Wareham lake

Yacko

Reaction score
Hello Mark,
as usual a very enjoyable article, I would love to tag along on one of your adventures and gleen some of your knowledge.
Hope you have a good break but if you have got time to answer a couple of questions before you disappear. What is the name of the still water you fished near Wareham? and have you any tips for casting when fishing such deep water. I find the float wants to wrap around the top of the rod.
Thanks Yacko.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Yacko,
As the lake is private with no day tickets I am reluctant to name it publicly or give its location away. Local anglers are aware of it, and the situation regarding fishing rights is changing at present therefore it is best to leave it that way. If you are a local angler (to Wareham/Poole/Ringwood) I would be happy to take you fishing sometime in the future (perhaps even on that lake once the situation is sorted).

As for avoiding tangles, I have two tips. First ensure that the float is at least three or even four feet from the rod tip when trying to cast, second, I tend to hold the line just above the hook with my left hand and use the spring of the rod tip to set the cast in motion. This last bit is vital when casting in the swim I was fishing where the bank behind you prohibits overhead casting. I was only fishing close in on the lake.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

A well earned rest certainly , Mark.

I have enjoyed your articles greatly, touching as they do on rivers & styles of fishing I most enjoy.

Recharge the batteries & maybe we might see that Roach book next year?

Yacko

Reaction score
Hello Mark,
thanks for your reply, the reason I asked about the lake is that my club are supposed to be buying the freehold for a lake in Wareham. I won't name it as I dont want to cause any problems either.
I think I met you once at a lake which I also won't name, you were doing a Perch article and I had got there first and pinched the Lily-pad swim you wanted!
I would like to fish with you sometime in the future, please E Mail me when it suits your plans. I live in Moordown.
Regards Yacko.

J

Jim Crosskey 2

Mark

Enjoy the break, but please don't leave it too long - I've always found your articles to be amongst the best (and certainly the most consistent) on FM.

All the best

Jim