I know it's a stupid question......but

nigel charge

Reaction score
whats the right way to wear neoprene socks, got some for xmas and tried them yesterday, I put them on instead of normal socks thinking that the heat from my feet would keep inside the sock, thus resulting in warm feet. o way, my feet were like blocks of ice, surprised i've got any toes left.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

You must have got a broken pair ........

M

Malcolm Bason

I thought neoprene socks were just waterproof, not insulating??

I don't know mind, its just a thought!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Assuming they're the same sort of neoprene as wet-suits, which is a closed-cell foam, then they jolly well ought to insulate! But if you can get them onto your bare feet without lashings of talc and tyre levers, they're probably a bit loose. Try wearing a pair of light cotton socks under them to wick moisture away from between your foot and the neoprene, and to make them easier to put on. If they still go on with no struggle at all, they ARE too loose, and every movement of your feet will pump warm air out of them at the expense of your feet!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

fill them with hot water ...and take a flask to refill .

jp

Reaction score
If you need to wick away moisture then cotton (or any other natural fibre) is almost the worst thing to use. It's true that a few years ago cotton was thought to be the best for this sort of job but the technology has moved on.

Buy some Bridgedale Coolmax Liner socks, from Cotswold Outdoor shops if you can't find them anywhere else. I don't know if it will solve the problem with the neoprene socks but they are definitely as good as it gets for wicking away moisture.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
As my last diving trip was about 1987, I plead obsolescence! Thanks for the updated info, JP.
Anyone know, while we're considering feet, how to get the best out of Gore-tex bootees?
I've been given a pair of ex army ones, and they don't come with a manual!

W

Wolfman Woody

Do you mean - walking boots with a Gore-Tex lining?

If so. Keep them clean - wash them occasionally - treat them with a special conditioning cream if they're leather - if they're buckskin (or whatever they call it) there's special waterproof sprays you can buy. Look at this or this and scroll down to the footwear products.

I use Grangers Leather Conditioner, btw.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
No, these were just plain, unlined Goretex, like baggy calf-length socks. Bro said " Have these, you can paddle round in mud and puddles in them and your feet stay bone-dry," but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to wear a boot or sandal over them to protect them from sharps, or to wear socks under them.

W

Wolfman Woody

Doh!

I would have thought so. They'll be just like a loose liner then.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Used these for fell walking for years. they come in 2 sizes standard boot and calf length. you were them over the top of you socks. Thet allow youto walk through bogs or shallow stream and keeps your feet dry from the water that penatrates the boots on long walkes.