New Digital Camera

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

Having passes my Fuji Fine Pix onto my son, I have picked up a brand New Canon G6 after reading all the rave reviews in the Camera mags.

It is truly a wonedrful bit of kit, and so light in weight. And 7 megapixels to boot.

I must admit my last camera was getting too heavy to lug around, as Graham will testify when I made that epic trek down to the Ribble.

The features on this camera are fanatstic. Not tried it yet but I would suggest it's one of the best buys around for our type of photography.

What I like is the Battery power pack which is good for about 250 shots. And the swing away viewing screen for self portraiture.

The whole lot including a 512 mb memory card and carrying case for less than ?450.00

Hee Hee!!!

No more Bah Humbug

R

Ron Troversial Clay

And it comes complete with a wireless controller. Just the job for taken pictures of yourself with big fish.

Hee Hee!!

Who needs to spend a ton on a darned great heavy SLR type camera. And get back ache.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

You should have bought it in the US when you were over there ....almost 2/3rds of the price

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I've have had Nikons for most of my life as well as Olympus's Pentaxes and a Leica.

This is my first Canon.

I wish I had kept that old IIIG Leica. They are worth a fortune as collectors cameras these days.

Flogged it when I went to SA.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Ed,

One of the problems with buying Photo equipment in other countries is that the guarantee is void when you bring it to UK. Not only that, the plugs and electrical voltages are often different.

I bought my camera at Jessops. They stood by their statement that they would equal any website price. Not only that I could at least handle the camera to see if it suited me.

It did.

The mags are right, it is a truly great camera.

M

Malcolm Bason

Sounds a quality camera on. I hope you have plenty of specimens to capture on it!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

It was a Finepix 602 Zoom.

Unfortunately at over 14oz in weight and the fact that it hammered the crap out of batteries, it had to go.

This little Canon is truly wondrous. 7 Mp and 8 oz it is dead right. I can vitually put it in my pocket. The Fuji used AA rechargable batteries, and that meant keeping at least 2 sets in a gadget bag. Not only that the shutter was "slow".

This Canon is so tiny yet has a system which prevents camera shake. The full 7 megapixels gives you awesome (sorry) picture quality.

Many years ago I used to write that an angler's camera should weigh nothing and take up very little space.

This Canon is getting there. And The Monk can keep his neck hanging Nikon F5s and F100s all to himself.

W

Wolfman Woody

Now I really think you are showing off Ron.

Harrison Sulis, new pole, new box, now a camera. I think you're really trying to run it in how damned lucky you are whilst some of us are going to be having Smash soup for Xmas dinner.

J

jason fisher

i had a look at monks digital slr's when i went to see him, they were so heavy i couldn't lift them.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I had a lovely Christmas dinner today Jeff, with my son Sean and his partner, the lovely Suzanne from Perth in Australia.

They are off to South Africa on Thursday, both flying Business Class at goodness knows how much.

They will be having Christmas in Roodepoort and they have organised a confence call on the phone with me, my Dad and family on Christmas Day.

Then in January I will be off the USA, Rio and Cape Town. I might decide to go to Botswana for another fabulous trip up the Okavango for a week or two.

We live poorly in Rotherham Jeff, yet we spend richly when we get away from here.

I can afford to do all this because my tiny house costs only ?132 a month to rent, I drive a Diesel Saxo and claim a very low council tax - about ?26 a year and get full heating allowance.

And I have a bus pass....... :eek:)

Best move from High Wycombe Jeff. Come and live in Rotherham.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Oh by the way Jeff, I love the term Sean and Suzanne call the typical Pommie youngster.

"Innits"

What's an "Innit"

Quite simply it's a typical pom with tattoos, track suit bottoms, trainers, a football shirt, ear rings, cheap metal necklace and a silly little woolly hat pulled over their ears. They also walk with a stoop and have a thick gormless expression on their faces with mouths half open

Actually it's so very true.

I've never laughed so much in my life.

They are also called Chavs.

Why do the Poms make themselves so open to being taken the piss out of?

S

sash

I bought the same camera myself a couple of months or so ago Ron. Excellent bit of kit. Kit it up with an angled convertor and you don't even have to carry a tripod around, just screw it onto a rod rest, line it up and bingo.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I really had a hard think when I bought this camera.

What made my decision was:

1: Compactness. It takes up very little space.
2: Picture quality: at 7 mp this goes without saying.
3: Long Life quickly rechargable battery. It takes about 70 minutes to charge.
4: Self portraiture - dead easy.
5: JPEG and RAW formats.
6: Excellent Macro facility.
7: User friendly controls. It took me weeks to sort out the functions on my Finepix. It took me about an hour with this one.

I had a look at the Olympus 5080 but it seemed too bulky.

This is the best anglers camera yet if you ask me.

S

sash

I think it's a good camera for someone taking the step up from point and shoot types to something such as a digital SLR requiring more owner imput. With the Canon you can fully automise everything or play around with settings all day to experiment and learn.

With a decent waterproof bag it's even small enough to be carried around when drain hopping for pike where almost everything is left behind.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I had a look at the Nikon D70. No doubt a good camera but there again it was a neck strangler.

I could afford such a camera, but what for.

The days of carrying around huge gadget bags is over.

The Monk has a massive long lens that weighs about 35 lbs he carries about. Never uses it of course. I think to him it's either a phallic symbol or something to enhance his street cred!