Waterproof Clothing

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
For those of you that are not already aware, i am not one who likes to fish underneath an Umbrella prefering to much rather sit out the rain shower in my Waterproofs.
My Current Waterproofs are a unquilted set of Bib n Brace with matching Hooded Jacket that i bought from ALDI several years ago now, they have been excellent and haven't let me down at all.
I have noticed though that the stitching around crotch area of the Bib n Brace have started to come undone.

I am now in the Market for a New pair of Unquilted Waterproofs.

What influenced you to buy your current Waterproofs ?

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Depends on price. Reggatta light weight Issotex is as good as anything, usually around £15 to £25 for jacket (depending on length and type, full zip or pull over) and £10 to £15 for pants. Pays to shop around. They also do a heavier weight Issotex which go from £40 upwards. There isn't much to choose from between companies like Reggatta and Tresspass.

I do have some waterproof from Protec, pullover top but they made the pants 2" longer for me so they still cover the tops of my boots when sat down. Had them for quite some time and still waterproof today.

coelacanth

Reaction score
Depends on price. Reggatta light weight Issotex is as good as anything, usually around £15 to £25 for jacket (depending on length and type, full zip or pull over) and £10 to £15 for pants. Pays to shop around. They also do a heavier weight Issotex which go from £40 upwards. There isn't much to choose from between companies like Reggatta and Tresspass.

T.J Hughes is good for Regatta stuff, cheap as you like, also TK Maxx.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I have the Force 12 set from Aqua, not cheap.

They pack down well, and have stood upto everything that has been thrown at them, check out Aqua .co.uk. Green in colour.

Diem are another good product but as I haven't used them I can't say how good, only had good reports from a few friends, check out www.johnsonross.co.uk.

I also have a Sundridge jacket and bib & brace, great gear for the winter, but not what you are looking for as the bib & Brace are quilted.

Hope that helps a little.

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Protak (Protak UK - Angling Clothing, Waterproof Clothes and Fishing Accessories) (olive green ) bib and brace about £60. They are waterproof breathable and unquilted - and very good. Another option would be army surplus trousers get new ones from Strikeforce Army Supplies UK | Bath and Somerset genuine issue military clothing and army surplus | webbing rucksacks survival surplus | bcb and webtex , or goretex trousers from TK Max - on a good day anyway. Colour will be variable. Goretex bib and brace will mean Halkon Hunt (expensive) or musto (sailing stuff on ebay not quite as expensive but still £150+).

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have noticed though that the stitching around crotch area of the Bib n Brace have started to come undone.

In that case the best advice would be: don't sit too close to either Cakey or Wol, or Spiders even . . . .

My requirements for new waterproofs were:

Light but still totally waterproof - its amazing how some of the cheaper brands state 'waterproof' and yet let water like Portsmouth's defence let in goals.

Breathable, this for me was a must have, Ididn't want to have to buy 2 sets for summer and winter, so breathable, every time.

Comfortable to wear; I tried on quite a few sets and most were just bluidy uncomfortable.

My choice is for a bib and brace with a jacket with storm cuffs, decent pockets, and good fitting hood with a draw string and a peak.

Comparative lightness, given the other considerations too, as I don;t want to have to lug them around when not actually needed, but might need later in the day.

I opted for the Preston Dri-Fish in the end as being the best make to meet my requirements. They are not the cheapest, but I have no complaints a year or so on from buying them.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
I still use the soldier 95 ripstop jacket for most sessions and Gore Tex jacket / trousers when required, I've not had a drop get through.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
For winter I have a quilted bib and brace and jacket made by Sundridge - muted green total water proof and warm

Summer it's a Diem green water proof jacket and some no brand water proof over trousers

Bluenose

Reaction score
Soldier 95 standard army issue goretex jacket. Cheap as chips on ebay with weekend warriors flogging them off.

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Sundridge Bib and Brace - well worth it. Berghaus coat, again not cheap, but repaid me many times. I think the evidence points to Sundridge.... No camo, Eddie (above) cos that's fashion, isn't it???

flightliner

Reaction score
Soldier 95 standard army issue goretex jacket. Cheap as chips on ebay with weekend warriors flogging them off
I,ll second that-- just so convenient, you can stand/sit out all day in them and stay perfectly dry. Sixty quid new for jacket and trews or about thirty five£ second hand from Denbigh army surplus.

Shine

Reaction score
T.J Hughes is good for Regatta stuff, cheap as you like, also TK Maxx.

Materland also do Regatta gear.

I have....

For summer, Trakker downpour jacket and Trousers. Older style. Light, fits into a pocket on my fishing bag. 100% water proof.

Autumn, and when it gets chilly around the willy. Wychwood suit, bib 'n brace kind. Water proof, warm, more bulky.

Freezing your dangler off weather. Sundridge suit. bib n brace kind. Waterproof. Keeps me so warm it's unreal. Can't pack into anything. Makes me look like the Michelin man, but one of the best bits of fishing gear I'd recommend to anyone. Mines about 5 years old now, been through 4 winters and still does what it should. This year will be a test though as I think I've put on an ounce or 2 :)

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Whatever you buy be sure that you -

Try the stuff on in the store to make sure it fits properly. So much that is made in China now for the fishing market is badly sized, slack around waiste and tight around the neck and v.v.

Look at its waterproofing qualities. It will or should tell you it's tested to 5000mm or greater (which is better still). At 5000 it's usually waterproof, but if it says so on the label then it's GOT TO BE!

As for breathability, that all depends on 1) relative humidity in the atmosphere and 2) how much you sweat and how much effort you are creating. For example, a hot muggy day when you're tramping along the bank and sweating your tuckres off, the breathability will not cope and the sweat will accumulate on your inner garments. You should also choose inner garments that wick away the moisture quickly, not wools or cottons, synthetics normally do a better job.

I went to Bicester Village last week and bought a Helly Hanson rainproof jacket, fully waterproof and breathable. It has passed on the first, butthe usual problems exist on teh breathability bit. The times when I was testing it, it was hot and muggy and I sweated, boy did I sweat. Sat down though, doing nothing other than watching a feeder tip and it's fine, packs down into it's own pocket too. Price - supposedly £99 (yeh?) and they were selling them for £29.99 (reasonable, reasonable!)

---------- Post added at 11:37 ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 ----------

Soldier 95 standard army issue goretex jacket. Cheap as chips on ebay with weekend warriors flogging them off.
One chap's just been arrested for nicking Army stuff and selling it on Ebay. You not guilty of receiving are you Bluenose? :D :D

Last edited:

Bluenose

Reaction score
One chap's just been arrested for nicking Army stuff and selling it on Ebay. You not guilty of receiving are you Bluenose?

Mine was second hand Jethro but I wish I'd spent the extra £20 and bought new.

No camo, Eddie (above) cos that's fashion, isn't it???

I think only the realltree stuff is trendy mate, 1970's dpm is retro I reckon.

Sundridge stuff is ace Steph but most is quilted. The Igloo 2 pce is the best bit of gear I ever owned, expensive though and quilted. If I was buying new tomorrow I'd buy the Army Gortex for a top layer no question. I think a bit of padding is worth having in the B&B, especially toward the lower/mid back area.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Thanks everyone,

Some great replies and certainly some food for Thought.

---------- Post added at 12:08 ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 ----------

I think only the realltree stuff is trendy mate, 1970's dpm is retro I reckon.
Strange thing about the realtree kit-- anyone wearing it on the trent can be seen a mile away!

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Stealth-- just a quikie-- make sure anything you get has plenty of room in the groinal area !!!!

---------- Post added at 12:08 ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 ----------

Strange thing about the realtree kit-- anyone wearing it on the trent can be seen a mile away!

Especially if you're watching them through the ''Bring 'em nears'' (binoculars). :D