Chris Tarrant resigns from the ACA

Peter Knight

Reaction score
Stephen Marsh Smith wrote 'I intend to instil a culture of transparency ' but this hasn't been made very public yet - I wonder why?

Dear Stephen

It is with real sadness that I'm afraid I have to resign from my position as
President of the ACA. I have watched with dismay the treatment of Bob &
Jane James in recent weeks and I believe that several sledgehammers have
been used to crack a nut.

The locking them out of their office, an office that Jane has dignified for
18 years, and the levelling against them of "crimes" involving a hoover and
the now famous 90p cash voucher, should surely have been settled over a pot
of tea.

When men of the stature of Chris Sandford, Neil Leaver, Chris Liebbrandt and
Trevor Johnson all walk away from the ACA there is clearly something
seriously amiss.

The whole affair seems to have been handled in a manner unworthy of the
Association that I was once so proud to serve as President and I want no
further part of it.

Yours sincerely
CHRIS TARRANT OBE

Mick Parkinson

Reaction score
Definately, someone needed to help get it cleared up before they could move on.
Question is, will the ACA move on now or go down the same route as the NFA?
This does not look very clever for angling, especially as we have more fragmented groups inside our sport now than ever before.
We do need to start sorting out our sport alot better than we have been doing. We need some good news.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
My reply to this thread can be found : <a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/12994/last/1/V/1/SP/>here</a>.

We now have three threads running on this issue. It would be better if we stuck to one of them.

Peter Knight

Reaction score
Graham Marsden,

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel this is big enough news to warrant it's own thread.

It is clear from the letter that this is a direct result of the way this saga has been handled.

I cannot imagine that anyone will be able to put a spin on this news and say that it's a good thing for the ACA!

Peter Knight

Reaction score
Pete Smith posted this on Anglersnet

For information, my letter to Dr Marsh Smith.

Stephen

I feel I must resign as a Council Member of the ACA.

I agreed to serve on the committee as I wanted to be able to support the work of the Association and make a popsitive contribution. However with the current upheavals within the organization it has become obvious to me that this committee has only a supernumerary role. I have only learnt of what is happening by reading things in the press or on websites or by conversations with friends who are either involved or are committee members who are not allowed to discuss it.

On a personal note I find it sad that the close friendship that you have had with Bob over the past years has ended as it has.

I will be staying as a member of the ACA as an individual as the work that it does is vital.

Regards

Peter Smith

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Peter Knight,

It's big enough news but it's all to do with the ACA and the Jameses. Why break up the discussion into different places?

Far be it from me to discourage yet another thread on the same topic, and if that's what the members want then that's fine. It just doesn't make sense to me to split the same discussion over several threads.

It's only a suggestion, but why don't you copy and paste your opening thread to <a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/12994/last/1/V/6/SP/634412288923330639212>this one</a>, which is the main discussion on the topic and the one that most members are following.

Peter Knight

Reaction score
Graham,

I tried to add it to the other thread (including the replies) but I must be doing something wrong, can you do it for me?

P

Phil Hackett 2

With the greatest respect to CT, he was only there because of his celeb status not for what he'd done for angling, because from where I sit that was bugger all!

Wearyone

Reaction score
Was not Chris Tarrant, and Bob James for that matter, instrumental in publicising the Prostrate Cancer Charity through the National Fishathon?
CT is also involved in GHOF and several other worthwhile organsiations.

W

Wolfman Woody

I'm not going to criticise Chris. He's not a pushy person in his hobby and it wasn't until he was asked to become President of the ACA that he really wanted to get stuck in, so to speak. You can't blame him for just wanting to be a fisherman.

I think given time he would have been the best thing to happen to the ACA and I hope that whatever transpires now, he eventually comes back. Keep the job open for him, I say. It does need a figurehead that is easily identified by the public.