Fly Fishing for Dummies!!

Andy Clarke

Reaction score
Hi all,
I received a fly fishing rod, reel and line for christmas as I mentioned I would love to try it! the only problem is I havent a clue!!! Could some of you master Anglers get back to me with the basics - and I mean basics, how to put the line on the reel? what else do I need tackle wise? how to cast? what flies for what water?
Thanks
Andy

C

Carl Madigan

Blimey anything else? The line needs backing this is braided line and one day I hope you have to use it. The backing goes on the reel itself. I assume you've been given a 9.5ft rod and a 7/8 reel? In that case 30-50' of backing is ok. Then you have to connect the fly line. The knot I use is an albright knot. Either plead at your local tackle shop or search the internet for this. You need a leader from the fly line. I put a braided loop on my fly line to attatch this then tie a loop in the leader and do a loop to loop knot. There are loads of knots to tie the fly on. I would get a magazine there are usually loads of examples there. You can tie a fly to the leader but you will have to tie a tippet on the leader very soon. A breaking strain of 2-3lb is ok on most waters. Again a surgeons knot or water knot is good for this. How to cast? Get lessons. Sorry to be blunt but teaching you by typing is impossible and counter productive. A friend taught me. Find a friend or get professional tuition. What flies? Check out Just fish web site and order a few. F Flies are good tied with cdc. Also anything brown or black and dry will do the trick. This will cover still waters and rivers. Also try a gold ribbed hairs ear gold head thats a great sinking fly you need some montana nymphs too. Fly fishing is too big a subject to find answers on here. Your casting tutor will explain all. Good Luck

M

matthew nightingale 2

If you can get Peter Lapsley's book on river trout fishing and Peter Mackenzie-Philps book on reservoir trout fishing you'll be well set up on the theory.

Find your local tackle shop to advise you on a local club to join and, as Carl suggests, get some professional fly casting tuition. Buy a copy of Trout & Salmon and the professional (AGPAI) instructors will be listed in the Classifieds.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Come to the FM trout fishing fish-in on 16th April.

Details in the Game Fishing Section.