (the ghosties like that one) and even fished float fished bunches of maggots just laying on the bottom...

Don't get me wrong, my Carp fishing is by no means over, I have not cracked my set target of a 20lb fish yet!

It's just that I have found myself wanting to bank a few other species now as I've almost forgotten what the other fish look like ;0)

For the first time I'm going to have a crack at fly fishing of all things!

Jeff

L

Les Clark

For me, Malcolm as said it spot on,don`t care what size the carp is but the next one may be the biggie,plus knowing when you do catch you have got it right and when you don`t catch trying to work out what you could have done better.
I draw the line at fishing for carp in the winter: 1.the night`s are to long for me to be bivvied up.
2.I love fishing for pike.

Jeff

Reaction score
I have always loved the Pike Also! Them and the Perch are the most beautiful of Course fish to me...