Crap Fishing

Blunderer

Reaction score
Purely personal, and bound to offend large sections of the forum, but sod it.
What type of fishing do you think is crap?

I vote for matchfishing with a pole on a commercial stillwater.

I would rather do the DIY.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I don't match fish.

But I would say that canal fishing with a pole could be some of the most interesting.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Personally I've never been against any sort of fishery though I do tend to shy clear of carp only match fisheries, but I have been known to fish those now and again.

Some of the better match orientated commercials (what does that mean anyway, I pay at most places I fish, even rivers) contain some excellent silver fishing with quality tench and bream especially. I prefer rivers to pools any day but I'm not going to say that all 'commercial' pools are rubbish because that would be silly, and incorrect.

Whatever pulls my string is good but very small holes in the ground are a no no, not at any price.

L

Laurie Harper

One man's meat, etc. Must say, though, having been taken to a hole-in-the-ground by a well-meaning friend, it wasn't much fun, after the first half a dozen identikit carp.

Ergo

Reaction score
You would only say that beacause you have a new 14?m pole. Watch out for scousers ;)

Ergo

Reaction score
You would only say that beacause you have a new 14?m pole Ron. Watch out for scousers ;)

Ergo

Reaction score
Ed I refer you to the coarse thread by Ron.

Paul Hicks

Reaction score
Well, a farmer near where I live ran a big pipe from a stream into a big dip in one of his fields. It filled with water, making a shallow pond about 80 yards across. The farmer then stocked it with rainbows, and put up a sign on the main road calling it a trout fishery. Every day in summer, its ringed by people in waders wanging flies to and fro, to catch these daft stockies. That looks like crap fishing to me.

N

NottmDon

Long lining and trawling, though we dont get much of that here as its a local river for local people!

alan

Reaction score
whats wrong with trawling, catching several tons of fish, destroying the sea bed, and on your way chucking half of your catch back cause its to small, or the wrong type of fish?

Yorkie

Reaction score
People, should we be slagging off angling methods purely because we don't prefer them?
It wouldn't pay to like the same, that's what angling is all about - diversity.

Personally I don't particularly find interest in fly fishing but respect the opinions of those that do.

Typical angling attitudes such as having a go at carp anglers/ river anglers/ matchmen etc etc.

Who needs anti's, we can't get along as it is.
Just my opinion folks, everyone is different.

Blunderer

Reaction score
Yorkie, should we be slagging off other postings purely because we don't prefer them?
It wouldn't pay to post the same, that's what angling is about - diversity.

Personally I don't particularly find interest in Bob James but respect the opinions of those that do.

Typical angling attitudes such as having a go at carp anglers/ river anglers/ matchmen etc etc.

Who needs anti's, we can't get along as it is.

Just my opinion folks, everyone is different.

Lighten up, Yorkie, you are being as uptight as your regional stereotype!! It was meant as a bit of lighthearted banter

Paul Hicks

Reaction score
C'mon Yorkie we have to have somewhere to express our irrational prejudices. I go through life trying to be fair minded and liberal to one and all. But you have to draw the line somewhere, and there are certain kinds of fishing which just make any right-minded man's blood boil. Strett-pegging for example. Even the name of it tells you it is the preserve of the morally stunted.

S

Steve King

Each to his or her own I say - as long as the fishing is (a) leagal and (b) fun, go on and enjoy!

Paul, please could you elaborate on "Strett-pegging for example. Even the name of it tells you it is the preserve of the morally stunted"??? What on earth do you mean?

Stunted?? I don't think so, much less morally stunted!! Strett Pegging is still a good method in the right conditions and if you chose to ignore a method because you think it old-fashioned it says more about you and your narrow minded vision that it's practioners!!

Paul Hicks

Reaction score
Steve, it was a joke, I really have nothing against the noble art of strett pegging. Dapping though is another matter. Anyone who would dap, might well interfere with farm animals if they got the chance.

S

Steve King

Sorry Paul I thought you were being serious!!

I've always been dubious about the Swedes and their habit of going jigging in the sea using pirks!!

Paul Hicks

Reaction score
Dodgy lot the Swedes. What do they get up to in those little fishing huts out on the ice? They're in there stretting their pegs if you ask me. They'll be sorry, it causes blindness if you do it too much.

N

NottmDon

J R Hartley............now theres another one, didnt fish yet made angling quite popular with his quaint little add on the telly.......I'd be destroyed to learn he actually ran a fishing fleet of bottom dredging fish killing machines rofl!! I understood the thread to be a little less than serious. If we are being serious then I must admit that I like all forms of fishing apart from ocean going trawlers and take my hat off to anyone who pursues one form of angling against all others. Unfortunately my attention span dictates that I fish many methods for different species and I enjoy them all.