Can anyone help to explain this?

Bluenose

Reaction score
Why newer members aren't posting despite the fact that monthly site 'hits' are on the rise and FM membership also is on the up?

The point was made by Steve that the forum has lost its buzz and yes we know some 'current' members don't post any more but why aren't the new members joining in and posting?

Jethro has asked for forum layout ideas but what about the nature and content of the fishing threads themselves?

Do too many threads which start off with a simple angling question end up being an inappropriate 'chat' between a few mates hence the site may appear to be too 'cliquey'?

Is it time for us to start moderating a little more to keep fishing threads a little more on track and perhaps more closely related to the original post (bait box excepted)?

This isn't about recriminations or who is/was responsible for saying what, the point has been raised about the forum losing it's buzz, so what now? How else can we address this other than by forum layout?

Bluenose

Reaction score
I'm not suggesting we force anyone Ed. I'm asking why new members may not want to post.

Reaction score
The Angling Times, Mail, etc get umpteen thousands of readers per week.

How many of them write a letter or send in a picture?

Some people just want to read stuff, while others wish to write stuff too.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
You could try asking the New members why they're not posting, but seeing as they're not posting then i don't expect you'll get a reply :D

I agree with Mr Corker (not often mind) but on this occassion i do.

Some just like to read, they don't like to ask as they don't want to expose themself's as a beginner or a learner or perhaps just a Twit. I doesn't bother as i often like to expose myself, i am all that and more but i am brasen enough to say ......... ah F*ck em, i'm asking anyway.

I would like to see more Moderation at the beginning of Threads with serious fishing related headings, but after a while and when the question has been extensively covered then free reign should be ok to within the rules of FishingMagic of course.
Talking of more moderation can i also be beaten on accassion with rough edged paddles and can the Topless Receptionist at the Forum Foyet please stop winking at me as the Wife says she's gonna tan her jaw if she does it again ............. :p

The New Members don't post on here because they are Big Cry Baby Wooses who are frightened by the Big Bad Forum Bullies who say things like "Gee us yer boilies ya scroat" or i'll sink yer Float ............. :D

Ok, i'm Mad but, you get my point, and if you don't then that's tough because even i don't understand what the fick i am going on about.

If i promise to wear clothes when i am online do you think that would encourage more members to post <Is Members the correct word to use when naked> anyway, over to the New Members that don't Post .................. Why Not, Are You All Shy ??

There is one other thing i would like to Address, why is this in General Fishing when it has nothing really to do with Fishing and is actually about why New Menbers don't post on to the Forums .................. Just an observation and in no way a criticism.

Last edited:

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
It does take a bit of nerve to post on a forum for the first time.

I didn't know what response I'd get on my first attempt and that aticipation still exists on the odd occasion I have joined forums elsewhere.

Some people, like Ed and Matt suggest, just aren't interested in communicating with a bunch of half-cut strangers who have nothing better to do with their time.

:w

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would like to see more Moderation at the beginning of Threads with serious fishing related headings, but after a while and when the question has been extensively covered then free reign should be ok to within the rules of FishingMagic of course.

The problem with that will be the duality of moderation within the same thread.

Personally I think that the 'banter' on even serious threads is all part and parcel of the 'buzz' that some think is/has been missing . . . ?

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Peter,

It is not about what we as Forum Regulars think about it, it is what the New Members think about it.

We are used to the Banter and the Bullsh*t, but to them it must feel like that they are being left out in the Cold unless they are that way inclined to want to just jump in.

Bluenose

Reaction score
There is one other thing i would like to Address, why is this in General Fishing when it has nothing really to do with Fishing and is actually about why New Menbers don't post on to the Forums .................. Just an observation and in no way a criticism.

My post was related specifically to fishing threads mate so I felt the general section is where it belonged.

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score

Personally I think that the 'banter' on even serious threads is all part and parcel of the 'buzz' that some think is/has been missing . . . ?

I agree with that Peter ---- We've seen the problems more moderation has caused in the past, hence some of the 'present' members not posting

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

At the risk of sounding mercenary - and this is a suggestion I've put to the Editors and mods before - prizes

Prize for the best thread of the week and/or month - judged by the FM readers and/or Admin team/editors/mods

Prize for article of the week and/or month - judged by the FM readers and/or Admin team/editors/mods

We are an angling site yet the only regular competition is for photos - how many photo websites do you think give a prize for "Fish of the month"? :confused:

If you want more fishing content - then encourage people with a prize for fishing related contributions and I know many of the photos are of fish or water but the subject of each month's photo competition is not always fish related.

Let's have a few caption competitions - that get those who lurk to post - BUT please, please, please have a rule that if your entry is your first post or if you join FM AFTER the competition is announced then you will not be allowed to enter and if you do you wont win - let's not have these "Members" who join 2 days after a competition has been announced make 1 post and then are never heard of again winning - make it prizes for existing members, not some Johnny come lately who wins a carp rod that will be on Ebay as soon as he gets it.:mad:

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding mercenary - and this is a suggestion I've put to the Editors and mods before - prizes

Prize for the best thread of the week and/or month - judged by the FM readers and/or Admin team/editors/mods

Prize for article of the week and/or month - judged by the FM readers and/or Admin team/editors/mods

We are an angling site yet the only regular competition is for photos - how many photo websites do you think give a prize for "Fish of the month"? :confused:

If you want more fishing content - then encourage people with a prize for fishing related contributions and I know many of the photos are of fish or water but the subject of each month's photo competition is not always fish related.

Let's have a few caption competitions - that get those who lurk to post - BUT please, please, please have a rule that if your entry is your first post or if you join FM AFTER the competition is announced then you will not be allowed to enter and if you do you wont win - let's not have these "Members" who join 2 days after a competition has been announced make 1 post and then are never heard of again winning - make it prizes for existing members, not some Johnny come lately who wins a carp rod that will be on Ebay as soon as he gets it.:mad:

For prizes for competitions etc. you have to get someone to sponsor the said competition..
Otherwise where do the prizes come from ..... This is a free website -- there is no income other than what little advertising there is (we keep being told there is hardly any advertising income) so who pays for the prizes ????

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
For prizes for competitions etc. you have to get someone to sponsor the said competition..
Otherwise where do the prizes come from ..... This is a free website -- there is no income other than what little advertising there is (we keep being told there is hardly any advertising income) so who pays for the prizes ????

Someone puts up the photo comp prize

It doesn't have to be a brand new rod - fishing club gives free day pass and get it's name on FM,

Tackle shop like BOS or Climax or any of the big shops - a few dcent floats, spools of line, lansing net for £10, couple of lures £10, small holdall £15 - they can write it off against tax and it also avdertising - the monthly mags always give stuff away so the manufactueres must think it's worth it.

Dynamite baits give a few tins hemp/packets of pellets 1 month of a new product and how many of us will now remember that prodcut if we see it on FM for a month for example

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score

I agree with you regarding the banter Peter, I can't get my head round the fact some people actually send P.M's complaining that a thread has gone off topic or jokes beingg made? what's that all about. Some people have no life and the threads must be exceptionally important to them, how hard is it to quote and post a point pertinent to the original question?.

Don't these narrow minded, self opinionated holier than thou........er ........ gentlemen not realise in life friends can have more than one conversation in the same airspace (cyberspace) and still have the original point addressed? Christ, what must it be like having a night out in their company. Boring auld farts.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Maybe bait companies and tackle shops and manufacturers don't want to spend £100's putting an advert on FM but ask if they want to give away a prize to the value of say £10 a month for a year - cost £120 for each month seeing "Dynamite baits" competition for best article of the month for a year and they might just go for it.

Has anyone from the official FM team approached any of the major shops, manufacturers about such an idea? If not, why not?
you never know it may even encourage a few to place an advert on Fm

r1paul

Reaction score
Do too many threads which start off with a simple angling question end up being an inappropriate 'chat' between a few mates hence the site may appear to be too 'cliquey'?

Is it time for us to start moderating a little more to keep fishing threads a little more on track and perhaps more closely related to the original post (bait box excepted)?
Sorry Ed , too much like censorship to me .