Rod Action and Suitability

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Can anyone tell me how i can tell what sort of action a Rod has and the Type of Fishing the Rod would suit and why ??

Float Rods ............
Feeder Rods ..........
Avon Rods ..........
Barbel Rods ..........
Carp Rods ...........

Do the Same action in all the Rod Ranges mentioned above give the same results, or do they differ in Length, Thickness, Price etc etc

slime monster

Reaction score
only here to help mate

---------- Post added at 18:38 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

Steaph here are three rod actions

tip ......spliced tip match rods for crisp action ....hard to find these days
tip to middle
through action

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
The question isn't really for my own benefit, it's for everyone who doesn't know or isn't quite sure what sort of Rod Action would suit the Venues or Fishing they generally use.

It's a Generic Question, that i am hoping will perhaps involve others with the knowledge and experience who will be able to pass on their expertise to those that don't have that knowledge.

Maybe there is a Lurker out there or a New Member who doesn't know how to ask or is not sure where to ask it that will also benefit from the question.

See now there are 3 rod actions mentioned, but what do they mean, why would you use that rod with that action rather than say a differing type of rod with a different action, what would the advantages be and how would you apply it to that style of fishing or the Venue.

Look, see now what you have started, your a trouble maker you are slimey pants .............. :D

Last edited:

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Rods will vary from maker to maker, model to model even rod to rod and to describe each action is almost impossible. Perhaps the best place to start is how it is advertised i.e. barbel rod, feeder rod etc. whether or not it is a good or bad action the beginner or novice wouldn't know the difference anyway, that sort of knowledge only comes with experience.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Rods will vary from maker to maker, model to model even rod to rod and to describe each action is almost impossible.

Sorry Graham, but i have to disagree with this statement in parts.

Surely when a Rod Manufacturer sets out to make a 13 foot Float rod for example they will already have a set goal for that rods purpose. So when starting out production of that rod they will have a set bench mark as to how the Rod will perform, whether it be a Tippy action or a Strong stiff action or a Through Action etc etc etc
Now i agree, different manufacturers will have differing results but the main goal of that Finished Rods action must already be Set in other Rod Making Standards.

What i ema to sya is, that although one Manufacturers Rod will look and feel different from anothers, the Rods design and Purpose will be Similar, so a Carp Waggler will be set up to perform a certain way, although it will look and feel different between manufacturers.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Can anyone tell me how i can tell what sort of action a Rod has and the Type of Fishing the Rod would suit and why ??

Float Rods ............
Feeder Rods ..........
Avon Rods ..........
Barbel Rods ..........
Carp Rods ...........

Do the Same action in all the Rod Ranges mentioned above give the same results, or do they differ in Length, Thickness, Price etc etc

There isn't a real easy answer to that question. The the types of rod listed are not really defined just by thier 'action' for example:

Float fishing - If I were fishing a river trotting with an amount of line floating on the surface, a fast 'action' rod would allow better control to 'mend' the line, and pick up on the strike. If however I was float fishing on a still water at close range - a 'softer' 'through action' rod would be a better choice. In either situation, either rod will do at a push - but neither would be ideal at both tasks.

Feeder fishing - Much the same. A tiny maggot feeder on the canal would be best suited to a 'wand' style rod, where as on a large windswept stillwater at longer range then a much more powerfull and faster action rod would be required.

Its very much the same with the others listed.

For any lurkers reading, the best questions to ask are the most specific to you - more detail the better. You'll get much more in depth answers then. To answer gerneric questions such as above - you could write a book on it, which I guess is why they sometimes get less response?

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Most modern rods have a straight through action, as in they bend from tip to butt.

Ok, if that is so, then why, what purpose does this serve the user ?

---------- Post added at 12:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 ----------

For any lurkers reading, the best questions to ask are the most specific to you - more detail the better. You'll get much more in depth answers then. To answer gerneric questions such as above - you could write a book on it, which I guess is why they sometimes get less response?

See, now this is what i like about FishingMagic.

You really don't have to answer every part of the Question, you can answer a small part of it. To explain 1 rod and it's purpose and why that action suits that purpose and condition and the fish sought would have been suffice enough.

Float fishing - If I were fishing a river trotting with an amount of line floating on the surface, a fast 'action' rod would allow better control to 'mend' the line, and pick up on the strike. If however I was float fishing on a still water at close range - a 'softer' 'through action' rod would be a better choice. In either situation, either rod will do at a push - but neither would be ideal at both tasks.

See that response was perfect, it explains why and how it would be useful.

goldenboy55

Reaction score
thanks Stealph for raising this as I for one find the discussions about "action" confusing to say the least. What exactly is it about a particular type of action that makes it suitable for a specific fishing method or even a specific species of fish? Also in your original point you asked "how I can tell what sort of action a rod has" I have 5 rods, 2 I have bought and I'm pretty sure it didn't say what kind of action they had, merely one is a float rod and one is a feeder rod (with an extra top section that feels a little less robust?) the other 3 I have acquired. 1 is a huge beach-caster, and as I am about 90 miles from the sea even the heaviest weight wouldn't help (although I have read some carp anglers on big waters use them?) 1 is an 8' Daiwa spinning/boat type rod which is very springy and whippy and the final rod is an 11' 2-piece with no name or marks and I would guess it is neither a float or a feeder as it seems quite stiff. So the float rod for all my float fishing, the feeder rod for feeder and ledgering, the spinning rod for...........yes you guessed it! and the 11' I thought might be suitable if I want to try my hand at pike or zander fishing?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The fact is there is no 'standard' and most rods start off life in China as blanks which a company buys in bulk, rings and attaches a reel seat then applies their own logo. This is then sold as the latest brilliant addition to so and so's catalogue for anglers to buy.

How would a learner/novice know which is the best actioned rod or even why it has an action at all, to them it is a float rod, a carp float rod, feeder etc. Only when they become accomplished anglers will they begin to understand why one particular rod is better than another and having tried alot of different rods. Far better for the beginner to learn how to fish with a rod that is suitable for the type of fishing he is doing and he is able to afford than to worry about actions, test curves etc.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
The action of a Rod must influence, How far you want to cast, the size of Fish Targeted (hook length breaking strain), the power and where it is applied in playing fish ?

If you were buying 1 Float Rod to cover most aspects of general float fishing which Action would you opt for ?

It's no good saying, well i bought it because it was a Pretty Green Colour ...........

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If you were buying 1 Float Rod to cover most aspects of general float fishing which Action would you opt for ?

That is probably the most difficult question I've seen for a long time on FM.

But, not totally daunted, I'd have to say something like a No 2 or No 3 Carbotec 13' Float rod.

I have the No 3, and it is equally as good fishing for small Roiach and Dace as it is handling large Chub and/or Barbel.

It has a fully progressive action, is impossible to 'lock-up' and will give equal pleasure with a 4 ounce Roach as it does with a double figure Barbel. It casts like a dream, is light and responsive and is just as happy with a small waggler as it is with a loaded waggler.

The cost is almost prohibitive and you cannot get them now as, sadly, Carbotec is now defunct.
From time to time they do come up on e-bay but be prepared to go over £300 to get one.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Ok, now here we go.

You work in a Tackle Shop, in walks a Customer, the customer has a quick look around the different array of Rods on display, you can tell from looking at the customer that they aren't entirely sure what it is they are looking for. Being a good consiencious Tackle Shop Owner, you approach the Customer and ask if you can be of any Assistance.

The Customer thanks you for your Offer and says, i am relatively new to fishing and i am looking for a Float Rod.
You ask the type of waters that he fishes to which he replies Commercial Waters, you then ask the type of Fish he likes to Catch, to which he replies, anything that swims really.
You then ask how much he would like to spend, so let's say they has a budget set out around the £100.00p bracket, how would you help this customer out knowing that you had done the best possible by them.

You can't buy Carbotec Rods in that Budget and they don't actually exist as a company anymore, surely there must be a Type of Rod with the sort of Action to cover a lot of Bases, yes it might be to stiff for really small fish but not powerful enough to stop really big fish, but there must be a middle of the road type of Rod.

Sorry if this seems a little in depth but i need to know we need to know the world needs our knowledge .................. feed the forum world with our knowledge :p

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well SV,

I would would point them towards a twin tip rod with a 1.5 tc and quiver tip section.

1st, the avon top would handle smaller fish.
2nd, the avon top would also handle the bigger fish
3rd, the quiver would give the angler the chance to try something different without having to buy a second rod.

There are float rods that would cover what your asking, but not for £100

slime monster

Reaction score
Steph you don't have to pay the earth for good practical rods , I have two Zebco Rhino match rods ..Match special and the heavy special , these are anti lock action rods and guaranteed unbreakable . I paid £70 each for them.