First trip for 20 years plus!

Ian M

Reaction score
Yep, following finding this board via "Golf Magic" I am making my first fishing trip tomorrow for about 20 years or so!

Fishing was practically a religion from the age of 5 to when I was 18 or 19.

So, Keynes Country Park tomorrow it is then!

Been to a great tackle shop in Cheney Manor, Swindon today. Got the bait, all ready to go!

Blimey, what are these new Carbon rods like? bloody feathers!! Maybe I'll have to get one! Don't knock it, can't belive how inexpensive everything compared to golf! Trouble is, eveything changed! Like learning a new sport!

W

Wolfman Woody

Hope you also got a licence Ian ! ! ! ! !

Don't want to kill your dream, but if an EA bailiff catches you without one - ughughh!

That being the case I hope you have a great day, but don't be disappointed if you don't catch. It is winter, it is cold, and it sounds like a lake your going to.

Stick at it though and if you want help or advice, ask this lot through a thread.

Ian M

Reaction score
Yep got the licence from the PO...

And we caught ,,,NOTHING! Noone we spoke to even had a bite!

W

Wolfman Woody

So,. a heavy brush up on tactics is called for. Lots of things have changed in 20 years.

A mate of mine came back to fishing after just 5 years and had to replace 90% of his stuff and buy a lot more to go with it.

You said before, "can't belive how inexpensive everything compared to golf!" In golf there's only so many clubs you need, quite a lot admittedly, but in fishing it's endless. I've just had a clear out and I still have 16 rods many of which 'er indoors don't know about.

Bob Martin

Reaction score
'I still have 16 rods many of which 'er indoors don't know about.'

How do you get away with that then ? Mine would be down on me like a ton of bricks if I tried to pull a stunt like that.

Clikfire

Reaction score
So how many rods did you have before the big clearout then !!
Apart from to many of course..

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

Ian, hope your first session after 20 years didn't put you off ? The weather was far from perfect unlike today when it is spot on and I'm stuck in an office in central London :eek:(

Ian M

Reaction score
Yep... it's 10 degrees warmer today! Something must have come out for a feed.

Re the point about stuff... golfer collect loads of kit too! Although you are only allowed 14 clubs in the bag at a time, most have garages full of putter and drivers!

But ?20 odd for the rod licence and ?30 odd for a season ticket....BARGAIN! My annual golf membership is over ?800

W

Wolfman Woody

The weather might be perfect, Andy, but the river's still charging through and the colour is *****.

I too went today to try out a new Suveran feeder rod. Best I could manage to hold was midstream on the Thames. Two little dace and one of them came off before I could land it. Still, the rod's a belter and will be a good bream rod, in calmer conditions, with a nice through action.

You're right about golf being expensive and ?800 is about medium these days. Maidenhead charge around ?2000, I believe.

Ergo

Reaction score
Ian, just remember to keep your head down and knees slightly bent, give it a good follow through as you transfer your weight.

Methinks I am getting confused again. :(

So another rich golfer eh! You will be into pole fishing soon!! Then you will need to be rich!!! Anything from ?100.00 - ?4,000.00. A bit like the difference between Argus stuff and a bloody good set od Callaways really.

At least the bits at the end of the line with the hook things are ceaper than good golf balls. ;)

Ergo

Reaction score
Ian, just remember to keep your head down and knees slightly bent, give it a good follow through as you transfer your weight.

Methinks I am getting confused again. :(

So another rich golfer eh! You will be into pole fishing soon!! Then you will need to be rich!!! Anything from ?100.00 - ?4,000.00. A bit like the difference between Argus stuff and a bloody good set od Callaways really.

At least the bits at the end of the line with the hook things are cHeaper than good golf balls. ;)