bobbins/fag-paper

Mark Williams 8

Reaction score
Hi all

my name's Mark and newish to fishing, as by two boys want to fish and being the Dad i'm supposed to know it all?.

We have had some luck float-fishing at Glouster Park and Lake Meadows, but now my boys want to try Feeder-fishing/Ledgering?, but before i go and buy bite alarms is there any other way to tell a bite, i was told to use a fag paper but not how.

Could someone come to my rescue please, so then i can get back to my float-fishing to try and try and try............ to catch a fish as long as it's not too big! i don't want to panic! to much.

thanks very much in advance

R

Ron Troversial Clay

What I suggest you do Mark is buy a book on the basics of angling.

Now here I am in a bit of a quandery.

What does our membership recommend - One of the John Wilson books?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Tony Whieldon's "Complete Fishing Skills" (I think)- He's tops at making a picture worth a thousand words.

The minimalist "Dough bobbin" - a bit of paste pinched on the line - is still useful, cheap and adaptable; if you want a cheap, audible alarm, then the ancient dodge of a coin lying over the line, on the edge of a "Golden Syrup" or similar tin will still work, as long as you make sure your coin will fall INTO the tin(!).
Mmmm...Golden Syrup... off in search of toast, now.

jp

Reaction score
quote "What I suggest you do Mark is buy a book on the basics of angling."

Personally, I love books, but to many people today the internet is their library, the least you can do is answer the question.

Quivertips are one option, swingtips are another. Polaris floats can also be used with a feeder. Bobbins can be made from many articles, tin foil is an old favourite, if it's a bit windy just lodge the bobbin on a twig pushed into the ground.

N

NottmDon

In all fairness you dont need alarms or indicators at all, just a good pair of eyes to watch the end of your rod and watch the bite develop. The above examples are good old ones if you feel you need an indicator. Another one out of the ark is a simple budgies bell attached just above your reel for an audible alarm. I think also as mentioned above a good book on fishing basics would be an investment, you could read up on it and then impress your lads with your knowledge the next day! Hope you have as much fun teaching your youngsters to fish as I did with my son. Since hes now in his twenties hes at the age were he thinks he can teach me a thing or two now, no doubt hes right, but dont tell him I admitted to that last bit lol!

Mark Williams 8

Reaction score
Thankyou everyone for your replies.

The rods that my sons and i have are not quivertip, so do i really need to buy such a rod?, and when i do what's a reasonable one (make and such like) as i''m on disability money as everyone knows just wont grow on trees! no matter how much i wish.

I do read some books, but sometimes theres no better help than being told something by a person who to me fishes in the real world and not pro? (sorry if this has upset anyone)

Thanks again
best of fishing

Mark and sons

L

Les Clark

Mark, you don`t say what you are fishing for, if it`s for small roach,bream, perch,no need for bite alarm`s, stick to the float fishing unless you have to fish at long range,a lot more fun for short range fishing ,plus you will find out how different the bites are from different fish ,and then take it from there.

J

jason fisher

how to make a very cheep indicator, buy the kids a kinder surprise egg.
give the chocolate to the kids, get the little plastic thingy that the toy comes in and pierce a small hole in both the top and bottom.
araldite a swivel into the bottom and a hair grip into the top,
tie some strong cord to the swivel, open the egg and put a few shot or small bomb inside it, clip it onto the line using the hair grip.
it's cheap and cheerful and does the job until you have decided on whether you like ledgering or not.

jp

Reaction score
You can buy screw in quivertips of different strengths(approx test curves), go for lighter ones for stillwaters.

This is only an option if you have a threaded tip ring on your rod, although it's not difficult to fit one, and cheaper than buying a new rod only to discover that you prefer float fishing anyway.

(I'm trying to work out who you think you might have upset? It certainly wasn't me, but it did occur to me that you might have misinterpreted part of my original post - but I was having a dig at Ron not you Mark.)

N

NottmDon

Mark you could look up second hand rods in Anglers Times or Anglers Mail or search the Dragon Carp/Used tackle site or Badger Tackle on the net. Theres loads of ledger type rods out there and they arent that pricey nowadays. I dont think theres ever been a better time to buy reasonably priced good quality tackle than right now. All the major mfgs do ledger and feeder rods and theres bound to be something that will suit your budget. Good Luck.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
My early bobbin was a washing up bottle top. THe modern tops are no longer suitable, but I still have 3 of the old ones in my fishing kit. For night fishing they were adapted with blue tack to hold a starlight, also you could use blue tack to hold in shot on the underside if you needed more weight.

N

NottmDon

Mark I got a catologue yesterday from West Midlands Angling Centre and their feeder/tip rods start at ?29 a go. Whats that antiques guy say? oh yeah "cheap as chips" lol. Think they have a website too.Good hunting mate.