Rubbish

Shine

Reaction score
I know this has been covered a few times but I'd love every angler to do his/her part.

Maybe one day these people off Jeremy Kyle show will think.....:rolleyes:
but then again maybe not, slobs are always going to be slobs I guess.

This is was what greeted me when I went to a lake on Tuesday. This was just one tiny little swim.

P1060951.jpg

I know it's not exactly Glastonbury festival rubbish left behind but there's still no need for it. Don't know why it pi$$es me off so much but it does.

PLEASE TAKE YOUR RUBBISH HOME

frippe

Reaction score
Annoys me too, I had litter in my swim at Boundary. Annoys me even more when your way out in the sticks down a nice little quiet stretch and you see bags and tins etc thrown in a bush. Its far easier to take away empty tins than it is to take full ones with you..

Cakey

Reaction score
all clubs and waters should have one or two litters bailiffs and give them a free ticket to keep clean if its not clean take ticket away and give to some one that does keep it clean

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I agree with you Shine,

It's disgraceful the lack of thought and a little bit of effort that so eludes some people.

I will be a litter bailliff and i will have no problem helping those responsible for leaving the rubbish to learn the error of there ways.

Cheese grater on the genitals should stop most, and for those it doesn't stop, then let them litter i say :D

On a little lake close by to where i live there is no Night Fishing allowed, the lake is far enough out of the way to afford privacy for when you are fishing and is surrounded by woodland, there lies the problem, a few local teenagers and youngsters use the place as a hideaway because of the privacy and quite often they leave rubbish etc etc
So it may not always be anglers or legal anglers, still no excuse for it, but an alternative to anglers.

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
In the club I belong to work parties are voluntary, as I work most weekends, I can't make the work parties, so I Volunteered to go around the lakes whenever I fished there with a bin liner and pick up any rubbish. Most of the rubbish I have picked up has been discarded beer tins and disposable barbecues, I think these are mainly left by the foreign fruit pickers who picnic on the banks. At least I hope it is. I would be disgusted if it were members who are behaving like pigs.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
What about setting up Recycle bins at the Entrance / Exit to the Fisheries, that way any rubbish disposed of could be recycled and the money raised form it could be put back in to the Fishery itself whether it be Club owned or Day Ticket.

This might not deter people from dumping there rubbish but it might encourage more to dispose of it responsibly.
I suppose the only problem being is you might not make much money from it to show it making a significant difference, perhaps the funds could go to a Charity regardless of how much was raised.

Just a thought.

Shine

Reaction score
all clubs and waters should have one or two litters bailiffs and give them a free ticket to keep clean if its not clean take ticket away and give to some one that does keep it clean

I like this idea and will suggest it.

slime monster

Reaction score
Unfortunately there is a minority who are complete morons in angling and indeed other walks of life, these idiots ignore rules about litter ,gates and general rules and will continue to do so without care regardless of any warnings . I have worked on houses with gardens that resemble a council tip the tenants having no respect for their property or Neighbours ...it is these air wasters that are responsible in the main , they have always been in our midst ......I would shoot them !!

Cakey

Reaction score
I know what your saying Woody but its not just anglers and my way works for a clean lake

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
My club has a rule where any member fishing a swim must clear away any rubbish/litter before fishing and it is assumed to be yours whether it is not. Hardly a very fare rule though is it.
On a commercial the problem might be better controlled but I get heartily sick of clearing away others rubbish on my club waters.
The only way on a stillater, where only anglers visit, is 24/7 bailiffing but just how many clubs have the 'bodies' to do that? We do after all do what we do for 'pleasure'
On rivers it's even worse, and my local free river fishing areas are a nightmare.
It does make me wonder whether these people treat their home/gardens in this way. Mind, having spent a great deal of my working life in poeples homes I shouldn't need to ask that, some do, and worse. To call them pigsties would be an insult to pigs.

Last edited:

Shine

Reaction score
Just got off the phone after a long chat to the secretary of the club. Apparently is not all down to anglers. There's a bus stop near by and he has seen people get off the bus on their to work at a near by industrial estate. They sit on the steps by the swims and leave their rubbish. When he has seen this he as asked them to take their litter away he has been laughed at or told to f off.
The owners of the lake are meant to come around every morning and clear up, but I've never seen them... Why should it be down to them anyway. Don't hurt to take it with you and put it in the nearest bin.

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Just out of interest, where is the nearest bin ? Probably not near the lake I'd wager. Fishery owners could help them selves with a few placed wheely bins, but unfortunately the majority of anglers are scruffy sods who leave all sorts of cr@p everywhere and they might not use them anyway - however the bigger commercials I have been to supply bins and there wasnt much rubbish. Perhaps they are policed better.

However, there is one important caviat to all this. Weather. I've fished the last couple of days in winds gusting to 20 odd miles an hour. Now when I've got pole sections rolling towards the drink, my crisp packet (or packet of pellets if you want - box mine up before I go) thats just fallen out of my pocket while I'm reaching for said sections isnt a top priority. Now the packet was retreived but only because the wind changed direction and it floated back to me.

Cakey

Reaction score
theres two problems with bins
1 someone has to empty them
2 your saying dont take your rubbish home with you

blankmeister

Reaction score
I believe some councils (if not all) charge for commercial waste collection and I know of one water where they will not put bins out because of this. I can't help but sympathise. How difficult is it to collect your own rubbish and stick it in your bin at home?
It's not just an angling problem. How often do you see rubbish chucked out of a car window, or fast food wrappers dropped in the street. Wouldn't it be great to find out where these ar$holes live, collect up their rubbish and ram it through their letter boxes. Yet again, I don't suppose they'd notice:rolleyes:

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
I believe some councils (if not all) charge for commercial waste collection and I know of one water where they will not put bins out because of this. I can't help but sympathise. How difficult is it to collect your own rubbish and stick it in your bin at home?
It's not just an angling problem. How often do you see rubbish chucked out of a car window, or fast food wrappers dropped in the street. Wouldn't it be great to find out where these ar$holes live, collect up their rubbish and ram it through their letter boxes. Yet again, I don't suppose they'd notice:rolleyes:

Yes councils charge. And charge quite a bit, but there are private companies that may charge less. This next bit is aimed at owners of commercial waters - PAY FOR BINS. Do you think Macdonalds wants to pay for there bins (and there are normally a few outside their "restaurants" )or pay the wheelie bins out back or pay for the poor sod to fill 'em. No. Of course not. Commercial owmers are a business and they think they dont need to employ "store dectives" to stop fish thefts (animal & human theives) or bins to collect rubbish that often they themselves create by making people buy their pellets. Yes people who drop rubbish need a slap, but lake owners need to get their house in order as well. And dont get me started on tackle shop "customer service" another san inditement of how half arsed angling can be......

I'm ranting now arent I. Sorry.