Team Barbel on Tour

N

NottmDon

Cracking good read, having had some Trent Carrier bags I know what the author is on about lol! Cant wait for part two. Liked the rod pod set up, not being a carp angler perhaps someone will write an article on the best rod pods, alarms and buzz bars they think are suitable for barbus barbus? Generaly dont use them when barbel fishing but can certainly see they could be useful in the right peg/situation. Such a lot to choose from and variants of price which I imagine is also a factor in the quality of the end product. All I can say is bring on part two as I cant wait!

M

matt thomas

i fish the trent for barbel with a similar set up,just use two buzzer bars on dinsmores power spike banksticks ,the front one being the longest you can buy and the back one about two foot long with rubber butt grips to hold your rods in ,works for me and if you use baitrunners just keep them tight so they just give line before your rods end up in the drink.the power spike banksticks are the only ones i have found you can stick into some trent pegs as anyone who fishes it for barbel will know the ground is too rocky
hope that is of some use

R

Ross Turner

I agree with NottmDon,About the rod pod set up it looks good,What make is it?.

A

Adrian Kiddell 2

The pod is made by JRC with standard bank stick thread size for the legs, this allows extentable banksticks to be used for the frontlegs. In some swims this then makes the spread of the front of the pod too wide so i use angulaters on the front legs to narrow the footprint of the pod. for added safety i then secure the pod with either long tent pegs or a guy rope, over the top you may think but once secure it is rock solid. I have seen insecure setups collapse and know of lost rods not what you want when dozing during an overnight session.

Rubber butt grips secure the back end and Delkims supply the noisy bit, with bait runners set not too tight. If using alarms make sure the line passes over the sensor at ninety degrees or sensitivity will be lost

With this set it is possible to alter the angle of the rods to suit conditions. But why o why do some anglers point thier rods at the sky, it makes me chuckle when i see anglers cranking thier necks to see thier rod tops.

N

NottmDon

lol u been watching me fish Adrian? I fish beach caster style with no delkims or rod pods, blame it on my match fishing days! Thats why I asked about the rod pods as it seems more economical on the old neck muscles! Thanks for the info Matt and Adrian.

S

swordsy

HEY, TEAM BARBEL! LOVE THE RAT CONTEST! MY BEST IS SIX IN A SESSION HOW DOES THAT RATE?

NOTTMDON, I USE THE CHEAP FOX MICRONS ON LONG STORM POLE TYPE BANK STICKS. CHEAP BUT EFFECTIVE AND THEY DO AWAY WITH THE NECK ACHE!

N

NottmDon

I'm going to be looking at these rod pods seriously in the new year. I still have the matchmens mentality( prob not the right word) I guess of liking to see the rod go around or drop back and of course the idea of rods in the air is to keep line off the water and therfore use less weight to hold bottom etc. Well thats the way I learned to fish but that doesn't mean I'll not take on new ideas that make fishing more enjoyable. Not sure about optonics/alarms really but I suppose they go hand in hand with the pods dont they? I'm not a dinosaur by the way lol but my neck is telling me to try something different now!

S

swordsy

nottmdon dont apologise for the matchmans mentality it will catch you fish when all else is failing, the optonics are really handy when you have two rods on the go.

A

Adrian Kiddell 2

The matchmans mentality is spot on, if he was feeder fishing he would fish as lighter feeder as possible then feed a bow of line into the flow and believe it or not the more line out the easier the feeder holds.
The thrill of the rod wacking over is good the thrill of a screaming alarm is as good if not better try it you who disbelieve, be careful thou the Barbel police are out there 2 rods, alarms TABOO!
6 rats 1 session is gingers best.

N

NottmDon

"Barbel Police" lmao betta be careful then as I always fish two rods when fishing for Barbel! Though I admit I have the odd nightmare about getting a take on both of them at the same time (I should be so lucky!). Thanks for the info on the alarms etc deffo have a look into it. I'll leave the rat catching to the experts though thanks all the same lol!!

N

NottmDon

Sorted a pod, swingers and alarms delivery in the new year. Only thing I'm not sure about are the "angulaters". I can understand the need for them so forgive my ignorance If I ask but, are they home made or readily available? just in case I might need them at some time in the future. Cheers.

A

Adrian Kiddell 2

The angulaters are some that I am field testing for a company Called Carp Alley they are now available other companies also sell them. Try Leon (mail order manager) at Angling Direct O1603 400757.
Mention my name and he will sort for you less than ?10 a pair i think inc p&p

N

NottmDon

Thanks Adrian for all the advice so freely given. If your ever in Notts and fancy a pint let me know. Cheers again.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Allo, Allo, Allo,
what's going on here then? Letsby Avenue.
Bite alarms, baitrunners, and nodding off on the bank, while in pusuit of barbel?
Do you know that is not ethical sir?

A

Adrian Kiddell 2

Told you boys them Barbel police Would be about, "Well officer honestly we woz fishing for carp honest gov"

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I must warn you sir, that anything you say will be taken down and will be used against you at a later date.

N

NottmDon

Lol weve found the level now havent we? "pants" I'd have said Jordans Bra messen though that might do a little too much damage if used against one! I am however willing to sacrifice myself in the name of science rofl!