Worst Ever Loss?

Blunderer

Reaction score
What was your most gut-wrenching, painful fish loss? Perhaps the fish of your dreams at the edge of your net?

I remember a few.

Aged 12, in Helensburgh, Scotland. I used to stay at my cousin's house and fish every day off the pier for mackerel. Day after day a huge mullet used to drift around the pier and be assaulted with around 40 spinners on its head. It heardly even used to spook, just slowly drift away without paying the remotest attention to these spinners. It was uncatchable.
One holiday, I had lost my only spinner. I tied on a huge hook and was messing about. The Mullett came in to the usual cacophany of gasps, cries and general awe. For some reason I put a couple of swan shot on and a huge piece of crust from my chicken butty. I chucked it out and before I knew it the line tigtened. I struck and saw this thing panic. "I'VE GOT IT!!!!!!!!" I cried and all the local kids ran to my side. It kicked around for ten minutes then, invariably, just as one kid climbed down a ladder to try to land it, it just fell off. I nearly chewed the butt of my rod.

M

Malcolm Bason

I lost some weight once - and yes I still have nighmares about it!

F

Frothey

not me personally, but Graham once thought he'd lost his wallet.....

Ian M

Reaction score
Aged 11, fishing a match on the Thames, on a grey rather slow day, picking up the odd small stuff...

Hooked into something really big, played it for 15 mins or so, never even saw it surface, then SNAP! Deffo matchwinner, cause naff all after, went home cold, wet and empty handed! Never forgotten it!

Lord Paul

Reaction score
I remember fishing in my Dad's firms's club's annual match on the Trent when i was About 12. I'd fished it the previous 2 years and only managed 1 fish each time, this year about an hour in and I'd got 5(only small 'uns) but in my young mind I could imagine going on to win with a sack full. My Dad came down to see how thing were going, I proudly told him of my catch whilst either side of me were blanking and lifted my keep net to show him. To my horror there was a hole in it and no fish - I was gutted but it taught me to check my gear in future and also keep it of the shed floor so the mice didn't get it!!

T

The Monk

My lad again lost a big fidsh in France, we were carp fishing in the Loire Valley, we had already taken a load of fish over a two week period, the lads largest was a 38.08. At 3am one morning however he hooked into a really large fish at about 20 yards out, we took turns at playing it and lost it at 5.30 am, didnt see it once, probably a big cat?, we couldnt even get it off the bottom, after a 2.5 hour fight with a fish, you know you`ve hooked something big, we were using 3.0lb test rods and 18lb line. We both broke down in tears afterwards

J

jason fisher

lost a pike last year5 that i estimated at high 20's, this was the best thames pike i'd ever had, still never had a thames 20.

W

Wolfman Woody

Dropped a bream of about 3lbs once at a Rudyard Lake open. Had I landed it I'd have beaten Ivan Marks in the section. Wahooo!

Also dropped a skate once. Got it halfway to the boat when it turned and broke the line, took of with the 55lb trace wire. I was only on 20 lb rod and line, it could have been a British 20lb IGFA record and I'll never know.

Jeff

Reaction score
Couple of years back. Lovely big Pike spat the hooks at the net, would have been late teens early 20s and would have done my PB.

Have not had the heart to fish that swim since. I know it's stupid as I could hook it again but....

mark knowles

Reaction score
Lost a huge Zander from Well Creek, about 13lb, this was back in the post cull days when an eight pounder was a big'un. I set the hooks and it came straight to the top, two big eyes and a dorsal fin along way behind, every thing seemed to happen in slow motion and I knew long long before the hooks came out I was going to loose it

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I lost a good fish out of the Mersey a couple of years ago. I had been pulling roach out pretty regular when I began to think if there was anything bigger about. At that moment my tip bent over and stayed over, as I struck, my dog put it's neck over my striking arm and stopped any further progress. I would have loved to know what it was because my rod went solid.

S

Steve King

I lost a very powerful fish on the Kennet at Woolhampton back in 87. I have never known anything to move so fast and put such a bend in a rod before or since. It took so much line that I had to run down the bank after it. I tried to stop the fish reaching the bend and made a last ditch stand by clamping down on the spool. There was a loud crack and yards of line fluttered down in front of me. I never got a glimpse of the fish, but I suspect that it could have been a carp as there are a few around that stretch, on the other hand it could have been a barbel... I'll never know.

njb51

Reaction score
Fishing one day at Old Berry Hill in the summer just past. Fishing tight to some bushes on peg 1 of the Main Lake. Couple of hours went by when my rod went. Struck it and it felt big. This fish darted straight into the bushes tho and snagged me up, had to pull for a break as it wasn't moving. Set up again and cast back out, another hour went and hooked into another biggun! Same thing happended!(bastard!) Anyway, set up again and cast to the same place, third time lucky i thout! About 2 hours went by and my reel was screaming again! Hooked into it and it was another biggun!! This time it darted away from the bushes into open water! I thout 'YES! I've got you now ya bugger!' SNAP!