Hay on Wye fishing

Joe Barlow

Reaction score
Hi,
We are spending this coming weekend fishing Llangorse lake and then we are hoping to go onto somewhere on the Wye. I have done a bit of research and all the sites are telling me that in order to fish Hay on Wye you must get a ticket from Golesworthy's Shop (near the clock tower). Anyone that has fished there? how much water does this ticket give you as we will be lure fishing from our kayaks and would like a good amount of water to fish? any general tips and advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Joe

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Not sure that shop still exists but if you want some info try giving Woody (the fount of all that is Wye) a ring on 01432 344644. I do know that Warrington AA (hate 'em for it) bought up a section at Hay but they have a no day ticket policy so that is out. I havn't fished it for quite a few years and it is likely things have changed so I won't offer any suggestions. Used to be a great place for chub though.

Bredwardine isn't all that far away and the fishing is pretty good there so you might want to give this place a try, 4 miles of river should give you enough to play with.

Joe Barlow

Reaction score
Thanks for the link but unfortunately you are only allowed to fish all 4 miles if you are staying at the hotel. Does anyone know what the rules regarding fishing from a boat/kayak on the wye are? do you need a club permit/ day ticket to fish the water from the kayak?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Thanks for the link but unfortunately you are only allowed to fish all 4 miles if you are staying at the hotel

I don't know where you got that from because if you read it properly it says "Our season opens on the 16th June and runs until 14th March. We are open to anyone wishing to fish on a daily or weekly basis"

It can't be any plainer than that can it and it is a very well known day ticket water and you can fish anywhere on that 4 miles stretch.

Seeing as you are hoping to fish from a kayak I wish I hadn't bothered anyway.

Last edited:

Joe Barlow

Reaction score
I don't know where you got that from because if you read it properly it says "Our season opens on the 16th June and runs until 14th March. We are open to anyone wishing to fish on a daily or weekly basis"

It can't be any plainer than that can it and it is a very well known day ticket water and you can fish anywhere on that 4 miles stretch.

Seeing as you are hoping to fish from a kayak I wish I hadn't bothered anyway.

I got it from calling up the fishery and I was told that with a day ticket or week ticket you can only fish a 1 mile stretch and in order to fish the full 4miles you must be staying in the hotel.

The bad one

Reaction score
Not sure that shop still exists but if you want some info try giving Woody (the fount of all that is Wye) a ring on 01432 344644. I do know that Warrington AA (hate 'em for it) bought up a section at Hay but they have a no day ticket policy so that is out. I havn't fished it for quite a few years and it is likely things have changed so I won't offer any suggestions. Used to be a great place for chub though.

Bredwardine isn't all that far away and the fishing is pretty good there so you might want to give this place a try, 4 miles of river should give you enough to play with.

For the record the owner of the now WAA length approached WAA as he wanted to sell it. WAA did not approaching him!

And like any club or individual would do if they had the money, they bought it to add to their portfolio of waters for their members.

Given that WAA is an open club and you may have liked fishing the length, why haven't you, like many locals have done, joined the club to gain access to it?
Always helpful to be in possession of the true facts before you start to run any club down!

jcp01

Reaction score
image-upload-8-756796.jpg

Taken last year on the town stretch, the info must be up to date, I'd think.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Well done Rufus thats new to me but like I said I havn't fished it for a number of years, always good to be able to pass on snippets of info like that.

Phil, I have said it before as you well know I don't like clubs that buy up waters and deny access to anglers who just want a days fishing because they happen to be in the area or on holiday. I believe in sharing fishing and information with other anglers something you don't like because you have told me so on more than one occasion.

As to why I havn't fished Hay for a while, thats simple, because I havn't wanted to because I can get better fishing in Hereford which is much nearer and Hereford AA do allow day tickets to casual anglers for which many an angler on this site alone has been grateful for. I am actually a member of Hereford AA even though it might be cheaper to buy the odd day ticket but thats my choice and saves me having to wait for Woody to open in order to purchase a day ticket.

Dave Burr

Reaction score
Fishing from Kayaks

No, you may not fish from a kayak unless you are either, on a tidal section of river or you have a club ticket for the water that you are on.

Anybody found fishing from canoes and kayaks on the Wye gets a pretty poor reception and on some of the salmon beats there are some very eager bailiffs.

Joe Barlow

Reaction score
image-upload-8-756796.jpg

Taken last year on the town stretch, the info must be up to date, I'd think.

Thanks for all the information every one. Rufus- how much water does a ticket on that stretch allow you to fish.

Also seeing as kayak fishing on there is a no go by the sounds of things, where are there other long stretches or river available as we will be lure fishing so we cover a lot of water.

Graham- How and where do we go about purchasing a day ticket for Hereford? and how much water does that allow you to fish?
Thanks and tight lines
Joe

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The number to contact Woody's shop at Hereford is the one I gave in my first reply, he will direct you to his shop and the day ticket lets you fish almost all of the Hereford AA water apart from one of the lakes which I have never seen.

The bad one

Reaction score
Graham you may not like it (clubs buying fishing right up) and not issuing DTs, but those clubs have learnt through bitter experience of lost leased water through mindless idiots on a DT, why!
So as owners and in a 'free market' they chose not to issue them, so they have greater control of miscreants.

The threat of expulsion and loss of some one's favourite fishing place is a great controller for compliance :D