lost fish missed bites

bleak

Reaction score
I have been losing hooked fish using hair rigged boillys,so i shortened the hair and missed every bite! was this the wrong thing to do with barbel?

The Sogster

Reaction score
mmm.
I would say that if you are hooking the fish, then losing them. The problem wasn't the hair but rather more to do with the hook or the way you play your fish.
Were the hooks barbed/ barbless, did they pull out, straighten or fall out?
Are you a person that keeps the rod tip as high as possible at all times when playing a fish or do you often lower the rod?

Reaction score
mmm.
I would say that if you are hooking the fish, then losing them. The problem wasn't the hair but rather more to do with the hook or the way you play your fish.
Were the hooks barbed/ barbless, did they pull out, straighten or fall out?
Are you a person that keeps the rod tip as high as possible at all times when playing a fish or do you often lower the rod?

Without knowing more details I reckon Sogster may have some important points.

A lot of anglers I know who lose barbel regularly use the rod like a sword in The Three Muskateers.

Keep the rod low to the water, use a forgiving rod that will absorb lunges at close range, use a really sharp hook and check the point between each cast, and use an adequate hook-link to deal with size of fish and snags.

As for the length of hair, if the fish are confident this is rarely a problem but for most of my summer daytime fishing I use small hookbaits (8mm pellet, size 14 korum SS3) and fish the bait 5mm from the bend.

More info would make comments more specific.

Hope that helps :)

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Yes, because missing a barbel bite is rather hard to do at this time of the year - no matter how short the hair.

Reaction score
Totally agree Geoff,

I only shorten the hair if I feel I'm missing bonus chub

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:51 ----------

Just noticed, Bleak's in France...

Not sure what nuisance bait-grabbing crustaceans may be present...

Mittens, signals? All possible I suppose, but I have no experience on French rivers....

If it is a rig/rod mechanics issue though, I'd suspect over-exuberent playing, dull hooks or cr*p hooklengths.

This can easily be cured by..

Keeping the rod low.

Using strong forged hooks and checking the point each cast Korum SS3 or ESP D7 are good.

Using any hook-length from Kryston. If I was Jacko, I'd cheerfully hang my baby from any hotel balcony using any of their products :j

David Marrs

Reaction score
If I was Jacko, I'd cheerfully hang my baby from any hotel balcony using any of their products :j

The worlds press were fairly relieved though ****y, merely hanging the baby from the hotel balcony was a whole bunch better than when he used to simply toss them off...... :j:j:j

(I'll get me coat mate)

quickcedo

Reaction score
As there is no full story here I would agree it's hard to answer with any degree of accuracy. One thing that has not been mentioned is hooklink length, too short can on occasion result in the bait and hook being pulled from the fishes mouth before it has had chance to enter the mouth properly. Just a thought.

richiekelly

Reaction score
As there is no full story here I would agree it's hard to answer with any degree of accuracy. One thing that has not been mentioned is hooklink length, too short can on occasion result in the bait and hook being pulled from the fishes mouth before it has had chance to enter the mouth properly. Just a thought.

i agree with what mark says i cant see any point in using short hooklengths for barbel you have to give them the time to eat the bait, have you tried using smaller baits?

bleak

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all your comments, hooklength was approx 500mm, hooks are all top quality carp hooks, the fish i played steadily as i was stood up to my tits in the river!
That day I was using beaked barbed hooks as I have found that a beaked hook is less likely to blunten on the river bed. Considering this I went back to the river and used straight point hook, this made a great difference helping me to catch my new P.B

The Sogster

Reaction score
Glad you seem to have found the problem. Time will tell I suppose if you keep using the same straight point hooks.
Were the hooks the equivalent size, and by the same manufacturer?