mail order companies

W

William Spencer

who's been the worst of the internet/magazine mail order companies you've had a prob with?
in november i ordered three new rods and reels from telephone tackle(advertised on this site),they took almost three weeks to be delivered and,when they did arrive one of the rods was damaged.looked like some clot had stood on the package.i phoned telephone tackle who said i had to return them to shimano(always someone else's fault)i argued that they had been sent damaged or damaged by their courier.i phoned shimano to see what advice they could give.ten minutes later telephone tackle rung back to say they would have to re-order a new rod send it and re-collect the damaged rod.this is november remember,and,yes i'm still waiting.i phoned telephone last week and was told that they couldn't send a new rod until they had recieved their remittance from their courier.so i'm f***ed with a damaged rod.telephone tackle-the worst mail order company i won't deal with again

W

Wolfman Woody

Presently, it's North West Angling Centre for me.

My son ordered (as a Chrissy pressie) a Fox Elite 6 rod holdall and a matching large carryall. Goods delivered Christmas Eve after I phoned them and they told me they'd had a delivery Thursday morning.

I opened my gift on Christmas Day - it's the larger 9 rod holdall and the Jumbo carryall. Phoned the guys up yesterday and now he tells me they wanted to ship the order before Christmas so they sent the larger holdall and the larger carryall - dearer products at the same price.

Generous except that I WANTED the 6 rod holdall and only a large carryall specifically because of size.

That's like saying "Yes sir, we see you only order size 6 boots, but thought you'd appreciate wearing size 9s at the same price.

Hopefully they will put this matter right. In the fulness of time.

T

The Monk

North West Angling aint too bad normally Jeff, quite a nice shop in an old church at Hindley, they give good discounts and are open to barter

W

Wolfman Woody

Not questioning their generosity Monk. Just the fact that they haven't supplied what the customer ordered.

No point ordering 12' rods if they're going to send 13's. And why bother ordering a 6000 baitrunner if they're going to ship an 8000. God help the matchman who's order some 3lb mono only to spool up with 35lb braid.

Ok, I'm stretching the point a bit now...

T

The Monk

mind you , you could always order 12ft rods, when you really want 13 footers (that might work)? haha

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
The only 2 I've dealt with are, Brentwood Angling and NWAC, bought off both several times, superb service, normally next day delivery.

M

Malcolm Bason

The worst I've had dealing with is a company called "Towsure"!

They offered a great price for a Coleman Double Burner stove - at least ?20 cheeper than any tackle shop!!!

However, their online ordering system is seriously flawed!

It offers no automated email response so you don't know if you order has been received or not??? In my case I waited 4 days and emailed them (on a Sunday). I received a response very quickly which stated that if the money had not been taken from my account then no order would have been received! So, I checked my account, no money taken out, and re-ordered! At the same time I sent another email explaining what i had done etc. quoting the order reference number of both orders.

The next day a coleman was delivered!

The day after that another coleman was delivered!

Four emails later and a phone call, and they deny all knowledge of my having explained what was going on, and that I had initially received an email from them, etc, etc.

They got really snotty about it, and would not accept any fault whatsoever!

They offer a good price, but avoid them like the plague! ((TOWSURE))

matt healey 2

Reaction score
The best mail order company I have found so far is Castaway Tackle either on-line or phone them (ask for Mark) and they always seem to give good advice and sell quality gear and there does seem to be a lack of the total bullsh*t a lot of angling centres give!

W

Wolfman Woody

From this site - Tackleshop were great. Ordered 2:30pm one day, delivered 9:30 next day - AND ALL FOR ?1 delivery charge!
If they have a down side is not a very big range just yet in some areas.

Flack Tackle - what I ordered was out of stock and took about 10 days to send. They were just starting off then, though.

Another good site (sadly not advertising with FM) is Wickford Angling. Good prices and fast delivery.

M

Malcolm Bason

I've ordered thousands of pounds worth of tackle over the last few years from online fishing tackle shops, and have had some great service!

However, as the questions posed by the thread originator were regarding the negative side of mail order, I've refrained from mentioning the good ones!

One other I have not been happy with, and its not a tackle shop at all, but a company that deals with Fishing Abroad.

The company is called Angling Solutions.

They were quite well established, but were taken over earlier this year by a 'John Parry'. Probably a real nice bloke and all the rest, but prior to receiving my cheque for ?100 he was very communicative, unfortunately, trying to get his to reply since has become a real pain.

I'm still not where I stand with my booking? I have not received written confirmation, which he promised me. I have still not received confirmation of receipt of payment. This was all months ago!

Each time I tried to speak with him, he was in france. I gave him two dates, in case the first was'nt acceptable - all i got in the end is "don't worry, your booking is safe".

Great, just hope i book the right week's holiday at work!

N

NottmDon

I ordered a Drennan Barbel rod from a company mail order, the package arrived with just a rod tube and no rod, so I phoned them straight away expecting to get some stroppy response but was pleasantly surprised at their attitude. They'd made a mistake, they admitted it and got the rod sent by courier ASAP. We can all make mistakes ( even me sometimes lol!) its just saying "sorry" that some companies seem hard to do. Ive dealt with the company since because their attitude impressed me and had no further gliches at all. On the other hand... I purchased some years ago a top of the range pole, as I was well into my match fishing back then, unfortunately two weeks after delivery I was in an accident and bust my back, unable to walk for near four years it was a long road to recovery. Upon going fishing again I noticed that the No4 section had a crack in it so I wrote to the manufacturer direct and explained the situation. Their attitude stank! I had purchased their rods, poles, whips even clothing over the years and they treated me like something they had trodden in! I've since found that this companies poles are well known for faults and breaks in their No4 sections. Needless to say I wont buy their products ever again and I tell anyone who is considering doing so my story and show them the letter I received from this "English Made" poles company, one they arent in England anyway too far north for that! I'd have expected better from a Japanese owned company as the Japanese used to have a pride in their products. You live and learn, price doesn't always equate to quality or customer service does it?

W

William Spencer

merv will admit mate that brentwood are bang on,i ordered from these guys a couple of weeks ago and the manufacturer had changed the designs on what was ordered.brentwood had tried phoning but i was at work and the wife on the school run.they rang last thursday(23rd)and delivered the next day xmas eve.top notch

matt healey 2

Reaction score
Forgot to mention excellent service i had from another company/individual I bought a pair of Dave Lumb P1's last year when they arrived the top foot of rod tube was smashed upon inspection there was a fracture on one of the joints about 4" long although the other rod was fine to my eyes, I phoned Dave Lumb to say what was wrong and he said to send both back straight away and he would start building a new pair. He paid for the carriage and got my new rods to me quicker than i thought

It is nice to see a small business worry about what a customer thinks and to be concerned that a rod that appeared to be fine in my eyes might not be or might have a fault i cant see and just replace it instead of messing about and there seeing if there might be a problem later on.

R

Robert Woods 1

I sent an online order for some bits & pieces to Leslie's of Luton on the 30th Dec in morning. It was delivered 31st. Excellent service.

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Being fairly new to computers, the Internet etc. I haven't had much experience of on-line tackle shopping, but experience to date has been very good. I've obtained goods from Nimpopo, Tackleshop UK and Harris Angling. All three have been excellent in that they've kept me informed, advised me of any delays incurred due to out-of-stock items and, where appropriate, advised me of delivery dates. I've been very impressed and would again order from any of the foregoing without hesitation.

W

Wolfman Woody

Harris Angling was always good under Chris and Sue's management. I hope it remains so now that Masterline have taken over although I have noticed how Masterline products have begun to replace other trusted brands.

T

The Monk

Although I`m not actually new to computers, I`ve never fancied sending by bank account details into hyperspace, do I have anything to worry about?