calverton fish farm closure

S

swordsy

The closure of the calverton and leyland fish farms due to the tench rhabdovirus is a terrible blow to the restocking plans of British rivers! Surely this must be the death nell of any plans to stock british waters with unwanted Austrailian carp!

B

Bill Cox

Lets hope temporary means temporary then swordsy. Speaking as someone who has been promised help with stocking a new lake from the EA i'm probably as worried as anyone. But i am glad that they have taken this action if there is any doubt at all.

W

Wolfman Woody

Looks like 2006 before it's reopened.

Keith Arthur is arguing for a 6 months quarantine order before any fish are transferred. I don't know how it would work and it would surely cause problems (eg; it then being a bad time of year to move fish...), but inprinciple it sounds good. Especially with the said Ozzie fish, if they ever do come over.

S

swordsy

what sickens me the most is the thought of losing all the brood fish and the hundreds of thousands of young fish which are free from infection but will have to be sacrificed for the greater good. my gut feeling is its too late already to contain the outbreak as fish will have been stocked into fisheries since the onset of the disease as the telephone hotline number in A.T implies.
As for the ozzy carp, they should be turned into fertilizer or incinerated on site, they could even be turned into fish meal! anything as long as they dont come over hear.
i like keith arthur but sometimes he doesnt think before he opens his mouth, like the comment about scrapping the british fishing fleet, converting them into charter boats.keith their are around 60,000,000 people in this country, ten lagged up brummies, scousers, cocknies or manks on a three hour booze cruise are not going to meet our dietry needs for fish, are they?so if keith says six months isay six years!

C

Chris Bishop

Bill speak to your nearest fishery officer. They have unwanted fish become available from time which are netted out of waters for various reasons.

B

Bill Cox

Yes i'm sure they will help us out Chris, they helped with some of the funding for the lake and have promised us help with stocking. I have changed my mind over the last 18 months or so about the EA. I thought they were only interested in the Salmon and trout fishing rivers but they have been really helpful in a lot of ways.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

on the upside there won't be many Barbel going into stillwaters for a while...