McDonalds

F

Fred Bonney

Just thought you might like to see a visitor to my bird feeders.
Picture taken through my closed kitchen window!

T

The Monk

Oh sorry Fred just found it, excellent shot mate, I had a sparrow hawk ealier this year in the garden, it wacked a turtle dove clear off the fence, I got the camera out but could get any decent shots, then the girlfriend ran out, scared the sparrow hawk off and I had to run this bloody half eaten pigeon to the vets

(bloody women)

jp

Reaction score
It's in Freds garden...................

............ or, the link at the top of the page?

T

Terry Comerford

Nice one.
I've just given it 5 Fred, did you put the lens against the window glass?

T

Terry Comerford

Try it next time, you then can't even see the glass, it works with wire fences and bars on cages at the zoo also.

F

Fred Bonney

Terry,I must admit,you read about not taking photo's thru glass,would I have got a better picture with the lens touching?
Monk,I have only find traces of one sparrow,so he's not been too successful,maybe a juvenile?He's trying hard though.
By the way,my camera is a Fuji S3000 and at present, I've not moved beyond the automatic setting!

F

Fred Bonney

Timing,just trying to work out how you put a lense up against a bar and get a clear picture ;o)
Perhaps you must have empty glasses on the bar?

T

Terry Comerford

Yes Fred up against the glass is better, no flare and no reflections.
As close to the bars as poss, there are usually wild animals behind bars and fences so just as close as possible, the camera will focus on the subject and the fences and bars will disappear out of focus.
(After 11pm especially) ;)

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's a nice photo that Fred.
I have a sparrowhawk visiting my garden every day. Today it was sat on the fence watching the small birds feeding about 10 feet away.
One sparrowhawk flew into my window one day and left a perfect impression of its self against the glass. Outspread wings, eye, feathers the lot.

T

The Monk

Terry`s right of course, you out focus fences and bars, I often use this method when I`m photgraphing animals at zoos.

Try your apperture priority setting Fred, you will probably need a tripod for this, but you can set your apperture at its largest number and it will increase your depth of field considerably, for sports photography or fast moving birds, try shutter priority and increase the ASA settings, it really is worth playing about with various settings, also try bulb in mannual for things like lightening and firework displays

M

Malcolm Bason

That clear Fred?

ha ha ha such talke takes me back to my photography days Monk!

T

The Monk

haha, I still get confused myself, I`m auto most things really! In fact I do most of my weddings in auto these days

(thank god for Photoshop)