Asian Tsunami

V

Vince Battams

After watching the horrific scenes of the Asian Tsunami and the BBC programme tonight and the appeal afterwards where it stated ?50 would be the equivalent of one new shelter for a family within the stricken zone, appalled by this myself and two daughters aged 16 and 9 scoured the house for whatever loose change we could muster, we have bagged up ?30 for which i will be making a donation tomorrow. For more details and how to make donations you can look on www.dec.org.uk I ask you to scour your house for loose change and bag it up and make a donation, lets see how much we can raise throught his thread at fishing magic for this appeal and please do not make false declarations, it would be nice to know the genuine amount we between us donated.

T

The Monk

very commendable Vince, we all need to pull some weigh on these occasions, probably the worst natural disaster known to man and like many I made a donation a few days ago, many out of pitty and guilt. One thing that has caused me concern however is the looting of tourist possesions by the locals, while apparently some of the local taxi drivers in Sri Lanka were actually charging astronomical and comparative highly inflated fares to get people out of the disaster areas, nothing like cashing in on the miseries of others!.

W

Wolfman Woody

I can ill afford it this year, but last night I thought, well I'll be sleeping in a warm dry bed tonight having been well fed and maybe well oiled. So I did ?50 through the www.dec.org.uk

One way or another we'll find it. Every little must help.

Tony Stevens

Reaction score
Good on ya my angling mates,
living on the "Shaky Isles" out on the rim of the Pacific plate we here know that it could well have been us.
Funny but race, colour or creed make no difference at all we all muck in and do what we can to help. With distance money is the first call to get the aid programmes rolling.
If you have a holiday booked ,go, by staying home their economey goes to the dogs and every one suffers a whole lot more; besides you might just be able to help on a more practicle level. Today we heard that the Phuket Hilton is opperating as normal and accepted 200 guests. The markets only closed for 2 days and are now fully opperational.
The downside is the appaling death toll which will almost certainly reach 250,000 or more. Anyone who can use heavy earth moving machinery and or opperate agricultural spray equipment may well find a use for their skills if offered for free.
Failing that the only help you can offer is hard cash and for that there will be gratefull thanks from those who have lost all.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I donated a reasonable sum yesterday.

The recent photos showing the Tsunami moving in on the beach are truly horrific.

Just imagine that lot coming right at you.

T

The Monk

the picture of the young children on the beach sickened me, these were probably the last moments they spent on this Earth, I feel sick even thinking about it!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

What is frightening about a Tsunami is the speed at which it travels. How on earth could they give an early warning system?

I know it doesn't bear thinking about but what if that island in the Canaries does slip? Is anyone or any organisation keeping an eye on the Mid Atlantic Plates.

They have only to move.

P

paul williams 2

Ron, from what i'm led to believe an early warning system is possible, but this disaster happened in Asia....enough said?
I'm confident that most of us with a conscience will do what we feel we can.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

There was a programme on the TV today showing some of the tsunami horror in graphic detail. Those waves were truly frightful, and coming out of a calm sea like that.

If there is a problem in the Mid Atlantic, what chance have people on the West Coast of Ireland, the English channel coastal areas, London, The Fens and worse of the lot: Holland got?

To say nothing of the Eastern seaboard of America.

The Canaries are perhaps 2000 miles from England. If a major undersea quake takes place here, we have only got about 5 hours warning at the best. The tsunami waves can travel at 500 mph.

On the Southern coast of SA, there is a steep continental shelf which helps to counteract the effects of siesmic waves. It seems the most devastating tsunamis occur on gently sloping shores, as was the case in Sri Lanka. Yet in parts, some of those waves were enormous.

This has probabley taught us all a lesson. The power of nature is far more than many can comprehend.

One guy said that the energy released by this disaster was many thousand times greater than the largest nuclear weapon ever exploded, and that the earth actually wobbled on its axis.

Tony Stevens

Reaction score
The first areas to be hit by the tsunami were very close to the eppicentre of the earthquake ie the Andaman and Nicobar islands; the waves hit within minutes and no warning system could have predicted the event in time to be any good.
However in NZ and Australia and other Pacific rim countries we do have an early warning prediction system in place. This only gives the probability of earthquake and does not tell you with any presision when or where. When one does happen the system can often give a little warning though.
With luck our village (200 persons) will be able to contribute a little over
$12,000 this month in aid to the victims.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Does anyone think that all the underground nuclear testing that has gone on in these Asian areas has contributed to the weakening of the earths crust and caused these type of things ?? -- surely the power of these nuclear devices must have some detrimental effect

T

The Monk

the Pacific tests which were done many years ago by the Americans turned some of the Easter islands into Mushrooms and some actually calapsed into the sea, there must be contributing factors here!, in comparison the Earths crust is like a giant egg shell full of cracks sat above a layer of molten rock, its not very stable at the best of times.

S

swordsy

When india tested their new toy, not long after they had an earthquake, there must be some damage done!

W

Wolfman Woody

The line of the tectonic plate that caused this earthquake has caused many of the other famous quakes in the past. Through Italy, Turkey, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, this one, then up through many Pacific island and of course, Japan.

Strangely, you never hear of any in Switzerland, but it's because of the clash between tectonic plates that created the Alps.

Iceland, famous for it's volcanos is also on this same line.

T

The Monk

The Aples are still building Jeff, and ultimately the crust is very thick in Switzerland plus its altitude above sea level, additionally the plate margin is subductive and flows down into the Litherphere