THE FISHING EXAM...

Jeff

Reaction score
Hello all,

Here is something that I have thought about since talking with a friend of mine from Germany...

In some respects I will continue from a previous thread about the sorry condition, neglect and bad management of some of our Carp day ticket waters...

What do you guys think about people having to sit an exam before they get their line wet?

To most it may sound a little extreme but my friend from Stuttgart, Germany has recently told me that you have to sit a thorough exam before you are allowed to obtain a fishing licence!

Personally I would welcome this idea. For instance, you can't just buy a driving licence from the post office and just drive a car, why, because you will be a danger to others and yourself. Well, why can't our precious fish be shown the same sort of respect?

If you had to sit and successfully pass a one-day written and practicle exam before being allowed to fish then so be it. Ok, the industry might loose some revenue from those once a season wannabe anglers deterred by such trouble as having to do this exam but so what. At least those that did take to time to do it could be educated in fish care etc...

I for one would like to see this put into force and then strictly monitored by the EA and WA and baliffs on all waters. Anyone found without the stamped licence would be band from fishing and given a fine!

Sounds harsh perhaps but could only lead to good things in the long run, preservation of our sport and get the anti's off our back if they see we are actually doing something positive instead of just telling them to sod off ;0)

Don't know what you guys think but would be very interested to hear your thoughts on this subject...

Cheers,
Jeff

J

john conway

I was going to say testicles, what about all the kids fishing with bent pins and worms for sticklebacks in millponds etc. But then I realised that there?s no mill ponds and any kid that?s now allowed to venture out to such adventure playgrounds are about as rare as rocking horse sh-t.
On a serious note, the only thing I can say is we would be playing in to the hands of the anti?s by the suggestion that something needs to be done to stop anglers from being cruel. The route I would take would be financial support to clubs and organisations for beginner?s Fish-ins etc., even if such were funded through a slight increase in the existing EA licence and of course hammer the sods that don?t have a licence.

W

Wolfman Woody

We discussed it before in threads to do with licencing in general.

I think the general concensus was that you'd kill fishing.

Better educate as needs be and show better ways by demonstration. (as it should have been in that programme I eluded to in your other thread).

Jeff

Reaction score
Sorry guys but what better way is there to educate than sitting an exam?

Like you say John, beginners fish-ins are a good way forward but they could perhaps be made compulsary and run by the EA.

The reason I find this Exam idea so appealing is to protect the future of our sport as we all want to do. With more and more Carp soups cropping up all over the country I believe that nipping that prevention could be better than cure. We all want to avoid the attentions of the anti's. So what better way to shut them up then to make our sport more sound-proof?

I am not suggesting that it is necessary to sit the emam to avoid cruelty to fish but to simply educate people towards better practice...

Jeff

Jeff

Reaction score
forget the nipping bit, was going to say nipping it in the bud... doh!

S

sash

"I think the general concensus was that you'd kill fishing"

No, just leave it in the hands of those that care about the environment enough to take an exam.

T

Tim Richardson 2

I passed my driving test/exam in 1976. Does that automatically make me a good driver? Answers on a postcard please.
This would be another example of trying to appease a bunch of ill informed tossers who would be anti angling, no matter what.

S

sash

No. But it gives you a greater chance of being a good driver than those that would be given the right to drive without ever having sat in a car before wouldn't it?

I can't see what's wrong with putting our own house in order?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry lads,
But I think part of the answer lies in stricter bailiffing and more support for them through clubs and the E.A. and police.
They all know the rules of the countryside, including fish welfare.

S

sash

And how exactly would you fund all the extra baliffs required Baz? And how would you compensate the police for spending time on activities considered less nescassary?

T

Tim Richardson 2

Well maybe the results from the fish welfare exam can be added to the cat and dog keepers register.The how to change a light bulb and plug socket replacement test and the average car owners exam, allowing him to fill up without the aid of a mechanic can all be lumped together and put on our biometric all singing all dancing I.D cards (when we get them). More and more red tape, don't you just love it?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sash.
The police would not need to compensated. It is their duty to come out if you are under threat, and they do.
The bailiffs I am talking of are the club bailiff, which is done on a volountary basis, they know the areas to go to, they are the ears and eyes of the club, but ultimately it is up to the clubs to give their bailiffs the fullest support.

Important information can be passed on to the E.A. through a club bailiff, but it must be acted on. For instance, a club bailiff has no powers, but if an angler has no E.A. license, this information could be passed on to the E.A. and they can do the necessarys. Another bite at the cherry if you like.

T

Tim Richardson 2

Dont let the government get wind of this idea. They'd make an absolute fortune out of it.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's taking them long enough then Tim. It was happening in the days of the N.R.A.

W

Wolfman Woody

Tell you what then Jeff, Sash and Baz.

There is no exam at the moment, but seeing as how you're all so so concerned about youngsters decimatign our fish stock through bad practices hwy don't you all become fully qualified NFA coaches?

Go out then and teach them the right ways - no charge to the kids of course. You do it all, including paying for the course, out of the goodness of your own heart and your care for the environment.

Simple enough solution until times change.

And Jeff, if you want to go down the German route - start teaching the kids how to kill all the fish they catch. The Germans do.

J

John Lock

What a terrible idea. Such a test would become law. Those who broke it would get prosecuted. Those who fished without having passed the test would get done. Those who had passed the test would be at the mercy of any interfering so and so (antis) who could report you for (for instance) not handling a fish correctly (even if it wasn't true) and, since you'd passed the test, you'd have no come back.
Such a test would cost money and, as has already been mentioned lots of people (kids, unemployed, retired) wouldn't, or couldn't, take the test. Not only that but people (non-anglers) who weren't short of money and were interested in taking up angling would be put off by the test. Our 4 million (or is it 10 million these days) anglers would shrink to less than a million I suspect - that alone would cause huge losses in jobs and income throughout the angling industry and subsidiary support industries.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I thought the NFA coaches did get paid Jeff. It's only daft beggars like club bailiffs who do lots of work for the clubs that do it for free.

Somewhere along the line, and somehow, clubs have got to get their act together in protecting their fisherries. Because nobody will do it for them, such as the E.A. or police. But they can and will help if asked. Primarily, it is up to the club in question to pull their fingers out, and stop burying their heads in the sand.

S

sash

"The police would not need to compensated. It is their duty to come out if you are under threat, and they do" - eerrr, yeah, but we're talking about the bad handling of fish and the disrespect of our environment Baz not some gun totin' crim' on the rampage.

Care to expand Jason?

"And Jeff, if you want to go down the German route - start teaching the kids how to kill all the fish they catch. The Germans do." - No, they don't Jeff. They're supposed to but most don't. PS Who ever mentioned youngsters decimating our fish stocks? It's the adults that are usually to blame.

"Go out then and teach them the right ways - no charge to the kids of course. You do it all, including paying for the course, out of the goodness of your own heart and your care for the environment." - I do my bit Jeff, I just don't feel the need to ever shout about it.

Simple enough solution until times change.

And what's wrong with a cat and dog owners register Tim? Stops at least some of the ****ers abusing animals doesn't it?

John,
It's also law to carry a rod license but most don't. And I wonder what percentage of those 4 million you'd actually enjoy sharing your club water with?