party politics, does it affect your fishing?

S

swordsy

Recently I have had a couple of letters printed in the angling press on the subject of politics and angling, I make no bones about it I am as anti-politician as you can get without being called "Guy Fawkes MK II" The whole nanny state thing really gets up my nose,I havent spent the last 16 years paying tax to be told what I can do, what I cant do, what I can say and what is OR IS NOT an acceptable way to spend my spare time!

I think angling has a very bright future but I do see some very dark clouds on the horizon, DO YOU? Or am I just a paranoid basket case?

Please give your views, WHAT IS YOUR OPINION ON POLITICS AND FISHING!

J

John Lock

I think Tony Blair, and all other politicians, have learned a lesson from the continuing furore about the hunting ban. It has given them a lot of grief (self-inflicted) and hopefully, is set to give them a lot more. The problems they are experiencing from the hunting lobby are a drop in the ocean compared to what they'd get if they ever tried to ban angling. I don't think there is any danger of angling being banned in our lifetime but there is the likelihood of 'tinkering' by the politicians. Imposing codes of practice and other restrictions (on baits, methods, types of tackle and so on). I would automatically oppose any 'changes' to angling proposed by those who do not do angling and therefore do not understand angling. Also, I would never vote for any party that seemed to pose a danger to angling.

Bob Martin

Reaction score
If you think any party would impose a three-line whip to save angling you're kidding yourself. Any bill to ban angling would almost certainly be allowed a free vote and then we would be at the mercy of the likes of Tony Banks.

Only the tackle industry would offer any real opposition. Getting anglers out on the street just would not happen.

W

Wolfman Woody

"Tony Banks" - The chap who was made Minister for Chelsea FC in 1997 when Labour first won.

The good news is - he's retiring.

Mind you, I'll believe it when I sees it.

N

NottmDon

I dont trust ANY politician or political party but I do vote. As the "Boss" once said "having blind faith in your leaders will get you killed" If a politician could grab a seat in parliament on the back of a ban on angling hed rip his arm off to support it.Did any of the public get a vote on the ban of "Hunting with Hounds" was there a referendum? If there was I guess I must have missed it! Hunting with hounds going going gone..........hunting with guns...to follow...... next it will be game fishing banned.........then coarse fishing to follow and no doubt boxing and any other contact sport dont forget some school sports days have been stopped because children get damaged when they dont win!!!........ watch the news and be prepared to fight your corner ( no pun intended)!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

The main thing is NEVER to vote for the Labourites. There are still a lot of left wing pratts in the Labourite Party.

Secondly, never vote fot the Lib Dems - a bunch of chattering classes. There are more anti-country sports assoles in the Lib Dems than the Labourites.

Although they are certainly not perfect, the Tories will never touch country sports such as angling, shooting or even fox hunting.

So come the next election.

Vote Tory!!

D

Darryl Rogers 2

got to agree with ron there my own mp is graham allen labour and he as said as far as he is concerned angling is cruel and barbaric

N

NottmDon

Not as cruel barbaric and money grabbing as the average politician though Darryl! Load of back stabbing self centered hypocrites! Preserve wildlife pickle a politician!!

D

Darryl Rogers 2

they change their tune every time they they think it will swing a few votes

B

Bill Cox

anyone who seriously votes for a party on weather or not they have, may have or don't have angling in their sights needs to wake up and smell the Roses. As has been said many times on this and other sites by myself and many others angling will only be an item of interest to the government of the day(any government)when it thinks it is a vote grabber.Instead of coming on here rubbishing one party or the other why dont you lobby your mp and push home the fact that millions of votes are in the hands of committed anglers.As for Ron he wants to bring back Rhodesia ,Ian smith and tea on the lawn at 4.00pm(Barking)

R

Ron Troversial Clay

And the Tories will leave angling alone mate. Make no mistake, this is true.

And if Ian Smith was still in Charge of Zimbabwe, the population would not have AIDS, nor be starving to death.

Mugabe has destroyed that country.

N

NottmDon

Rhodesia oh yes thats zimbabwe now better leave it as it is its such an improvement! True what you say though Bill, we do need to look at the bigger picture. Im not daft enough to vote for someone just because they bleat like sheep to win a few votes. When I can find a political party I can trust I'll be a happy non floating voter.

S

swordsy

BILL YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK WITH THE MOBILISATION OF ANGLERS POWER IT ISNT ABOUT WHAT THEY SAY WE WANT, ITS ABOUT WHAT WE DEMAND!!

ZIMBABWE WILL CEASE TO EXIST ON ITS CURRENT TRACK, ROBERT MUGABI IS A RACIST MURDERER WHO HAS LED A NATION TO THE BRINK OF RUIN, THE SOONER THE MAN DROPS DEAD THE BETTER OFF THE WORLD WILL BE!

I WAS IN GOA A FEW YEARS AGO AND THE GOAN NATIONALS WERE IN FAVOUR OF THE OLD PORTUGESE CONTROL AS THE INDIAN REGIME WAS CORRUPT TO THE CORE. SOMETIMES INDEPENDANCE COMES AT A PRICE THE POPULATION NEVER EXPECTS AND POWER IS A POTENT DRUG. TO ANY NEW SOCIAL-POLITICAL SYSTEM NOT USED TO HAVING ANY REAL POWER, POWER WILL CORRUPT, ABSOLUTE POWER WILL CORRUPT ABSOLUTLY.

THE INDEPENDANCE OF THE AFRICAN NATIONS HAS HARDLY LED TO PEACE AND HAPPINESS, MAYBE TEA ON THE LAWN AT FOUR WOULD BE A PLEASANT CHANGE TO FAMINE, CIVIL WAR AND DISEASE

B

Bill Cox

Glad the core of what i said was picked up on ,the reference to ian smith and rhodisia etc, etc was a light hearted swipe at Rons habit of living in the past, not a serious comment on africa.As far as mugabi is concerned i agree entirely with you swordsy, the mans a monster.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

It would have been far better in my opinion to have sent in troops to Zimbabwe to kill Mugabe and all his minions than get involved with Iraq.

Most of the rest of Africa would have thanked us.

B

Bob Hornegold 3

Ron,

The demise in this country can be layed fairly at the hands of Thatcher as far as I'm concerned.

The do your own thing and Bu$$er everyone else, has led to a situation where this country faces the highest crime figures ever and the controllers of crime seem to be on the side of the perpetrators, not the victims.

Where there is No sence of a Moral Code, where as long as you can be seen to have the latest Tele, Car or Mobile Phone you are doing Ok.

And as a live long Labour supporter, this goverment with its left wing hard core centre will not be getting my vote.

It grieves me greatly to have to agree with Ron, but the Tories will be getting my vote at the next election.

As for fishing, I was told recently that Fishing on Public waters could disappear within 20 years if the Anti's, Health and Safety and conservationists within councils and local authorities have their way.

Bob

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I think the Tories have learned much from the Thatcher years. That sort politicking will not go down today.

There is much in the Tory Party that I do not like - Michael Howard for a start. He strikes me as being a bit smarmy.

I did like William Hague. Good speaker and a Rotherham guy to boot. I have met his mother. They are a good solid down to earth Yorkshire family.

For the sake of country sports and angling I support the Tories.

And their promise to take the fox hunting ban off the statute books.

S

swordsy

I just cannot stomach being told what to do and how to think, i will not bow to the p/c moral code of the loonie left and the metro-elite.

The death penalty needs to be reinstated fast, i will pull the lever no problem!I would love to hang Ian Huntley. That would be bloody great!

The Tony Martin law needs to be brought to book, never mind the bloody foxes they might nick the odd chicken but they dont beat your granny up after they have done it, if i ever catch anyone upstairs in my home i will attempt to kill them, downstairs video d.v.d television, upstairs family,Touch my family and i will kill and be dammed the consequences.

N

NottmDon

Man after my own heart Swordsy well said! Far too much time and money is spent on trying to "understand" and "empathise" with the criminal fraternity. I understand 'em ,their low life scum sucking scrotes. The death penalty will never be reintroduced because labour have signed away our rights to europe on this issue, thank you Jack Straw! Prisons are over crowded because there nice places to stay. We (as taxpayers) spend more money on the welfare of prisoners whilst old people are murdered in their homes or die of cold and malnourishment! Its a national disgrace!