Line diameters and strengths

W

Wolfman Woody

I just bought two different spools of braid off eBay for feeder fishing and light perch spinning.

A) Maver Genesis Sinking braid - 8lbs b/s - .10mm diameter

I paid ?5.50 (100m) including postage. Measured the diameter and it comes out at .135mm diameter or 35% over what it claims.

B) Suffix Herculine Dyneema Braid - 15lbs b/s - .14mm diameter

I paid ?15 for this (250m and over ?25 in shops). Measured the diameter and it comes out at .115mm diameter or 9% UNDER the specified diameter and thinner than the 8lb.

I'm not going to test breaking strains because providing they're both over 5lbs I'm happy and from a simple pull test, they are.

This all goes to prove my point that what we want, possibly from the ATA, is some qualified test on all lines rather than depending on manufacturers 'puff' printed on labels.

W

Wolfman Woody

Oddly enough, I posted that, then I opened the envelope with the trade magazine Tackle & Guns, which arrived this morning and within the envelope is an advertising poster for Shakespeare lines.

What they are saying in this advert is that Shakespeare lines are "EFTTA approved" (that's the European Fishing Tackle Trade Association btw.)

If this is already set up, then why don't all other manufacturers submit their lines for test?

I would dearly love to buy a line one day that I could believe in immediately without having to measure diameters myself or do the b/s tests.

Gary Blackwell

Reaction score
Hi Cheeky,

most are just crap.

I spent a long time looking at this very subject, I now get out the micrometer and measure the .mm, I get fed up of buying 12lb line, only to find out later it's really 15lb, being marketed as super strong 12lb (same .mm as 15lb).

A lot of problems came to light when Beach angler's started to take part in modern casting comp's, I remember having 3 spools mic'ed, all 15lb, 2 spools .370mm and the other .325, so on the day all I could use was the .370mm, I got over this by useing 12lb Sylcast, which broke at 15lb and was .35mm, the early Sensor suffered the same, most on the beach just excepted the 12 was 15lb and the 10 was 12 lb.

ps, I'm going back to the days when the regs specified .35mm, which was then, just excepted as being 15 lb BS (approx, VERY).

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Iget the micrometer out as well.

BTW Cheeky, I thought you said you were broke?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I have spent a great deal of my time over the years testing lines!

What you must all realise is that when it comes to breaking strains, we are dealing with polyamide lines - nylon in other words. The one thing that nylon suffers from is hydrolysis, That means when it is in contact with water, be it liquid water or humidity in the atmosphere, it will in time degrade.

Nylon also suffers from exposure to ultraviolet light.

No modern lines are perfect. They are all subject to these problems.

All I can say is that the very best lines, be they polyamide or fluorocarbon that I have used in my life have been made by DuPont, the company that invented these polymers. Many of DuPont's lines have anti-oxydents added which does help.

Dupont's top brand name is Stren.

W

Wolfman Woody

Still am broke Baz. These were bought from a little money I had trapped in Paypal from the sales of little bits of tackle.

Ron, I couldn't give a stuf what can or should be measured so long as all lines are tested using the same guidelines. Be that wet lines, wet knot strength or even dry breaking strain. So long as we can compare like with like.

Same goes for diameters, they should be truthful about them. Tested by an independant body is the best way.

F

Frothey

the back of the tackle box catalogue has a pretty good guide to stated vs actual diameters and breaking strains.