Current Rods - Refurbish or replace ??

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Hi Folks.

I'de like to pick your brains. Following many years on the carp scene i am now re-assessing my hobby & want to split more of time fishing other species.

I have a set of 3 "Shimano X-Carp 211 ". These are 11ft 1-3/4lb tc rods that i bought new in 1989, still in great condition, but i would like to get the handles corked if i decide to start using agin.
I'm assuming these will be fine for stillwater bream & tench, but what about the river, will these be suitable if i want to persue bigger river species, will the fact that they are not got any kind of quiver tip rule these out.

Advice would be appreciated

Bluenose

Reaction score
I would imagine they'd be fine for barbel but the lack of a quiver tip (although could be used for touch legering) means possibly a lack of fnesse and possibly a little heavy for chub.

How about making it a bit of a project for yourself to re-cork the handles yourself?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I'd suggest fishing with them in their new roles before forking out for new cork butts!
It might be worth getting a threaded tip-ring from Hopkins and Holloway and whipping in on to one of them to try out with screw-in quiver tips, but at that test-curve I'd have thought your main river quarry would be barbel, which seldom require such finesse...
Worth trying them out with heavy float gear, too - they're likely to be too long in the butt for easy use as the are now, but you'll get an idea whether or not to give one of them a shorter butt to use as a dedicated heavy float rod (Then you can tart it up with a double butt-ring for centre-pin work, and inch markings whipped/painted on for pecise depth-checking, etc).

BarryC

Reaction score
If you like the rods and think they will do a job then yes give them a birthday.
I am currently striping my old Daiwa jaguar float rod. I could probably find a modern rod cheaper but I love using it and thats what matters to me.

Bluenose

Reaction score
If you like the rods and think they will do a job then yes give them a birthday.
I am currently striping my old Daiwa jaguar float rod. I could probably find a modern rod cheaper but I love using it and thats what matters to me.

Spot on. The cost of tackle now means you could probably get something better and for less than the cost of the refurb, but, as you say if you enjoy using it then that's what matters!

preston96

Reaction score
Some "older" rods are based on a blank that either by design or accident is simply superb.....i dont know the Shimano rods mentioned but i do know that Shimano have produced blanks that are as i said simply superb.

I have rods that are 20+ years old and i couldn't replace them, friends still have their Northwestern blanks rebuilt when they need it.

That said, there are some superb "off the shelf" rods about today, i love my Korum twin tops, my Shaky Mach feeders etc............it's down to choice.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Some "older" rods are based on a blank that either by design or accident is simply superb.....i dont know the Shimano rods mentioned but i do know that Shimano have produced blanks that are as i said simply superb.

I have rods that are 20+ years old and i couldn't replace them, friends still have their Northwestern blanks rebuilt when they need it.

That said, there are some superb "off the shelf" rods about today, i love my Korum twin tops, my Shaky Mach feeders etc............it's down to choice.

I have to confess to checking out the Shakespeare Mach feeder rods, but no-one local to me seems to stock them

noknot

Reaction score
Hi C_N,

I would keep them, they will be just fine! Give Nick Buss a call, he will see you right with your corks! After they are renovated, why not post a pic?;)

p.s. My light tc Carp rods have cork handles too.

Carpa20Pod.jpg

Last edited:

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Hi mate

Yep .... definately leaning toward keeping them now. I also have a lovely little bream & tench water (with odd carp) that will be perfect aswell

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
All my rods have cork handles, you could try ringing a few shops to get a price for the work.

Try Johnson Ross on 01992 462044.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Just had an unexpected offer for a set of original Wychwood Barbel in 1.5lb tc. I have a soft spot for the earlier Wychwood rods so very tempted