Closed until further notice .....

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
60 miles of the 128 miles Leeds / Liverpool canal have been closed to boaters because the 7 reservoirs which feed the canal are down to 10% of their capacity...

Inconsiderate boaters have,even after being warned, failed to close the lock gates, after passing through.

The canal will remain closed until we have a prolonged wet spell and the reservoirs are back up to level ...

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
We have had a prolonged wet spell. Still no water in the resis, why?
As far as I konw (which is nowt), the top up resis for canals is just that, to top up the canal system, not for drinking purposes. I still reckon there are too many leaks and the supply ditches/streams etc are blocked and not cleared as they used to be.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Are they sure it's boaters leaving the lock gates open - some locks have been known to be opened by youths with nothing better to do - it would be nice if it was youths and they were caught they were made to carry buckets of water from the resi to the canal until it was full again - and then shoved in it

frippe

Reaction score
I just read this on BBC, I can't believe we have so many bans etc. There was a hose pipe ban in the lakes a couple of weeks back, even after there was enough rain to wash away a whole campsite.

We simply don't manage our water well enough, I mean its not like we dont get enough rain throughout the year.

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
I have to say Ed looking at the level of the water in that reservoir they showed on the telly it looked pretty desperate.

It's at the highest point of the canal and there are a series of 7 locks -- They said that some boaters have been leaving the gates open --and instead of waiting and squeezing two or three boats in the lock at a time to save water , as they've been asked to, they've just been going through one at a time

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
According to the authority on the radio yesterday the canal is only closed to boats it doesn't affect other users.

One of the problems with not using a canal is the build up of rubbish that finds its way into the water which is nearly always down to the anglers and walkers and it can soon become a stinking mess. The other thing, and the worst from the anglers point of view, is that in the summer heat the water can become deoxygenated as it stagnates and can lead to massive fish kills.

They closed the lock section of the Grand Union near Birmingham once for some much needed lock gate repair and the authorities were called on to act in order to save the millions of fish trapped there because they died in their thousands due to deoxygenisation. This only becomes obvious when the fish suddenly turn belly up and it gets reported and by the time the authorities get round to acting a lot of fish will have died.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I just read this on BBC, I can't believe we have so many bans etc. There was a hose pipe ban in the lakes a couple of weeks back, even after there was enough rain to wash away a whole campsite.

We simply don't manage our water well enough, I mean its not like we dont get enough rain throughout the year.

Have to agree there 100%, but why would the water companies manage it better,??? The more water they hold, the less they can charge for it, so by letting the levels stay low, they can bring in bans, then the following year charge more for the water, just by saying, we are investing and need to charge more to cover cost.

Like banks, Oil, gas and electric, they have a licence to print money.