Reel for Barbel

R

Ross Turner

Looking for a mid priced rel for barbel fishing.
Any recomendations.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Shimano Stradic 4000 GTM.

You can pick these up for much less than the RRP of ?100 plus these days. The Fightin Drag adjustment is marvellous for playing big fish.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Shimano Baitrunner 5000 size. Use the 6000 size with no problems if and when i replace them i will invest in 5000.

These are less than ?70 if you shop around.

Daniel Matley

Reaction score
Shimano Baitrunner 5000 GTE's for me every time. A good solid and reliable reel ideally suited to the job. As Bryan says, you can pick them up for less than ?70.

N

NottmDon

Very happy with the same as Daniel, Shimano reels have never let me down coarse, match, speci or pleasure fishing! The Aero GTES in 5000 are the dogs wotsits as far as my barbel fishing goes here on the Trent.

W

Wolfman Woody

It all depends on what rod you are using. No good having a 4000 on a big rod, or a 5000 or a very slim rod, they won't balance.

Either of those reels is fine, a decently priced 4000 or if you want a baitrunner the 5000 GTE-B (the new one). Or a Daiwa Capricorn (they're beautiful) or Laguna is very nice. Don't get stuck on a name, shop around.

G

Geoff Cowen

I did use a pair of the Shimano Stradic 4000 GTM but have just changed Shimano Baitrunner Aero 5000 GTE-B's. I found the gear ratio to high on the Stradics especially when using big feeders or leads. The baitrunners are perfect in every way. Don't waste your money on anything else.

Y

yoggy

Ditto,,baitrunners everytime i use the 5010"s they"re a few year old now but have never let me down.Just for conversation i bought these as a pair with spare spools off ebay for 76quid!!!,so if you"re on a budget check ebay out you can get a quality reel at a good price.

R

Ross Turner

I have a Wychwood 1.75lb barbel rod & have a Shimano Sedona 4000gte reel,Would the reel be ok for barbel fishing?.
Thanks

W

Wolfman Woody

"Shimano Sedona 4000gte reel" - Why not? I use a Super Aero 4000 and a Super Aero 4000R, the difference being the retrieve rates.

Y

yoggy

I had a sedona a few years back and used it for my barbel fishing it performed ok but swapped it for a Super Aero 3000 which i now use for my chub fishing,,

T

tommo

Ross,

Have a look at WMAC they are doing the new Shimano Exage 4000RA at ?34.99.

I've just bought a pair to replace my baitrunners/twinpowers on my Chimeras.

They are fantastic reels, very smooth 5.1.1 retrieve ratio, with fightin' drag.

In my opinion, better than my more expensive Twinpower 4000 XTR.........and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Tommo

W

Wolfman Woody

"Shimano Exage 4000RA at ?34.99."

That's a good one! I have an Exage 2500 for light feeder fishing. Funny handle, but it works.

R

Robert Woods 1

Ron,
How does a Shimano "fighting drag" work whilst playing barbel. Do you use these type rather than baitrunners.

Pikerwoods.

P

Phil Hackett 2

It's Okuma Epix40 Pro Baitfeeder for me everytime. RRP 59.99 Northwest Angling Centre are doing them for ?45.

Mechanically very smooth, robust, with a good retrieve rate. The clutch does everything it should do, no jerking or snagging when a fish lunges.
I?ve had a pair now for nearly 12 months and they?ve had some serious hammer casting and playing many barbel up to 11.5 without any problems at all.

T

tommo

Robert,

With Fightin' Drag, you get an extra option when playing fish.

The drag switch above the drag knob allows instant adjustment from loose to tight clutch settings by simply flicking the lever from right to left and vice versa.

If a fish lunges away suddenly you can lossen the drag in an instant.

I try to let the power of the rod soak up the lunges etc, and by using balanced tackle I don't have to give much line, but having fighting drag gives you a fail safe option particularly under the rod tip or around snags.

Cheeky,

The handle on the larger reel is larger and very comfy. It sits paralell with the body of the reel as opposed to perpendicular to it.

I've just loaded 200m of 10lb straight onto the spool and the line lay is superb.

W

Wolfman Woody

Handle on the 2500 is also comfortable and winding in etc. it does work well, no complaints there.

Just that it's not counterbalanced, which it could be. Daiwa have fitted a simlar handle to their Capricorn. Again, it's comfortable and a joy to use, but folding it is a bit of a pain. My design (should anyone want it, hint-hint, royalties etc.) is easy to fold over and can be counterbalanced and any knob that is currently fitted can also be used.