Paste

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

Does anyone else think the price of ready made paste is a rip off?

I recently picked a tub of marine halibut paste in the tackle shop and it was priced at £3.50, I bought a bag of marine halibut ground bait for £3 and mixing it with water have made up just as good a paste for a fraction of the cost as I still have most of the ground bait left.

I have also mixed the ground bait with a beaten egg and found that the paste from this takes longer to break down in the water than the water and ground bait mix. I found this after making some boiles with the mix and then deciding to take some I had left for fishing.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
It might well be Jeff - I'll look it up in my JW tip book:wh

I've been doing a bit of paste fishing recently - but perversely on a rod and reel - I know it's a tactic mostly used on the pole but I like to fish the margins for carp in the evenings and a rod does the job just fine.

sagalout

Reaction score
I have found that I am getting fish on paste when I can't get a bite on pellet, even though the rascals are eating all the pellets that don't have my hook in them.

I make my paste by grinding me pellets (£32 per 25kg delivered from Sakup Baits) and then wetting them on the bank. I know you can do it without grinding but I find the ground up pellet paste makes up almost instantly, and holds together better than using whole pellets to make the paste.

I am actually wrapping my paste round me hook and a banded pellet, when fishing the paste up in the water it lasts up to four minutes depending on how hard the little silvers are hitting it.

I also wrap the paste round me pellet when ledgering, bit like a mini method or the pellet cone without the hassle of threading the hooklink through the pellets.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've been using paste wrapped around boiles and pellets for a while and did try paste on the hook a few years ago but had problems with it coming off on the cast.

I use it in the margin on the hook, I use a small pole float with a longish top with just the weight of he paste to sunk the float so that just the tip is above water, then as move tip shows you know it's time to rebait he hook

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I have made my own paste using ground trout pellets and egg. Also used ground bait and water method using swimstim. Have also used the commercial ready made, never caught on the stuff but it does last almost forever, which is just as well.

r1paul

Reaction score
I have been using paste for tench and carp , I went to my local boilie firm :Premier Baits and bought 4 kilo of bait mix , 4x1 kilo of blends , £5 a kilo ,seem to work for the tench but not the carp at the moment .:( :D

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Does anyone else think the price of ready made paste is a rip off?

I recently picked a tub of marine halibut paste in the tackle shop and it was priced at £3.50, I bought a bag of marine halibut ground bait for £3 and mixing it with water have made up just as good a paste for a fraction of the cost as I still have most of the ground bait left.

I have also mixed the ground bait with a beaten egg and found that the paste from this takes longer to break down in the water than the water and ground bait mix. I found this after making some boiles with the mix and then deciding to take some I had left for fishing.
Yes, I think they're a rip off too, I know some people will say it's the convenience factor but it's the same as expanders and softhookers, they cost a fraction to buy and prepare yourself, I use a 50 - 50 mix of ground expanders and ground halibut or course pellets to make up mine.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've tried about 4 tubs of shop bought paste and found I've had better results using my own made up paste.

Plus you can try out different mixes of ground baits or crushed pellets to create your own unique paste the same as you can with boilies.

In the past I had some good results on green swimstem pellets ground up and then adding a bit of sweetcorn that I had put through a blender -carp seemed to like that - I must make some more

slime monster

Reaction score
Out of curiosity when having a drunken midnight snack on fri night I made a paste out of mexicana cheese slices ,,containg chillies, peppers and god knows what else as it stunk to high heaven I caught Carp on it but then again it could have been anything on the hook in fairness.