Another ea cock up

richiekelly

Reaction score
Angling Times page three today the ea abolished the closed season on rivers by mistake 14 anglers prosecuted for out of season fishing have had their convictions quashed a further 90 will now not be prosecuted,apparently they then tried to hide the "mistake"by announcing plans to introduce a new bylaw to rectify things this was tagged onto the end of a seven page document on eel bylaws,as i have said on this forum before i have not purchased a licence this year and will continue not to while these people carry on making cock ups,i refuse to support an organisation that clearly is not up to the job it is supposed to do,and they are on about putting the licence up to £33:50 an increase of 24% they will not get my money until we get what we pay for.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Whilst I am sympathetic to your complaint about the cock-up and the fact that the whole business of the close season should be abolished completely (IMO) so that this would not occur again, I cannot defend your decision not to buy a licence.

If there is one thing that is securely enshrined in law it is that you cannot fish in this country without a rod licence and to do so you run the risk of being caught and fined - and receive a criminal conviction (that also means you can't enter shows like 'Who Wants To Be' etc. and you must declare your criminal record on all job applications).

Think carefully about it Mr Blanker, is it really worth it? You wouldn't be able to use their cock-ups as an excuse in Court, but on your head be it.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Whilst I am sympathetic to your complaint about the cock-up and the fact that the whole business of the close season should be abolished completely (IMO) so that this would not occur again

Well Jeff, don't hold your breath, because it will never happen, at least not in our life time . . . .

PS, my first and last post on the topic until next March, probably . . . .

richiekelly

Reaction score
Whilst I am sympathetic to your complaint about the cock-up and the fact that the whole business of the close season should be abolished completely (IMO) so that this would not occur again, I cannot defend your decision not to buy a licence.

If there is one thing that is securely enshrined in law it is that you cannot fish in this country without a rod licence and to do so you run the risk of being caught and fined - and receive a criminal conviction (that also means you can't enter shows like 'Who Wants To Be' etc. and you must declare your criminal record on all job applications).

Think carefully about it Mr Blanker, is it really worth it? You wouldn't be able to use their cock-ups as an excuse in Court, but on your head be it.

whilst i may agree with your views on the close season i dont expect anyone to defend my decision not to buy a licence it is my choice and my decision and i will not change my mind while this bunch of morons are in control,

as for being caught and fined i have only ever been asked for my licence twice in over 55 years of fishing (during which time i sometimes had up to 4 different licences under the old system) , having a criminal record for such a dastardly crime wouldnt bother me and i dont apply for jobs as i am retired .

you are wrong when you say that you cannot fish in this country without a licence i have been doing so for the last 2 seasons and it doesnt seem to have affected my fishing at all but i know what you mean.

its not the money that i begrudge but the fact that the people that recieve my money are not doing what they are supposed to do with it,would you keep going to a petrol station for £27 worth of fuel and only get £5 worth each time i suspect you would change petrol station, unfortunately with the rod licence there is no other station to go to,perhaps its time there was somewhere else to go with rod licence money such as the angling trust.

Reaction score
its not the money that i begrudge but the fact that the people that recieve my money are not doing what they are supposed to do with it,would you keep going to a petrol station for £27 worth of fuel and only get £5 worth each time i suspect you would change petrol station, unfortunately with the rod licence there is no other station to go to,perhaps its time there was somewhere else to go with rod licence money such as the angling trust.

I presume you are a member of the AT then Blanker?

If yes I kind of sympathise with your stand (although despite only having my licence checked once in 26 years, my seemingly endemic poverty and personal issues with the efficacy of EA policy and practice, I will continue to act within the law and buy a licence and renew AT membership).

If you're not in the AT, I'm not sure I understand where you are coming from...

Not meant to sound combative, just interested...

Last edited:

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
I have been told by some one who works for the E.A that they will be cutting back on the waterways side of it.
I feel the same way Blanker, but continue to buy a licence, as cheap and nasty as that little piece of card is.

richiekelly

Reaction score
I presume you are a member of the AT then Blanker?

If yes I kind of sympathise with your stand (although despite only having my licence checked once in 26 years, my seemingly endemic poverty and personal issues with the efficacy of EA policy and practice, I will continue to act within the law and buy a licence and renew AT membership).

If you're not in the AT, I'm not sure I understand where you are coming from...

Not meant to sound combative, just interested...

i am and would gladly pay double the licence fee if it went to people who care about angling and the environment that fish and other creatures live in not to an organisation that clearly has other aims that are far higher on their list of priorities than angling

klik2change

Reaction score
Mistakes or not, the EA will not do a better job if people refuse to buy a fishing licence. In my view even £33-50 is nowhere near enough for what we expect them to do every year!!

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
The cost isn't primarily the issue, it's how the money is used that is the problem.

I wouldn't mind paying £1.00p a week to go fishing when ever i wanted to, that's £52.00p a year (as cheap as chips) so long as that £52.00p went straight back in to improving the fishing and the waters.

You can go sea fishing all year round without a Rod License.

They still don't have a rod license in Scotland.

richiekelly

Reaction score
Mistakes or not, the EA will not do a better job if people refuse to buy a fishing licence. In my view even £33-50 is nowhere near enough for what we expect them to do every year!!

i agree that the ea will not do a better job just because i wont buy a licence, but on the other hand will me buying a licence make them do their job
as they are supposed to i doubt it, they havent so far when i have had a licence.