Favourite books

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
I'm neither a collector nor a keeper of books - I read them, then either pass them on to my son, Peter, or give them away (if Peter already has it/them in his collection).

Regarding carp books, my favourite is Tim Paisley's "Carp Amid the Storm" (I think that's its title - I've given it away so can't check), an anecdotal book in the style of Tim's erstwhile alter-ego, Matthew Black. Chris Yates's "Casting at the Sun" is excellent, too - the best of Chris's books by far, in my opinion.

Terry Hearn and Dave Lane's books are impressive in a jaw-dropping "my God, what effort these guys put in" sort of way - not really to my taste, though. Rod Hutchinson's "The Carp Strikes Back" is inspirational, amusing and instructive. A good read.

Regarding non-carp titles; I agree with Mark regarding Geoffrey Bucknall's "Fishing Days". A lovely read, made all the more interesting because he writes about waters with which I am familiar (much of G.B.'s fishing was based in Kent and Sussex).

E. Marshall-Hardy's "Angling Ways is excellent - not particularly instructive (other than the section on pike) but beautifully written.

When I've come across them in various anthologies, I love reading stuff my John Bickerdyke, J.W. Martin and Hugh Sheringham.

Fred J. Taylor's "Favourite Swims" is a lovely read, as is "Drop me a Line" (**** Walker and Maurice Ingham).

The best of the best? For my taste, probably John Gierach, an American writer. He writes mainly about fly fishing, but you don't have to be a fly fisherman to enjoy his books. If you've not read him, try to get hold of "Another Lousy Day in Paradise"; only a philistine would fail to enjoy it! Lovely stuff, full of humour, philosophy and wonderful "being there" accounts.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Drop Me A Line" is probably one of those books that I have read many times over and every time I read it I seem to come across new understandings between these two anglers.

It is impossible to pick a single "favourite" book but one that is very high on my list is Tom williams' A River for All Seasons.

There is, however, a certain tome on Roach Fishing that I eagerly await seeing on the bookshelves.

Any time soon?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Jim,

I'm a great fan of Gierach's books, 8 at the last count. I'm no fly fisherman but his books are excellent.

I heard today that Chris Yates is starting to write "A Philosophy of Angling", one to look out for in a couple of years!

The only roach book coming out next year is Mark Everards The Complete Book of the Roach from Medlar.

Allegedly, Tom Wiiliams articles were all written by his wife?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I must admit that I am a collector of books. However over they years I have either lost a few, had a few stolen or given a few away.

My most valuable book is a first day signed "Where the Bright Water's Meet" by Harry Plunket-Greene.

This book contains some of the finest English ever written. I picked it up for R5.00 in a booksale in Joburg ca 1969. It has been valued at ?5,000!!! I have it insured for ?8,000.

The book I feel most sick about losing is a signed first edition of "Still Water Angling" Again such a book is worth a fortune today.

Our sport has inspired many writers over the years. No doubt some of the finest English ever written has been about angling.

And here I will highlight Hugh Tempest Sheringham as one of the greatest.

Who will ever forget his superb description of a float:

"So pleasing in appearance, yet even more pleasing in dissappearance."

Or **** Walker's:

"We sat side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, but suddenly it dawned on us it was more than that.

It was tremendous."

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I am looking forward to the roach book by John Everard. I have met and chatted with John on a few occasions, in the company of Peter Stone.

John is indeed a very talented all round angler.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Sorry Mark.

Even so I'll buy it when it becomes available.

That book by myself was only a limited edition at 2 hundred copies. If any of you can buy the book I will personally sign your copy for a nominal fee of ?300.

You can't get a better bargain than that.

The other book I have a chapter in is:

"Fresh and Salt Water Fly Fishiing in Southern Africa" edited by Charles Norman.

I have a first day signed cover going for ?850.00 Any Offers?

Andy Stafford

Reaction score
I have no argument with any of the above. However, I'd like to put in a word for Zane Grey who in my opinion is one of the greatest ever. Why? Well he was fishing at a good time, early 20th century before many places were either fished-out or fully explored. Consequently his writing has a lovely sense of the unknown and undiscovered about it. He held 14 world records simultaneously, so he wasn't a bad angler either! Finally he was the world's best selling author for many years (of American westerns, 110 films made of his books too) so he knew how to spin a good yarn.
His fishing books can be picked up from a few pounds for modern reprints to thousands for good collectable first editions. For anyone new to his work, take a look at Angler's Eldorado, it's a classic.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mark said:

"The only roach book coming out next year is Mark Everards The Complete Book of the Roach from Medlar"

No, Mark that is not the one that I wass thinking about :)

I had heard before that Tom's ghost writer was in fact his wife.

Would the "rare" book have anything to do with a certain Mr. Clay?

jp

Reaction score
Fishing books for me come in two categories the instructional and the inspirational, readable instructional books are probably the hardest to write but George Sharman's Carp and the Carp Angler is a good one, as is Miles and Wests Quest for Barbel and Carp Fever by Kevin Maddocks.

The books that see me coming back to reread them regularly are Casting at the Sun and The Deepening Pool by Chris Yates. The Fisherman's Bedside Book edited by "BB", and a couple of authors that I've not seen mentioned here yet, Invisible Waters by John Bailey, (his first, I think) and the other book that I always find worth a revisit is Arthur Ransomes Rod and Line.

I agree about John Gierachs and **** Walkers books, and The Carp Strikes Back, all excellent reads.

D

Deecy

Hook Line and Stinker Cliff Parker (funny)
I Know a Place Clive Gammon (inspirational)
Carp Amid the Storm Tim Paisley (reality check)
Mega Pike Eddie Turner (inspirational funny)
Trawler by Redmond O'Hanlon not an angling book but a travel book where the author spends time on a North Sea Trawler.Tough men in a tough environment.Absolutley absorbing.
Tiger Bay Rob Maylin.
A Specimen Anglers Year John Wilson.

W

Wolfman Woody

Frank Guttfield rang me tonight and I told him one of his books, "In Search Of Big Fish" had reached ?41.01 on eBay. He's now asked my if I'll list some of his copies personally signed to the buyer. I think he sees another business starting up here.

Never been much of an angling book reader. It may have something to do with those I have read are more about the author than of angling and nature, and the subject matter in many cases is poor. I do like a good auto/biography, but based on a real hero or someone with ainteresting point of view. Sorry, but that's the way I read it.

I am intrigued by one book "The Net On The Garage Wall". Sounds facinating, but I guess the net would be illegal now anyway.

T

The Monk

one of the first carp books I aquired, was simply called The Carp, by a bloke called Jim Gibbinson (never heard of him), a real classic and milestone in carp angling!

My next was by Jack Hilton, "Quest for Carp"
sadly no longer with us.

these people certainly have a lot to answer for!

T

The Monk

In fact at one point my last two wives were seriously considering sighting these guys in the divorce proceedings!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

**** Walker has a lot to answer for.

He made me poor.

Yet Happy.

jp

Reaction score
"one of the first carp books I aquired, was simply called The Carp, by a bloke called Jim Gibbinson "

30 years old now Monk,(the book)one of the Osprey series, I've got one in hardback,and at ?1,75 it was 50p more than the paperback when published.

He also wrote the Chub and Pike editions; got the Chub one in paperback.

T

The Monk

No John, I have the Osprey one in hard back, the one I am refering to is older and more intense, It was part of the Richard Walker Library , I also have the one on Grayling in the same series

T

The Monk

From memory, I think the Osprey book was Jims second carp book, (come of Jim help me out here)

jp

Reaction score
Ok Monk, sorry, don't know that one, it's only a carp book after all, it's not as if it's a proper fish. :)