IDEA...?

Jeff

Reaction score
Hello Graham and everyone else,

Just a thought...

I wonder if it would be possible for you to add an 'edit' option to a persons existing thread or message where writers can go back and ammend their messages if they've missed bits out or made spelling mistakes???

The ammount of times I've done a thread or replied to someone elses and then realised that I have forgotten something could be countless by now ;0)

I'm sure that there are a lot of you out there that might agree with me on this one, what's your thoughts Graham?

Cheers as always,

Jeff

J

john conway

Jeff I think Graham answered this one a short while ago. Has something to do with braking down the logic of an argument in a thread, if someone alters what he or she said after several comments have been made. The whole thread then makes no sense.

J

jason fisher

can't see that being the reason most of these threads don't make any sense to start with.

S

Steve King

One of the Land Rover sites I visit has a pre-view option that allows you view your post in a similar format to the finished article. You can edit the post as many times as you like before clicking on "submit". After the post has been submitted you have a window of two hours in which you may amend the post. This system certainly seems to work as I've not seen any threads that make no sense as a result of a post being edited.

J

john conway

Steve, have you seen the speed at which threads develop on this site? Take the ?Jane & Bob James quit the ACA? thread, about six postings in two hours. On some of the Bait Box threads were there?re loads of one liners you can get into the twenty odd postings in two hours. It?s much better to put up another post correcting your mistake or change of opinion. If it?s really important then Graham will edit it for you. Most of the time your right it doesn?t matter but occasionally it does if you are taking someone to task over what they?ve said.

S

Steve King

I take your pont John, however threads on the Land Rover site can develop quickly a well and as I say I'm not aware of any problems caused by editing.

The pre-view window is really useful feature and you can play around to your heart's content prior to hitting the "submit" button.

J

john conway

Steve I agree with a pre view window and for me a spell check. If it?s more than a couple of sentences I cut and paste from word.

W

Wolfman Woody

It would be nice to have some text enhancement features on here such a bold, underline, and italics perhaps not to mention and enhanced character set and tab settings.

A preview or WYSIWYG might also help especially where spacing of characters etc is important. Note that we type in a fixed space font, but the posting appears in a variable spaced font. Confusing.

Saying that, there are posters on here that don't even know the return key or space bar or shift key exists. Bet it really confuses them when they get a message "Press any key to continue.." "Doh, wheres the 'ANY' key?"

L

Les Clark

Jeff, I feel that it should be left as it is,after all we are not writing to the bank manager and if we start editing our posting we may lose some of the character of the posting`s ,so to speak.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Its served us OK for about 5 years now ---if it aint broke .........

P

Phil Hackett 2

Rarely does anybody pick people up for bad spelling, grammar, mistakes etc unless they're being a right prat. And that includes Ron :0)
For once I?m with Ed on this one :0)

P

Phil Hackett 2

Interestingly, Ron and myself were talking about the quality of this site at the Fish-in compared to others. I described it as thus - This site is like the broadsheets (actually I said the Guardian just to P*** him off) the others are the tabloids. The Sun is ****** the Mirror ***** and so on. You can fill in the **** :0)
Yet another thread Corrupted ;0)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for the good words fellas, and I appreciate the call (yet again!) for an editing facility, which John has answered very adequately.

I'm not sure if the preview window is a good idea or not. I do know it sounds like it would take a lot of resources.

A facilty for text enhancement sounds good, a wysiwyg one anyway. I don't know if it's just me who can <U>enhance text</U> with code or if anyone can. Someone try it and we'll see.

Anyhow, the tech boys who look after the nuts and bolts of the site are always working on improving things and I'll pass on your suggestions.

W

Wolfman Woody

I used to do a lot of text coding years ago with a primitive (by comparison to now) word processor called Volkswriter.

That was 20 years ago and I've forgotten. And it may be different on here.

B

Bully

Graham - stay as is. I hate preview panels as it just wastes more time. If I make a cock up I'll just put in another post.

S

Steve King

Thanks to the various postings by forum members I can now put clicky links in posts. I've tried doing bold and underline using HTML but without any joy. I believe that certain HTML commands don't work in this forum.

How about an idiot's guide to enhanced text Graham?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

We all make spelling mistakes and grammatical errors at times. I never pull anyone apart for doing so because I make many myself.

Except the Monk and Ed of course..... :eek:)