Teaching Cub Scouts .....

• Thread starter matthew nightingale 2
  • Start date
M

matthew nightingale 2

I'm going to teach my Cub Pack about the dangers of playing by rivers. I can think of the obvious ones but I'm sure that Forum members can think of some that I haven't; grateful for any help.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Make sure there are enough adult attendants to children at all times, especially near water.

Try you're local swimming baths for group lessons on self survival in the water.
It is good for confidence building. One I went to some years back, which tought you not to panick and how to relax in the water, amongst other things like respect for the water even though you may be a good swimmer.
Diveing into water where you can not see the bottom is for tv films only. Allways lower yourself in the side if need be.Just one of things that they teach you.

Clikfire

Reaction score
Hi Matthew,

I don't know if they would be willing to offer any free advice, but this is the same service type and training that is being given to firebrigade personnel.

Most of it is how you shouldn't do it, stay out of the water type message. But due to what your doing they may be able to provide some good quality information.

They are an American based organisation but recognised as world leaders in there feild.
This is one of there UK bases, I know there's one in Northants but can't find the relevant information.

Good luck.

Canolfan Tryweryn
National Whitewater Centre
Frongoch, Bala
Gwynedd
LL23 7NU
Tel: 01678 521 083
Fax: 01678 521158
email: info@rescue3.co.uk

andrew_b

Reaction score
You could drown one as a warning to the others ...

Or contact your local canoe / kayak club, i'm not sure what they are like were you are. Here they are very friendly.

D

david bruce 1

Matthew
It's not just what they do but what others do as well. Horseplay and dares come to mind. Good luck, I enjoyed my years scouting.