Ivan Marks RIP

PTnymph

Reaction score
I just heard that the legend fisherman Ivan Marks died today. He have been suffering cancer for quite a while now.

Rest in peace.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Very sad indeed. He'll be missed by many. A quality angler and a master of the waggler.

Over 10 England Caps
Won 3 out of 4 Great Ouse Championships
3 Times C.I.U. Champion
Welland Championship
Sunday Championship
Embassy Individual Champion

RIP mate

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Another one of the all time greats is lost.
It was people like Ivan that first got me interested in angling.
R.I.P.

T

The Monk

Great shame, never met the guy, but did a bit of business with him in the 70s, wasnt he in business with Roy Marlow? I have a few letters from Ivan in the loft somewhere!

D

Del

A very sad loss indeed.

Without doubt one of the very best anglers this country has ever produced.

R.I.P. Ivan.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
They fished for Leicester likely lads and they opened a tackle shop too in partnership I believe. Great angler and full of wit and enthusiasm, probably the most talked about and admired angler in the history of match fishing R.I.P.

W

Welsh Goff

Sad news indeed a great float angler, condolences to his family.

A

Andrew Macfarlane

Very sad. Ivan was the first big name celebrity angler I heard of. I'm sure he was a big influence for many of today's anglers. Myself included.

I pass on my condolences to his family and friends.

..Poach..

J

Jack Pike

One of my boyhood hero's did,nt he design the Mark 5 float rod sad to hear that he,s gone battled with cancer for years a true hero RIP

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

It is very sad to see him go. He was deservedly a legendary angler and by all accounts a thoroughly nice bloke.

T

Terry Comerford

An entertainer always.
A master angler in his lifetime.
A legend forever.
RIP Ivan.

P

Phil Hackett 2

Sad, sad loss to angling.-Top drawer angler, writer and character.
The sport will be poorer for his passing.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
This is the saddest news I have heard this year, and a great loss to the sport of angling.

Let us not forget that in the era when Ivan won most of his honours the matches were attended by hundreds not today's few dozen. A tallented and great angler who was always down to earth and happy to catch whatever was in front of him.

If there is a heaven then Ivan will be there catching on the waggler!

R.I.P. Ivan.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
What tragic news. Ivan was a tactical genius as well as one of the most skilled float anglers it has been my pleasure to watch. I only saw him fish at long range once in a National in 1978. It was the most incredible piece of float fishing I've ever seen. A heavy bodied waggler fished 40 yards across to the side of a thorn bush, groundbaiting by hand with extraordinary precision, catching small chub to gain a very high place in the section, I forgot to mention - there was a force ten cross-wind blowing.

Always approachable, and yet able to concentrate on catching fish and entertain a crowd at the same time. The photo was taken last February at the NEC, and as ever, Ivan was delighted to pose.

Ivan Marks, A true gentleman of angling. RIP.

W

Wolfman Woody

This is indeed bad news.

I only met Ivan properly the once when he attended out Champion of Champions match in 1998. He was delighted that I'd remembered him and had invited him to take part, but how could you ignore a legend? My only worry was would he be fit enough to travel and then fish. No worries, his wife (Lynda if I remember or if not then Margaret, I'm confused) took good care of him and made sure he didn't overstretch himself.

In the evening after the match we had a champagne buffet, it was fantastic with all manner of coarse fish on the menu. After that, Ivan came over to our table and must have spent the best part of an hour chatting to me on his knees. I remember thinking - this is a world class angler, would any pro-golfer be doing this with a common nobody like me?

The day after he was supposed to fish in our Marlow Rose Bowl Open, but he'd spent too long on his knees and his legs were by then playing up. He came to the venue and wished everyone well though, such a brilliant man he was. He also won Peter Stones heart that day.

When I'd asked how old he was now he said soemthing like 29. I laughed, but he explained that the heart he had been given would have been that age and so when he had the operation he set the clock back. One of the greatest anglers of our time, he will be very sadly missed and my deepest condolences go to his wife and family.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I sat behind Ivan a couple of time on the Avon at the John Smiths and though I tried not to disturb him, others weren't quite so considerate but never once did he ignore them and a bit of banter usually followed and always with that great smile and easy laugh that he had. He took life as it came and even after his heart transplant he just got on with it, with that devil may care attitude that he had.

Frank Barlow was also a character in match fishing and still talked of by the older matchmen but even he paled alongside Ivan. Isn't it a bloody shame when they have to up and leave us, it leaves a great hole, a sort of 'unfinished business' feeling.

Apart from a few words and bit of banter on the Avon I never knew him but I feel as though I did, such was the character of the man.

W

Wolfman Woody

Life goes on.

When my wife came home at lunchtime I told her, she'd met Ivan that same night and chatted to him and his wife.

She then told me of one of the managers at work announcing this morning that his wife had given birth to a baby son this weekend.

One life expires and another one begins. It's how it has to be. I said "He might turn out to be a cracking angler like Ivan then." Well, you never know.

S

Steve Ayscough

Ivan Marks was one of my heros when I was a kid, his passing is a massive lost to angling