Tips for Fishing With Braid

Ben Belton

Reaction score
Hi, I've just bought 300 yards of 20lb/bs spiderwire. Having never used braid as mainline before i'm wondering if there's anything I should know; for instance, what sort of knots are most effective, and do I need to use some sort of mono leader??
Any advice appreciated

alan

Reaction score
for what sort of fishing?
i found doubling the knots works well, instead of 5 turns use 10 etc, the knot is still smaller then mono.

Gary Blackwell

Reaction score
Hi Ben,
Take care, there is so little give/stretch with braid.
I did try braid for Carping, I ended up useing a 30ft mono leader, to put a bit of give back, also take care if power casting, braid is so fine, it can draw blood, easy!!.

Braid should last many years, just reverse it after a couple of seasons ( unless you have damaged it, in snags etc).

I now only use braid on my marker/finder rod, it is fantastic, you feel everything !!

Knots. I have found the 5 turn grinner to be fine, I only go through the swivel or hook eye once, I did some basic tests with the spring balance and saw no difference, some people use 2 loops.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas to one and all

GB....

C

Chris Bishop

Stick 10yds of strong mono on the spool first to stop it slipping.

Wind it on really tight through a damp tea towel.

Take care not to let any slack onto the spool as this is one of the causes of those annoying tangles.

Go through the eye twice when you knot it.