Polaroids

goldenboy55

Reaction score
hi does anybody know if its possible to "check" how good a pair of polaroids are in-store before buying them?
most places I shop at dont have a handy stretch of water, of indeterminate depth and clarity with a variety of light conditions; so I would like to know of any tips or tricks I can use to determine the efficiency of any I might consider purchasing.

ANDY SKI

Reaction score
I know there was a test you could perform with lcd screen of a mobile phone,but not sure how it's done :confused:

The Sogster

Reaction score
Take two pairs of polarised glasses, hold one in front of the other and look through both pairs of lenses at the same time. Now rotate one pair 90 degrees to the other, you will see that no light is now let through.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Take two pairs of polarised glasses, hold one in front of the other and look through both pairs of lenses at the same time. Now rotate one pair 90 degrees to the other, you will see that no light is now let through.
Correct ......

The Sogster

Reaction score
Having re-read Andy's post, just tried my polaroids on my 'phone. Surprised me the test also works that way. Look through the lense and rotate the 'phone. Didn't realise 'phone screens were polarised.

noknot

Reaction score
Another quick way, is to look at a car windscreen, you will see the
strengthening lines then rotate 90 deg's and they should disapear;)

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I fail to see how you can tell how good a pair of Polaroid Sunglasses are by either putting 1 pair in front of another pair, or by looking at the screen of a Mobile Phone an LCD tv or a car window screen.

Now before you think i am being awkward, please hear me out, all any of these tests do is prove that the glasses are Polaroid Sunglasses, they do not tell the user how good they are for fishing in water.

Other than taking the Glasses out with you and field testing them or trying on a pair that a friend already has i don't know of any other sure way of proving there effectiveness.
Some Polaroids will already come with excellent reviews as they have been around a while, a lot of it could also depend on how much you want to spend on a pair.

Perhaps some FM members can recommend a few pairs to you that they have already tried and probably still use, all you have to do then is try on a few pairs until you find the one that you
A, feel comfortable on you
B, Can Afford
c, like the look of

I currently use an old pair of John Wilson Polaroid Sunglasses, they are not the most fashionable looking, they cost me around £10.oop but the reason i bought them was because they got quite a good write up in a fishing magazine and i thought at the time i'll give them ago.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Stealth, I don't think anyone was suggesting you can tell how good a pair of polaroids are from this test, I certainly wasn't. Just how to tell if the lenses are polarised.
I was surprised that it worked with mobile 'phones though.
The most important thing is to buy lenses with 100% UV protection, look for ones that are rated at UV400.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
hi does anybody know if its possible to "check" how good a pair of polaroids are in-store before buying them?

Sorry sogster,

I was not trying to cast any reflection on yourself or any other FM member (see how i used Cast and Reflection) i'm a genuis.
Anyway, where was i, oh yes, i was merely trying to point out that GoldenBoy55 had asked the question of how he could "check" how good the Polaroids were before buying them.

You lot strayed off track, so don't blame me lol only kidding

So, sogster which Polaroids do you currently use or have you used previously ? and would you recommend them to other anglers ?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of prescription sunglasses from Optilabs. I purchased the Aviator style, as previously I have had the wrap around type and wasn't too keen. I bought the Ultra 2000 type lenses and they are the best sun/driving glasses I have ever used. Not only are they polarised, but the tint of the lens changes along with the shade. My only regret is that I didn't go for the vari-focal lenses. As for value for money, for me they are worth the expense. I drive for a living and these are far and away the best I have used. The down sides are:

a) They cost a tad over £200.00.

b) The screens of sat navs are hard to see.

c)You can't see mobile phone screens or as is important in my case lcd displays.

Oh, by the way, the service from the people in the Optilabs shop is second to none. If you can get to their shop then they do eye tests on the premises, very thorough they are too. They also do normal specs and they are a fraction of the price of High Street opticians.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Here is something else to consider when choosing your Polaroid Sunglasses, which colour lens.

A splash of colour.

Choose the lens colour that helps you see exactly what you’re after.

Lens colours help you see what’s ahead

Yellow – perfect for seeing all the way to the bottom of shallow water. On overcast days, yellow uses all available light to enhance contrasts.

Brown – enhances grassy river or lake beds. Great for contrasts and low light at dawn and dusk.

Grey – ideal for spotting darker fish in deep water and for all kinds of weather.

I have also posted a link Fishing Sunglasses | Polarized Fishing Sunglasses | By Polaroid so you can read up for yourself, there is even a review on one pair by FishingMagic and Carp Fishing Forum.

stan_lee

Reaction score
I use the fox Polaroids and think there good for the money at around 20 quid a pair but you can also get the set with one pair of frames and three sets of lenses to cover all your needs.
I have tryed quite a few pairs of Polaroids over the years and think there all about the same until you start to paying megabucks.

Lee

jcp01

Reaction score
The problem with all polaroid glasses is that they do not always work as we would want, in all possible conditions - I mean to say that not all states of the sun-ray's angles, vis a vis the waters ever variable surface, are always at optimum angles for the lens.

What you really need is a photographic polarising lens filter that you hold in front of one eye and rotate for optimum penetration...

Is that clear?

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
The problem with all polaroid glasses is that they do not always work as we would want, in all possible conditions - I mean to say that not all states of the sun-ray's angles, vis a vis the waters ever variable surface, are always at optimum angles for the lens.

What you really need is a photographic polarising lens filter that you hold in front of one eye and rotate for optimum penetration...

Is that clear?

--or a fixed photographic polarising lens filter and rotating eyeballs .....

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I seem to remember having a pair of ''Dennis Searl'' polarised glasses back in the early sixties. They had two small levers built into the frame above each eye. The object being that you could alter the polarizing effect.
Several members of the Northern Specimen Hunters group had them. It was Steve Crawshaw who introduced us to them............
Surely with today's technology it must be possible to achieve the principal we are all looking for. Or would it again be cost prohibitive. :cool:

flightliner

Reaction score
Oh, by the way, the service from the people in the Optilabs shop is second to none. If you can get to their shop then they do eye tests on the premises, very thorough they are too. They also do normal specs and they are a fraction of the price of High Street opticians.
Ray- do you think "optilabs" would take the lenses out of my old sunglasses and re-frame them-- I dont know what make they are but they re the best I have ever used and dread the time when the frames finally fail on me.I've had them for about fifteen years and paid £7 for them.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score

I wouldn't reccomend that one......

1) Everyone in the shop will think you're off you're rocker.
2) Surley by turning the front pair through 90° you'll just be looking through one pair, and making a bigger fool of yourself :)

Just tried the mobile phone test with a pair of Fox ones, and it dosen't work.......... Does that mean my samsung is sh*t? ;)

Best ones I ever had came from boots many years ago. Out of the three or four pairs I have now, bar far the best are a yellow lensed set from a fly fishing dealer. I think made by 'scierra'.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
y- do you think "optilabs" would take the lenses out of my old sunglasses and re-frame them-- I dont know what make they are but they re the best I have ever used and dread the time when the frames finally fail on me.I've had them for about fifteen years and paid £7 for them.

I would have thought that most Opticians could do this if they were non prescription. Optilabs put some new lenses into a pair of frames I had to make some reading/computer glasses. As I had bought a pair of specs and a pair of sunglasses they did this FOC for me.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Stealth, no offence taken. I agree we had gone off track.

As for my own, my usual are a pair of aviator style polaroids (tm) with grey lenses. Couldn't tell you the model, just remember buying them in Bengaluru.